Erratic Battery Life Problems

Porsche993TT

Reaction score
(I apologize for the extremely long post.)

I have the base Droid model (not sure of any differing technical details between normal Droid models, if there exists any other types of base models). I've owned the phone for about a week and a half (brand new).

I've scoured the forums looking for similar battery problems.. haven't found any. I've also checked all apps to see if they're sucking life out of the battery or anything; there aren't. I lightly use my phone. I have automatic brightness on, screen timeout back to default, and don't use many apps nor do I have any that are secretly sapping power. I mainly text, and really.. barely use my phone. Also, the battery does not get hot at any time.

I had the phone sent to me and received it, powered it on, and had an 80% charge right out of the box, if I remember correctly. It's habit for me to let the battery die out completely before charging it all the way back up. I got 7 hours out of my first use with it, not using my phone for anything but texting and a few light apps that were used for under 5 minutes.

I turned wifi on the next day after charging my phone overnight then downloaded a few apps. This time, I got 1 hour and 8 minutes out of my phone. Charge it again, 45 minutes, then dead. Charge it again, and it goes from 100% to 60% in exactly 40 minutes. So, losing 1% battery each minute. However, when it got to that point, I turned wifi off and GPS off. After doing that, it took 12 1/2 hours to get from 60% to 20%... an absolutely huge leap.

After that, it went back to below decent, and not anywhere near that 12 1/2 hours I got before then. I've been averaging 6 hours of battery life for the past two charges which should not be happening. There are no apps that are draining the battery. According to the battery usage statistics, it's my display that's using the biggest share of power over the life of a charge. It's typically 74%-78%.

As of today, it has gone back to the ultra low battery life times. Today, it took just 2 1/2 hours to get from 100% to 60%. Once it hit 60%, it just took a dive and died within 35 minutes. The most recent charge which just happened a while ago lasted 3 hours and 33 minutes.

I'm charging it now again, and it seems as if it's charging too quickly. I'm not sure on the average charge times for Droids, but I'm not sure it's right if it's going from 0% to 30% charged within 5 minutes at times.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm reluctant to use my phone or any of its features because I'm afraid that if I open one app, or if I'm trying to find my way around and flip the GPS on, or whatever, it'll take an even bigger plunge than it has been without any apps/GPS/wifi/etc. running and die in around 15-20 minutes.

Thanks.

mnw

Reaction score
Same problem

I haven't had the extended battery life issue, but mine dies extremely quickly. i have power control, task killer, etc. and it still lasts only a couple of hours max. it never had this problem before, but after the 2.2 update, it started. i got a replacement phone and it does the exact same thing.

did anything end up resolving your issue??

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Uninstall task killer

dial *#*#4636#*#* to get details on what's using the juice

Uninstall unnecessary widgets, do not use live wallpapers, look out for apps you've installed that load on boot and run in the background. One thing you can try to see if you have a bad battery is:

1)charge the battery
2)reboot into safe mode

If the battery lasts in safe mode, then you know that one of your apps is the culprit.

Last edited: