[Update] Verizon's New Family Data Plans Begin: It's Called the Share Everything Plan

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 12, 2012.

1. nikecar

nikecar New Member

as a PP stated, that doesn't include line charges.

I think this might be more realistic based on the basic 450 plan of $40 (since we all agree minutes aren't that important, but this is a STARTING point)

1 phone who used 2GB was $70 ($30+$40), it will be $100 (60+40 line charge)
    1 phone who used 5GB was $90 ($50+$40), it will be $120 ($80+$40)
    1 phone who used 10GB was $120($80+$40), it will be $140 ($100+$40)

lowest current plan is $70 for 700 minutes for 2 lines plus $10ea after.
    2 phones who used 2GB each was $130 ($60+$70), it will be $140 ($60+$80)
    2 phones who used 5GB each was $170 ($100+$70), it will be $180 ($100+$80)
    2 phones who used 10GB each was $230 ($160+$70), it will be impossible but limited to $180 ($100+$80)

$70+10line
    3 phones who used 2GB each was $170 ($90+$80), it will be $200($80+$120)
    3 phones who used 5GB each was $150 ($150+$80), it will be impossible but limited to $220 ($100+$120)
    3 phones who used 10GB each was $320 ($240+$80), it will be impossible but limited to $220($100+$120)

4 phones who used 2GB each was $210($120+$90), it will be $250($90+$160)
    4 phones who used 5GB each was $290 ($200+$90), it will be impossible but limited to $260($100+$160)
    4 phones who used 10GB each was $410 ($320+$90), it will be impossible but limited to $260($100+$160)
  2. bryeds

bryeds New Member

I see some of the points where people are getting screwed over, mostly people who don't have someone to share the plan with, but I'm excited for the new plans! I just got my bill down to $100/mo for 900 min and 4gb data but then my new wife has a plan that is about $80/mo - from what they are saying I can get us both on a plan sharing 6gb data and unlim minutes/text messages for only $120/mo ... considering that our separate plans cost us $180/mo, this is going to be great! Well, my business pays for my phone, hers is separate. She has unlimited data, as do many people, BUT do you really use unlimited data? I cut down my phone bill by getting off my unlimited data plan (it was a corporate email plan, I could not switch it to a personal unlimited plan as it was after they dropped unlimited data) ... I only use about 1gb/mo maybe a little more, and the way they have it, when you go over you get a pack of 1gb or so for $10, I'd rather save the money and only pay for an extra amount of data if I go over. I see why people are upset about losing unlimited data, it would be like a dinner buffet that used to allow for unlimited trips and they evaluated whether or not everyone was actually making unlimited trips, they find that the average is 2, so they tell you that you can make 4 trips. Even moderate to heavy eaters are only taking 3 to 3.5 trips to the bufet but the people making the most noise about it are the very few who actualy make more than 4 trips and the people who make 2 trips to the buffet but like the idea of getting as much as they want. The idea of unlimited is wonderful, but do you actually use it? Wouldn't you want to save some money if you actually can share the plan? Yeah, they should make it more accessible to the people who can't share the plan, but, oh well ... get married or or a close friend to sign up with you, it'll be cheaper!
  3. truebluebpb

truebluebpb Member

What happens to the person who is single and has unlimited data plan and doesn't need or want a share plan -- OR -- the customer with a family share plan who basically is in the same position because she is the only one with (or wants) a smartphone and she is on unlimited data plan?
  4. doomgazer

doomgazer New Member

Actually the combined plan would cost you about $160/mo before fees+taxes. It's $40/ea/mo per smart phone for the minutes+text PLUS an additional $80/mo for 6GB shared data.
  5. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

Good # to give out when asked for one...that way it's the only place telemarketers call.....you know, the ones who ignore the Do Not Call List.
  6. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

Is everyone being forced onto shared plans, or will there still be individual plans?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
  7. Zanzaras

Zanzaras New Member

Ahhh... that's what we use the extra Google Voice number for. :biggrin:
  8. doomgazer

doomgazer New Member

Or sign up for a free Google Voice number that forwards to your mobile. You can then block/blacklist numbers and unknown callers as needed.
  9. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

I've heard there are individuals available. If you have more than one line, you'll be forced into this though.
  10. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Have you been into a VZW store lately?? Or checked online Their selection of feature phones is very minimal. And most of them are junk. I remember when you could actually get a cool touchscreen feature phone that had decent build quality. Now they feel like they will fall apart after a week and have no nice features at all. This is how VZW is convincing everyone that they need a smartphone. Don't give them any other decent options.
  11. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Your math is off a bit I think. With the new plans, two phones will be $80 dollars, plus another $80 for the 6GB tier of data, for a total of $160 (not $120 as you said). That may not be as great a deal as you originally thought, but that is still cheaper for you. You are one of the folks that can benefit from this.
  12. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

13. bryeds

bryeds New Member

Well, I take back what i said if that is the case, I'm in the screwed lot as well then! unfortunately, its like gas prices, not much we can do about it aside from going to cricket or something that is super cheap, sub par service, but unlimited everything. If this is what VZW is doing, AT&T will follow, as will the other carriers, and it will just plain cost more to use the service we want. My first GSM phone was expensive, but now I'd love to have that bill, it is seemingly cheap. As time goes on, services prices go up .. not much we can do but be cows in a corral and mindlessly walk our way into the slaughterhouse. Fortunately my contract is over in september so maybe i'll have some sort of leverage, but then again, at the rate they have been changing things maybe there will be something better come september.
  14. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

15. SteveIrv

SteveIrv New Member

Not much different really.......right now I pay $70 for my phone's monthly, $10 for my wife's ($80). Under the new plan we'd pay $40 for each phone ($80). THEN we pay $30 a month for "unlimited" data for each phone ($60)....under the new plan we'd share 4GB for $70. Which with plan discounts I get, would make us right at about the same price.

A shame??? The NE2 plan wasn't really.......the plan only gave you a $50 discount on a new phone. OK, so the cost of the phone was further subsidized by the carrier, which just made your monthly plan cost more (nothing is free)....(shrug)
  16. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator

Exactly... thank you for doing the research I was too lazy to do :biggrin:!
  17. WishRyder

WishRyder New Member

Before it gets lost in my rambling post, this needs emphasis:

For any family plans with more than 2 phones, the new "per phone" cost completely negates the point of being able to drop the additional data packages. An additional smartphone alone now costs the same amount as an additional smartphone on an existing family plan WITH data package. Standard phones, forget about it. The cost tripled for them.

Additional line smartphone BEFORE (with Data):
    9.99+29.99 = 39.98

Additional line smartphone NOW (BEFORE data plan):

Additional regular phone BEFORE:

Additional regular phone NOW:

Ok, now for a detailed breakdown of my particular plan. I thought surely, with my family plan, I could MAYBE save some money, even with a capped data plan. Currently, I pay for a family play with 5 phones. Myself, my girlfriend, my mom, my dad, and my grandma. This is only 2 smartphones and 3 basic phones. Right now, The primary line pays 65.00 for 1400 shared minutes, and the additional lines are only 9.99 per month. I have two unlimited data plans at 29.99 each, two 5000 sms plans at 20.00 a piece. We never go over our minutes, never over our sms/mms limits, so "Unlimited call/txt" isn't a huge issue. Surely with 3 standard phones, I'm in the clear, right? Wrong...

CURRENT PLAN:

65.00 (Primary line)
    39.96 (9.99x4 Secondary lines)
    59.98 (29.99x2 Data plans)
    40.00 (20.00x2 sms/mms packages)

NEW PLAN

80.00 (40.00x2 Smartphones)
    90.00 (30.00x3 Standard phones)
    100.00 (10GB data package)

The closest way I could come close to "breaking even" on this great new deal, is if I only got the 1GB data package, which would drop me to 220.00, which is still more than I currently pay (and 1GB? We're not HEAVY data users, but no way, no thanks). We would need at least the 4GB plan, more likely the 6GB plan, which would now be at least 250.00.

Can someone explain to me why they aren't charging 10.00 a month for standard phones? Or why it isn't more of a linear $10/GB?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  18. neoterixx64

neoterixx64 New Member

What does all this mean for business customers?
  19. doomgazer

doomgazer New Member

Going in to a VZW corporate store with the intent on saving money and dropping features would be your first mistake. I actually just upgraded a company feature phone at Radio Shack the other day. The selection wasn't as great as it was 5 years ago, but the phones weren't terrible and this particular user just needs to be able to make phone calls. When you're forced to make sacrifices, you can't always have everything.

Remember, the smart phone was designed to replace multiple devices: the pda, the standard mobile phone and the portable music player / entertainment device.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  20. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator

This is what I was asking earlier and what I think they were addressing in the last update to the OP (assuming their source wasn't misinformed).... if you upgrade, even if you are a single device on a single account, you will still be moving to a Share Everything plan (Kind of an insult to injury for the "Forever Alone" crowd). My guess is they do this because they want to encourage people to share the data with either hot-spot/tablet/laptop.
Search tags for this page

alp loyalty access discount

alp voice & message

alp voice & message (talk & text) family shareplan 1400

alp voice and messaging

how to pay for secondary line on family share plan verizon

if i verify my employee discount with verizon will they end

picture message provisioning verizon

verizon alp loyalty access discount

verizon alp share

verizon military discount share everything

vif i am on verizon family plan with a basic phone and i whi