[UPDATE] Google Support of CDMA Galaxy Nexus Never Went Anywhere

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Its no different then what CM does for cdma devices. Everything else is Aosp except the phone and other things from cdma device that is not aosp. Basically nothing has changed..its business as usual.
I have to respectfully disagree..... a quote from this following link......

"Now, here's how things are likely to look in the future for those CDMA devices:

- Most likely, the relevant source files will continue being in the
Android source tree.
- Quite likely, it will be possible to actually compile that code.
- We plan to continue to distribute factory images for Galaxy Nexus
and proprietary binaries for all relevant devices, where we can.
- There won't be any testing done on AOSP builds for those CDMA
devices, so they'll probably bit-rot.

- CDMA devices won't be targeted by improvements in the way AOSP
builds can be installed or distributed.
"

https://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/10c8db7b1c893e1e

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it means not much has changed. They will continue to build and release aosp for our devices - proprietary files and apps. Not a biggie as the dev community is good at getting it added into source builds. Basically it means we will give you what we can. I'm pretty sure Google builds most of if not all the build anyway.

I'm not worried about it. I actually find it quite amusing some folks attempt to "rub" it in like we deserve crap for choosing a nex....obviously

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Its no different then what CM does for cdma devices. Everything else is Aosp except the phone and other things from cdma device that is not aosp. Basically nothing has changed..its business as usual.

Not only that, but I'm sure they did the same for Sprints Nexus S, and will do it again for their Galaxy Nexus.

It's a CDMA thing, not something Verizon themselves are doing.

This may also explain why there are so few WP devices out for CDMA networks. Both Sprint and Verizon only have 1, while AT&T and T-Mobile have a bunch.

Last edited:

sb1831

Reaction score
Summary:

CDMA Nexus ROMS built off of AOSP will not work as well as their GSM counterparts because of licensing which prevents firmware binaries being released. Will possibly slow the OTA times, and your ROMS will be more of the incremental variety with more bit rot.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can someone clarify these posts I'm reading? I'm trying to figure out if I should have ignored the news and rumors, and just expect updates like usual, and consistently since we are using a Google device.

Also, why can't they just build AOSP builds as normal, and include Verizon's bloat post compiled?

sb1831

Reaction score
Can someone clarify these posts I'm reading? I'm trying to figure out if I should have ignored the news and rumors, and just expect updates like usual, and consistently since we are using a Google device.

Also, why can't they just build AOSP builds as normal, and include Verizon's bloat post compiled?

OTA updates will go on as usual. AOSP, though will require certain binaries to be pulled from a physical device which is technically not legal. VZW could in theory try to shut down any major ROM manufactures for distribution of those binaries without licensing agreements.

Josefius

Reaction score

Basically people are putting on tinfoil hats and screaming about stuff. To me, it doesn't change anything on how Google is doing things with VZW phones.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

This has nothing to do with bloatware or big bad Verizon. It's a CDMA thing, and ANY NEXUS that is CDMA would have to go through it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums