[Update] Verizon's New Family Data Plans Begin: It's Called the Share Everything Plan

nikecar

Reaction score
I think VZW is definitely going after the biggest demograpgic with this as it will help the 4-5 person family that only use data for e-mail/check google/download apps, but on the other hand it is really going to hurt the power users and 1 or 2 line customers who will be paying a lot more for a lot less.

Old PlansNew Plans
2GB for $30

5GB for $50
10GB for $80
1GB for $50
2GB for $60
4GB for $70
6GB for $80
8GB for $90
10GB for $100

Ignoring people on unlimited because this is a bad deal no matter how you look at it:

1 phone who used 2GB was $30, it will be $60
1 phone who used 5GB was $50, it will be $80
1 phone who used 10GB was $80, it will be $100

2 phones who used 2GB each was $60, it will be $70
2 phones who used 5GB each was $100, it will be $100
2 phones who used 10GB each was $160, it will be impossible but limited to $100

3 phones who used 2GB each was $90, it will be $80
3 phones who used 5GB each was $150, it will be impossible but limited to $100
3 phones who used 10GB each was $160, it will be impossible but limited to $100

4 phones who used 2GB each was $120, it will be $90
4 phones who used 5GB each was $2000, it will be impossible but limited to $100
4 phones who used 10GB each was $320, it will be impossible but limited to $100

And of course you can mix and match on the old plans but that is to many iterations and I'm lazy.

So the large plans will definitely see the biggest benefit, but will also be forced into submission on how much data an account can use. Cutting back on data use is about the only course of action for a 4 or 5 device household with anything more than moderate usage.

as a PP stated, that doesn't include line charges.

I think this might be more realistic based on the basic 450 plan of $40 (since we all agree minutes aren't that important, but this is a STARTING point)

1 phone who used 2GB was $70 ($30+$40), it will be $100 (60+40 line charge)
1 phone who used 5GB was $90 ($50+$40), it will be $120 ($80+$40)
1 phone who used 10GB was $120($80+$40), it will be $140 ($100+$40)

lowest current plan is $70 for 700 minutes for 2 lines plus $10ea after.
2 phones who used 2GB each was $130 ($60+$70), it will be $140 ($60+$80)
2 phones who used 5GB each was $170 ($100+$70), it will be $180 ($100+$80)
2 phones who used 10GB each was $230 ($160+$70), it will be impossible but limited to $180 ($100+$80)

$70+10line
3 phones who used 2GB each was $170 ($90+$80), it will be $200($80+$120)
3 phones who used 5GB each was $150 ($150+$80), it will be impossible but limited to $220 ($100+$120)
3 phones who used 10GB each was $320 ($240+$80), it will be impossible but limited to $220($100+$120)

4 phones who used 2GB each was $210($120+$90), it will be $250($90+$160)
4 phones who used 5GB each was $290 ($200+$90), it will be impossible but limited to $260($100+$160)
4 phones who used 10GB each was $410 ($320+$90), it will be impossible but limited to $260($100+$160)

bryeds

Reaction score
I see some of the points where people are getting screwed over, mostly people who don't have someone to share the plan with, but I'm excited for the new plans! I just got my bill down to $100/mo for 900 min and 4gb data but then my new wife has a plan that is about $80/mo - from what they are saying I can get us both on a plan sharing 6gb data and unlim minutes/text messages for only $120/mo ... considering that our separate plans cost us $180/mo, this is going to be great! Well, my business pays for my phone, hers is separate. She has unlimited data, as do many people, BUT do you really use unlimited data? I cut down my phone bill by getting off my unlimited data plan (it was a corporate email plan, I could not switch it to a personal unlimited plan as it was after they dropped unlimited data) ... I only use about 1gb/mo maybe a little more, and the way they have it, when you go over you get a pack of 1gb or so for $10, I'd rather save the money and only pay for an extra amount of data if I go over. I see why people are upset about losing unlimited data, it would be like a dinner buffet that used to allow for unlimited trips and they evaluated whether or not everyone was actually making unlimited trips, they find that the average is 2, so they tell you that you can make 4 trips. Even moderate to heavy eaters are only taking 3 to 3.5 trips to the bufet but the people making the most noise about it are the very few who actualy make more than 4 trips and the people who make 2 trips to the buffet but like the idea of getting as much as they want. The idea of unlimited is wonderful, but do you actually use it? Wouldn't you want to save some money if you actually can share the plan? Yeah, they should make it more accessible to the people who can't share the plan, but, oh well ... get married or or a close friend to sign up with you, it'll be cheaper!

truebluebpb

Reaction score
What happens to the person who is single and has unlimited data plan and doesn't need or want a share plan -- OR -- the customer with a family share plan who basically is in the same position because she is the only one with (or wants) a smartphone and she is on unlimited data plan?

doomgazer

Reaction score
I see some of the points where people are getting screwed over, mostly people who don't have someone to share the plan with, but I'm excited for the new plans! I just got my bill down to $100/mo for 900 min and 4gb data but then my new wife has a plan that is about $80/mo - from what they are saying I can get us both on a plan sharing 6gb data and unlim minutes/text messages for only $120/mo ... considering that our separate plans cost us $180/mo, this is going to be great! Well, my business pays for my phone, hers is separate. She has unlimited data, as do many people, BUT do you really use unlimited data? I cut down my phone bill by getting off my unlimited data plan (it was a corporate email plan, I could not switch it to a personal unlimited plan as it was after they dropped unlimited data) ... I only use about 1gb/mo maybe a little more, and the way they have it, when you go over you get a pack of 1gb or so for $10, I'd rather save the money and only pay for an extra amount of data if I go over. I see why people are upset about losing unlimited data, it would be like a dinner buffet that used to allow for unlimited trips and they evaluated whether or not everyone was actually making unlimited trips, they find that the average is 2, so they tell you that you can make 4 trips. Even moderate to heavy eaters are only taking 3 to 3.5 trips to the bufet but the people making the most noise about it are the very few who actualy make more than 4 trips and the people who make 2 trips to the buffet but like the idea of getting as much as they want. The idea of unlimited is wonderful, but do you actually use it? Wouldn't you want to save some money if you actually can share the plan? Yeah, they should make it more accessible to the people who can't share the plan, but, oh well ... get married or or a close friend to sign up with you, it'll be cheaper!

Actually the combined plan would cost you about $160/mo before fees+taxes. It's $40/ea/mo per smart phone for the minutes+text PLUS an additional $80/mo for 6GB shared data.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
. There's really no benefit (or cost savings) to having a land line phone anymore except for maybe peace of mind (babysitter at home with kids, power outage, emergency and cell towers loaded, etc).

Good # to give out when asked for one...that way it's the only place telemarketers call.....you know, the ones who ignore the Do Not Call List.

silverfang77

Reaction score
Is everyone being forced onto shared plans, or will there still be individual plans?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

Zanzaras

Reaction score
Good # to give out when asked for one...that way it's the only place telemarketers call.....you know, the ones who ignore the Do Not Call List.

Ahhh... that's what we use the extra Google Voice number for. :biggrin:

doomgazer

Reaction score

Or sign up for a free Google Voice number that forwards to your mobile. You can then block/blacklist numbers and unknown callers as needed.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is everyone being forced onto shared plans, or will there still be individual plans?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

I've heard there are individuals available. If you have more than one line, you'll be forced into this though.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I don't know that people will defect in droves back to land lines simply because people love the convenience of having a mobile phone. What will more likely happen is you will see the resurgence of the feature phone (ie dumb phone) as people drop their data plans and extra perks, but choose to keep the mobile phone. There's really no benefit (or cost savings) to having a land line phone anymore except for maybe peace of mind (babysitter at home with kids, power outage, emergency and cell towers loaded, etc).

Have you been into a VZW store lately?? Or checked online Their selection of feature phones is very minimal. And most of them are junk. I remember when you could actually get a cool touchscreen feature phone that had decent build quality. Now they feel like they will fall apart after a week and have no nice features at all. This is how VZW is convincing everyone that they need a smartphone. Don't give them any other decent options.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Your math is off a bit I think. With the new plans, two phones will be $80 dollars, plus another $80 for the 6GB tier of data, for a total of $160 (not $120 as you said). That may not be as great a deal as you originally thought, but that is still cheaper for you. You are one of the folks that can benefit from this.

bryeds

Reaction score
Actually the combined plan would cost you about $160/mo before fees+taxes. It's $40/ea/mo per smart phone for the minutes+text PLUS an additional $80/mo for 6GB shared data.

Well, I take back what i said if that is the case, I'm in the screwed lot as well then! unfortunately, its like gas prices, not much we can do about it aside from going to cricket or something that is super cheap, sub par service, but unlimited everything. If this is what VZW is doing, AT&T will follow, as will the other carriers, and it will just plain cost more to use the service we want. My first GSM phone was expensive, but now I'd love to have that bill, it is seemingly cheap. As time goes on, services prices go up .. not much we can do but be cows in a corral and mindlessly walk our way into the slaughterhouse. Fortunately my contract is over in september so maybe i'll have some sort of leverage, but then again, at the rate they have been changing things maybe there will be something better come september.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
At first I didn't notice the access charge, and just noticed the plan. I thought to myself, it's not that bad paying $100 month for 10GB that I can share between my phone, tablet, and laptop. But then I saw the $40 charge for smartphones, $20 for laptops, and $10 for tablets and I couldn't believe it.

Not much different really.......right now I pay $70 for my phone's monthly, $10 for my wife's ($80). Under the new plan we'd pay $40 for each phone ($80). THEN we pay $30 a month for "unlimited" data for each phone ($60)....under the new plan we'd share 4GB for $70. Which with plan discounts I get, would make us right at about the same price.

It's a shame you have to pay full price to keep your unlimited data. Paying an extra $400 for a phone equals to paying $16.7 more per month for 24 months, or $20 per month for 20 months as Verizon usually lets you upgrade at 20 months. So you may keep your unlimited, but for a fair comparison you are paying $20 more per month for that privilege if you buy a $600 smartphone off contract.

A shame??? The NE2 plan wasn't really.......the plan only gave you a $50 discount on a new phone. OK, so the cost of the phone was further subsidized by the carrier, which just made your monthly plan cost more (nothing is free)....(shrug)