***Updated*** Easy Root Available. 3 step process

Daethian

Reaction score
I can't post over at XDA so will do it here.

I have installed HTC Sync and rebooted my PC.
I downloaded the ADB for dummies and ran it.
I know my phone should be on Charge Only and USB Debugging enabled.
Never repeat step 1 but you may have to repeat step 3.

I downloaded thunderbolt.rar from XDA link just now, is this a valid download?

What do I do with the .rar ? Extract it to where?

Step one says 'program should say..." What program??? Am I launching something on the PC? Is something auto launching?

I have rooted my OG Droid but this seems different and yes there seems to be some information missing from the 3 step PDF.

lee__D

Reaction score
I can't post over at XDA so will do it here.

I have installed HTC Sync and rebooted my PC.
I downloaded the ADB for dummies and ran it.
I know my phone should be on Charge Only and USB Debugging enabled.
Never repeat step 1 but you may have to repeat step 3.

I downloaded thunderbolt.rar from XDA link just now, is this a valid download?

What do I do with the .rar ? Extract it to where?

Step one says 'program should say..." What program??? Am I launching something on the PC? Is something auto launching?

I have rooted my OG Droid but this seems different and yes there seems to be some information missing from the 3 step PDF.

unzip the file ("root for thunder bolt" - or w/e it's called). right cilck and the third unzip option should say "unzip to root for thunderbolt", click that and it creates an unzipped folder of the same name.

Go in that folder and "rooter" is the program you need. i think u may have to install it first (rooter.exe) but i cant quite remember.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Unzip the rar file with winrar. Like mentioned it will give you a folder. Inside this folder is root.exe. Run this. That will open up an app that your going to use for the root process. From here follow the PDF.

I say this and dont mean it in a negative or hateful way but if you dont know what to do with a rar file then theres probably a good chance you shouldn't be trying to root your phone. Again not trying to be mean, I just dont want to see anyone turn there phone into a paper weight and loose 600 bucks,

If you do go through with it PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

I will be around again tonight to help out. Prob around 7 central time or so. So anyone who is needing the help if you want to hang tight till then I will try to give you a hand.

Last edited:

Daethian

Reaction score
LOL no worry I worded that wrong. I absolutely understand how to extract I was really trying to determine if there was a specific place on my hard drive that I need to extract to so that I can avoid issues.

I need to have my ducks in a row before I root... Can't afford to replace if I brick!

Thanks for the speedy reply!

lee__D

Reaction score
LOL no worry I worded that wrong. I absolutely understand how to extract I was really trying to determine if there was a specific place on my hard drive that I need to extract to so that I can avoid issues.

I need to have my ducks in a row before I root... Can't afford to replace if I brick!

Thanks for the speedy reply!
no, i just put mine in my documents folder here at work

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Yeah it shouldnt matter were you unzip it.

I would recomend installing ADB first with the dummies method I linked to.

You then need to have htc sync drivers installed. Verify its working by making sure its seeing the phone.

Then just use the root app. The root app should reboot your phone every step. If it doesnt reboot, DO NOT reboot on your own. Run the step again until it reboots. If you have to retry, and you probably will unplug then phone from USB make sure its set to debug, and charge only, try it again. Rinse and repeat for steps 1 - 3.

duckswtfpwn

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone

I want to root my Thunderbolt as I rooted my original Droid 1 back in the day. I guess I have a couple of questions and I have to be honest that I'm tired of scouring through all of the messages on these boards to find the simplest of answers.

1) Once rooted will I be still able to use HTC Sense?
2) Aside from the permission and folder viewer what other Apps are must have before or after rooting?
3) What else will I lose from rooting the phone? HTC Widgets? Do I have to redownload and install all of the existing apps?

My biggest concerns are getting rid of Bloatware, setting up battery saving, and to have a tiny bit of control of software automatically booting with the device.

Sorry sorta a newb at this and my eyes are bleeding from reading page after page of forum posts. :)

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
You will not loose sense, unless you want to. IE custom rom.

Dont know what your asking here? Do you mean what apps are REQUIRED in order to root? Or do you just mean in general? If its the first, please see OP. If its the 2nd, you mentioned your OG was rooted, so you should have a good idea of what apps are available and usefull for rooted phones.

You wont loose anything from rooting the phone. It will stay the same. The only way you will loose something is if you install a custom ROM that has cut something out.

Under clocking the CPU when screen is off will safe you a ton on your battery. Between it and Juice defender my battery life went from one day to 2. Litterally.

duckswtfpwn

Reaction score
Well I have downloaded everything, including the PDF. I think I will get this rooted tonight while I watch the Anaheim Ducks WTF pwn Calgary!

Thanks for the help. I will definitely start with rooting before attempting to think about Flashing a ROM. Some look cool, but at this point I am happy with what I have at them moment.

cpjr

Reaction score
I finally got around to rooting mine today and have to say, it was actually very easy.

tu3218

Reaction score
Unzip the rar file with winrar. Like mentioned it will give you a folder. Inside this folder is root.exe. Run this. That will open up an app that your going to use for the root process. From here follow the PDF.

I say this and dont mean it in a negative or hateful way but if you dont know what to do with a rar file then theres probably a good chance you shouldn't be trying to root your phone. Again not trying to be mean, I just dont want to see anyone turn there phone into a paper weight and loose 600 bucks,

If you do go through with it PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

I will be around again tonight to help out. Prob around 7 central time or so. So anyone who is needing the help if you want to hang tight till then I will try to give you a hand.

Is the root.exe file found inside the unzipped thunderbolt root folder the same as the "rooter (2).exe file found on the xda site? I'm assuming it is just wanted to make sure.

tu3218

Reaction score
@TU3218 Yep.

Okay thanks, so I installed HTC sync the first day I got my TB, and I'm pretty sure I have the right version. But I have my TB in charge only with debugging enabled. Should HTC sync pick up my TB as of now? I didn't know if rooter was suppose to say that it identified my device before I actually click step 1.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
No it wont say it identifies till after you click step 1

tu3218

Reaction score
okay thanks, I'm gonna give a shot now.

EDIT: I started step 1 and didn't reboot, I exited and clicked it again and it didn't reboot again. Is it normal not to do reboot twice in a row of clicking step 1?

Last edited: