Unfortuately Contacts Has Stopped???????

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Back up everything (photos, music, sms/mms, etc). Do an FDR and restore your data. Yes, it is a lot of work, but should always be done when updating a phone. I very rarely have issues when I follow this path.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you're going to hit it with a hammer, use the sledge -- what grenefroggie suggested.

If you really don't want to go that extreme yet, try making sure your contacts are backed up with Google and then we can try other things. But it may end up back where the frogman leadeth anyway.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I get this on the note 4 as well. It's been suggested to clear datat, clear cache, even go into calendar and turn on contact sync. It's my personal opinion that it's a software bug. I've seen more then 20 posts and reports of the same thing between the galaxy and the note series.

Sent from my Note 4

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
I Agree it seems to be a software bug, but why it is showing on some phones only, not all?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The same message affects some Motorola Droid phones also. I'm not sure if this will cause the "contacts has stopped" message, but I know that some folks have reported that if the Contact Name has emoji symbols in it, then the Contact Sync process on the phone fails quite often.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Kind if ironic. After my post on Friday, I got the same message for the first time ever this morning. I opened the Contacts / People app and bam...contacts has stopped. And I am still on 4.4.4. Moto Droid Maxx, and no emojis in any contact names. Rebooted phone and all is good since. Very strange.

Last edited:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Different phone but this has been reported on the note 4 across.both 4.4.4 and 5.0+ for multiple users. Some say opening calendar and selecting contact events has solved their problem but this did not work for me.

Sent from my Note 4

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
Well calendars opening and selecting contact events do help some time, Well I will suggest another way, you should try and transfer content or take backup in other phone , at keep it as backup phone...this will help a lot for contacts management, if you lose one from new phone, copy it from old phone.

kariyatd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
If you have a task killer, see if it's set to kill that app. I have one on my phone and it was constantly giving me that message. Once I told it to stop, I only get it maybe once a week instead of every few minutes.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I get this on the note 4 as well. It's been suggested to clear datat, clear cache, even go into calendar and turn on contact sync. It's my personal opinion that it's a software bug. I've seen more then 20 posts and reports of the same thing between the galaxy and the note series.

Sent from my Note 4
I have had this issue for 2 weeks. Cleared cache, data, force stopped contacts and shut down phone. It's been 5 days and it hasn't come back yet. Fingers crossed as it was really annoying.

Note 4Tified

conanbarb

Reaction score
Do any of you have Microsoft Outlook Preview installed? I initially thought that was the culprit, but I also upgraded to 5.0 around the same time. I did a FDR since the 5.0 upgrade to resolve some other issues I was having and that didn't fix this Contacts problem whatsoever.

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
I'm using Outlook Preview and haven't had any problems with Contacts. I'm also on 5.0.

alicia78

Banned
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SamSung S5
I don't think so the issue is happening because of Microsoft Outlook Preview ..

conanbarb

Reaction score
I installed the round 2 Lollipop update (OC4) yesterday so hopefully that fixes this issue. Too early to tell right now. I was previously on OA8.