Update for a Droid issue

It's Scott

Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid (1) and have been getting countless notifications about an update for this phone. when I go to download and install, I get the message that the update has been aborted. Restart the phone.
Do I need to unroot to get this update? if so...how and then re-root?
will the re-root work?...it the update worth it?

I apologize for my ignorance and appreciate any insight to this.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
On your phone go through these button pushes:

menu -> settings -> about phone

and tell us know what the last four or five things say.

OP
I

It's Scott

Reaction score
Thank you for your help...the information is as follows:
Model Number: Droid
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: C_01.3E.03P
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g874c292 android-build@apa26#1
Build Number: FRG22D

Thank you for responding

xXx817xXx

Reaction score
Thank you for your help...the information is as follows:
Model Number: Droid
Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: C_01.3E.03P
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g874c292 android-build@apa26#1
Build Number: FRG22D

Thank you for responding

Try a custom ROM that already has the OTA, The two ROMs that I tried that are good and are updated to FRG83D are bugless beast and Project elite.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ac...te-4-2-source-frg83d-w-gingerbread-parts.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...bugless-beast-v0-6-2-1-gingerbread-froyo.html

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Thanks for the most excellent post of the info we needed! Oh and BTW :welcome:

Yes a different rom would be in order, one that has FRG83D in the build.prop file. I personally would suggest Cyanogen 6.1.2, a straight Froyo for now, to each their own. I think there's even a pretty much basic one in metickone's (is that how it's spelled?) rom section as well.

Oh and your baseband is out of date. Fix (easiest to find):

Peter Alfonso

good luck

OP
I

It's Scott

Reaction score
trying to learn about this...what is the baseband..and how is that updated?

mr_silent

Reaction score
BaSebands are the frequencies that your phone uses to connect to the cell towers. Be very careful and make sure whatever bband you're upgrading to is supported by the carrier. Learned this one the hard way when I tried to get the C_01.43.?? Version. Basebands are seperate from the os meaning that if you try to make a backup of your rom with your current bband, no matter what you do you won't be able to get the old one to restore unless you can find the .zip file for it and flash it again. Wish people would be more clear about that on sites where they say something like:"basebands are said to improve signal strength, you should always upgrade to the latest version available" nowhere do they mention that the bbands are verizon only, thus I flashed one, bricked my droid1, took it to the carrier and had to threaten to halt my data plan in order to get a replacement phone w/o warranty.(a used model, fairly decent, using it now) I knew what my baseband was supposed to be but I couldn't find it anywhere online. The techies on motos tier 3 support were a joke, I knew more about their phone than they did.
I'm not trying to spook you away from the idea, I just wanna make sure your informed like I wish someone would've informed me.
Hope this helps and be careful.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mr_silent

Reaction score
Thanks for the most excellent post of the info we needed! Oh and BTW :welcome:

Yes a different rom would be in order, one that has FRG83D in the build.prop file. I personally would suggest Cyanogen 6.1.2, a straight Froyo for now, to each their own. I think there's even a pretty much basic one in metickone's (is that how it's spelled?) rom section as well.

Oh and your baseband is out of date. Fix (easiest to find):

Peter Alfonso

good luck

Good post, teddyearp's link will give you the info on how to install, as well as answer any other questions you have about basebands. Petes a good guy too, very responsive if you ask the right questions. He's also the creator of bugless beast. One of my favorite roms.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
mr_silent is pretty much right. Hoever it looks like Pete removed some of the instructions. A baseband updates the software for the actual radio in the phone. It is installed just like any other rom using your favorite custom recovery the usual way for said recovery.

As pointed out, there is no nandroid backup/restore that will change it. The only way to change it is to flash another version of it. Also, after doing so, you will have to re-activate your phone with Verizon; this is different than resigning into your google account after a factory data reset. All you should have to do is dial *22899 and wait for it to finish.

good luck

OP
I

It's Scott

Reaction score
In looking at all this excellent advice, I realize I know far less than I thought I would.
How do I install the ROM?
I felt clueless when I rooted the phone, but thought ignorance, and luck, I followed a series of steps to accomplish this and with great pride, I showed my rooted phone to all.
I now feel even more helpless when it comes to "flashing" something..or installing a ROM.
Is there a place with simple, step by step instructions (that does not get too technical with its terminology) that I can follow to improve my phone?

(geesh talk about feeling like a noob)

OP
I

It's Scott

Reaction score
Thank you to all who have been kind and generous with your knowledge in helping me with the issues I had.
Today, I successfully installed Bugless Beast on my phone and will attempt the Baseline install tomorrow. I installed the FRG83D, but sees there is a FRG83G. should I have installed this instead? What are the differences.
..what is the difference between Deodexed and Odexed versions of the ROM?

Again..thank you !!!!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
FRG22D is the build number for Android version 2.2.1 for the Droid. FRG83G is the build number for Android version 2.2.2, just a minor change and don't know how much it really affects the A855.

Odexed and deodexed, well I don't have the whole answer, just that the deodexed versions are easier to theme (therefore all custom roms are deodexed) as the .apk files within an odexed rom has alot of corresponding .odex files as well. Remove the reliance of the .apk (apps) on the .odex and you have a de-.odex ed rom.

OP
I

It's Scott

Reaction score
While the install of the ROM went without a hitch, I seem to be having difficulties with the install of the baseline.
The link provided in the post from Mr. Silent took me to a page with the d/l for the new baseline. this link for the download took me to a page that Google would not allow. So, I went to the Peter Alfonso site and d/l the latest baseline from there. I put it onto the SD card...renamed it to update and went into recovery mode. followed the prompts to sdcard.update.zip for the install and received error messages about the install being aborted. But..there was a progress bar that seemed to s....l....o...w....l...y be making progress. after a while (10 minutes) I aborted and tried again.
I went searching and saw that this latest update would only take from the previous uptate...so I tried the same procedure but now using the update prior to the latest one listed...same results. when I abort, i can reboot into the old baseline and the phone seems to work. any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?