Understanding Battery Life...

Galindo62

Reaction score
Do I have a defective battery?

I get 45-55 minutes of browsing before one bar(20%) goes off.

I keep every possible setting to save as much battery.
Wifi off.
4bars average.
Screen as dim as possible...
Etc. Etc.

Please help. Gonna look over some of the response in this thread to see the average..

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I assume you've done a battery pull already. Download Advanced Task Manager and use it to kill all the applications running on your Droid.

If that doesn't help then you most likely have a defective battery.

Download BatteryLife and put it up as a widget - charge it completely and see if it says "good".

Do I have a defective battery?

I get 45-55 minutes of browsing before one bar(20%) goes off.

I keep every possible setting to save as much battery.
Wifi off.
4bars average.
Screen as dim as possible...
Etc. Etc.

Please help. Gonna look over some of the response in this thread to see the average..

Galindo62

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the Droid, and I really like it. Most days, even with pretty heavy use, the battery lasts through MOST of the day. Wi-fi and GPS off, and brightness kept at minimum of course :).

I do think battery life is a weakness though. I am hopeful some 3rd party extended batteries may come out that will relieve the problem somewhat.

I do have one question though. I've heard vibrate sucks battery. That being the case, does haptic feedback have any appreciable effect on battery life? I like the feedback, but if turning it off will net an increase in battery life, it's well worth the sacrifice.
I did 3 test and turning off the haptic feedback had little to no effect on battery life

Not sure about you guys but my battery life does seem much better, but I'm still testing that theory. Anyone noticed a much longer battery life?
Yep. Did a couple of tests and definite increase. Before was 35-45 minutes and with update its 45-55 minutes of constant browsing until 20% went down.

Galindo62

Reaction score
Yeah I've done like 3 since I've had the droid just for experimenting reasons.
And yes I kill apps as soon as I'm done with them. Or every half hour...

Ill try out the widget app.
Thhanks.
I assume you've done a battery pull already. Download Advanced Task Manager and use it to kill all the applications running on your Droid.

If that doesn't help then you most likely have a defective battery.

Download BatteryLife and put it up as a widget - charge it completely and see if it says "good".

Galindo62

Reaction score
After a full charge, "spare parts" application shows that my battery has voltage 4158mV. A trained battery should have higher voltage. (Based on information from Motorola, the battery should be trained on page 8. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile%20Phones/DROID-by-Motorola/US-EN/Documents/Static-Files/DROID_tips%20and%20tricks_EngVZW.pdf)

If you got a bad voltage number (< 4000mV), you may get a bad battery.

I haven't trained my battery but I'm at 4100, usually....

tty

Reaction score
After a full charge, "spare parts" application shows that my battery has voltage 4158mV. A trained battery should have higher voltage. (Based on information from Motorola, the battery should be trained on page 8. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...Static-Files/DROID_tips and tricks_EngVZW.pdf)

That means your battery is OK. You may try to check where your battery power is going using "spare parts" (under partial wake usage). I believe a full charge can let you browse internet for more than 4 hours.

mtbhk44

Reaction score
After a full charge, "spare parts" application shows that my battery has voltage 4158mV. A trained battery should have higher voltage. (Based on information from Motorola, the battery should be trained on page 8. http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...Static-Files/DROID_tips and tricks_EngVZW.pdf)

I had no idea you were supposed to train these batteries. The initial word was they no longer need training. I guess it pays to read the documentation on the phone!

rothenbj

Reaction score
There is no way to get ANY battery to last that long unless you use a cell phone as a paper weight.

I wouldn't say that. I have gone eight hours with a few phone calls, say a half hour to an hour surfing and two or three hours on Pandora. When I checked the battery I was still 70-80%.

On the other hand, I can spend just an hour from a full charge surfing at home and use that much. It all depends on what you're doing and how much the phone has to work to accomplish your tasks. I don't know what the issues are at home. I can sit in the LR, and go from 4 bars of 3G to barely no signal, plus everything in between. Is it the phone, is it the network? I've read posts from others on the subject.

The bottom line here is that most people concerned with their batteries don't have a physical problem with their batteries. Read the posts on the iphone forum. The batteries available are not strong enough for the application. At least with the Droid, we can carry a spare, the iphonies don't have that option.

bergdev

Reaction score
OK, I unplugged my Droid yesterday morning around 7 AM and headed out. It's now 8:25 PM and during that time, I've had my Bluetooth enabled for probably around 8 hours, browsed the web for a few sites, taken and made or received a dozen or so calls, enabled Wi-Fi while at home for about 8 hours, ran Advanced Task Killer to "End All" only about 5 or 6 times (that's another story), changed my wallpaper, browsed pictures, took a few pictures, read some AP news, looked at Facebook, and perhaps other minor activities.

After just over 36 hours my battery is at 30%. During that time, the users are documented as follows:
34% Display
23% Phone Idle
18% Cell Standby
12% Voice Calls
05% Android System
03% Bluetooth
02% Android OS
02% Browser
02% Android Core Apps
02% Google (what is that, a smart phone tax?)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think YOU are the one with the defective battery - how much will you sell it for?

OK, I unplugged my Droid yesterday morning around 7 AM and headed out. It's now 8:25 PM and during that time, I've had my Bluetooth enabled for probably around 8 hours, browsed the web for a few sites, taken and made or received a dozen or so calls, enabled Wi-Fi while at home for about 8 hours, ran Advanced Task Killer to "End All" only about 5 or 6 times (that's another story), changed my wallpaper, browsed pictures, took a few pictures, read some AP news, looked at Facebook, and perhaps other minor activities.

After just over 36 hours my battery is at 30%. During that time, the users are documented as follows:
34% Display
23% Phone Idle
18% Cell Standby
12% Voice Calls
05% Android System
03% Bluetooth
02% Android OS
02% Browser
02% Android Core Apps
02% Google (what is that, a smart phone tax?)

EsiEmi

Reaction score
has anyone tried turning "background data" off?

turned it off and it saves a lot of battery. my battery lasts as much as 40% more now . maybe its just me but i think it makes a lot of difference.

btw its in setting under account & sync

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Turning that off will cripple your ability to do most things with your phone..

If I turned off 3g, didn't take calls, and never turned on the screen I think I could go a week.

has anyone tried turning "background data" off?

turned it off and it saves a lot of battery. my battery lasts as much as 40% more now . maybe its just me but i think it makes a lot of difference.

btw its in setting under account & sync

greg_p

Reaction score
When supposed OFF, The omap may be fully OFF (very few power supply, sufficient to rapidly goes back to life) which will really save battery life. On the droid it efficient, not on the milestone which has a different modem.

Some figures that may be interresting if you fin that when doing aplication, batteries drops very quick...
A cortexa8 that do a while(toto) at about 550~600 is about 100mAmps. If it's drhystoning (70% cache), it's more about 300mAmps... You battery is 1400mAh... and these consumption are only for the cortex, it's far from being the only contributor. Graphics and memory in particular are good ones ;).

dellbert

Reaction score
dellbert

From time to time I go to use the phone and it's dead. then I noticed when I put back in the case it turns back on ! I have to push the button again to turn it off after I put it back in the case. does anybody have this problem?:icon_ devil:

jammin

Reaction score

That means your battery is OK. You may try to check where your battery power is going using "spare parts" (under partial wake usage). I believe a full charge can let you browse internet for more than 4 hours.

So the voltage shows if your battery is okay or not? I have the BatteryLife widget and I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I dont tihnk I've ever seen my voltage >4000 mV. Right now its at 3796 mV. Does that mean I have a bad battery? I do tend to get horrible battery life also.