update.zip question

mikecolorama

Reaction score
if i want to dl something using the update.zip method, what happens the next time i want to dl something and that needs to be renamed to update.zip.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You rename the first one, then you rename the current one update.zip....lol

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
so, if i rename each of them update.zip, does that mean that i will have multiple update.zip on my SD?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yep....therefore rename the first one something other than update.zip.

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
So if I'm dl a bootanimation, do I name it bootanimation.update.zip and if I'm dl a new kernal do I name it _______.update.zip

shmoo

Reaction score
No for a bootanimation you would call it bootanimation.zip. For a kernel you would just name it update.zip nothing more.

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
No for a bootanimation you would call it bootanimation.zip. For a kernel you would just name it update.zip nothing more.
So I guess my main question is what do I do the next time I need to rename something update.zip? Does it override the previous one or will I have several update.zip's?

Droids

Reaction score
You can only have one file named update.zip in the root of the sd card. After you have used it, you would rename it or move into a folder. Once you apply an update.zip file it doesn't have to stay in the root anymore, so just rename it or move it.

shmoo

Reaction score
Here's the method I use. Create a folder to keep all of your roms and the such in. After you download them move them to that folder. When you want to use one of those files copy it it to the root of your sd. Rename it update and use it. When you have something new that needs to be named update just delete the update.zip that's already there, because you have a copy of it in your rom folder from the start of this post. Make sense?

OP
mikecolorama

mikecolorama

Reaction score
Here's the method I use. Create a folder to keep all of your roms and the such in. After you download them move them to that folder. When you want to use one of those files copy it it to the root of your sd. Rename it update and use it. When you have something new that needs to be named update just delete the update.zip that's already there, because you have a copy of it in your rom folder from the start of this post. Make sense?
Now I got it. Thanks so much for the help.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Perfect solution! I keep them on my PC but if there's room I suppose it could be on the sdcard. My folder is simply called update.zips and is within a droid_rooting folder. That way anything I want in there I know needs to be renamed to update.zip to be applied.

shmoo

Reaction score
Glad that I could help. I put mine into a ROMS folder and then from there have folders for oc kernels and nandroids and update files

goldwingnut

Reaction score
I understand Titanium sys/data/app backups, clockworkmod backups, and I have searched google, wiki, and this forum. And I cannot find a direct explanation of what an update.zip is. I know one can be created with TB and loaded with clockworkmod, but I don't understand what is being created, exactly what is this for.

I have rooted, installed Lib1.5 ROM, and Big DX Crystal theme...

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I've never made one with Titanium Backup, but what I would assume is being created is basically just a restore file. Since TB backs up your apps and such, it makes sense that it deals only with those things it does, not something as deep as the ROM or OS. Basically, just something that you can use to reload all your apps and batch file schedules you run in TB.
I'll play with mine and look inside and see if I can figure it out for sure though.