Unresponsive Apps and Forceclosures

Leoben

Reaction score
Ever since I turned on the phone this morning every app will run fine for a minute and then becomes unresponsive and freezes the phone until I get the force close pop up. It's happening in every app and I've tried turning off the phone and turning it on again. This doesn't resolve the issue. Anyone have an idea of what may be happening and possibble fixes?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check you memory, see if an app is big. maybe checking battery in settings could showan apps thats sucking some battery. if phone boots up, then it sounds like its definitly an app thats causing a problem. Maybe even uninstalling some pointless apps will help, clean thaqt bad boy out.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Factory Data Reset (cures a lot of ills): These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

NOTE: I learned this morning that not everyone has been as lucky as I with the automatic re-installs. So good luck if you end up having to go that route.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Factory Data Reset (cures a lot of ills): These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

NOTE: I learned this morning that not everyone has been as lucky as I with the automatic re-installs. So good luck if you end up having to go that route.
As an addon download sms backup before a factory reset to backup your sms to your gmail and its an easy restore once you factory reset.

OP
L

Leoben

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I just tried uninstalling some apps that I rarely use and I still have the issue. I have 11.84GB of available space on the SD card and 60.44MB on the phone. Will the factory reset wipe out pictures and other data on the SD card?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I just tried uninstalling some apps that I rarely use and I still have the issue. I have 11.84GB of available space on the SD card and 60.44MB on the phone. Will the factory reset wipe out pictures and other data on the SD card?

Not unless you select that option and I can't imagine anyone would. The Reset will only wipe out stuff in the phones internal memory - and then only stuff you've added or changed. Your user installed apps will disappear and so will any settings you've changed. All that will go back to the way it was when it came out of the box.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So does the Google back up save the apps?

Yes. The apps that you've down loaded and installed, if you follow the instructions in post #3 are tied to your Gmail account. I've done dozens of full wipes while installing new or updated roms (which is the same as doing a factory data reset) and all of my apps have been automatically installed each time. The only thing that wasn't installed automatically were the three apps I've gotten from the Amazon App Store. I had to install those manually.

OP
L

Leoben

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be trying this as soon as possible. I've got the phone recharging now. When it resets will it need the OS updated again or will it still be the current version?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be trying this as soon as possible. I've got the phone recharging now. When it resets will it need the OS updated again or will it still be the current version?

It will only affect the stuff you've added to the phone (apps, settings, etc.).

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
60.33mb is low, glad to see your doing a factory reset. :) just as a reminder though, know your gmail password? u will have to relog in when you do the reset so dont try it if you do not know the password. Also Data in your apps will be gone if you dont back that up.

OP
L

Leoben

Reaction score
I did the factory reset and it took care of the problem but I lost all the apps anyways.