Understanding Battery Life...

Nick177th

Reaction score
Wow! This was a first for me. I unplugged my phone at 5 a.m. and at 3:19 a.m., I still have 40% battery life. Bought my Droid on release day. I usually unplug about 5-530 a.m.. however, I usually have to plug back up about 630 in the evening. I didn't do anymore or any less than I usually do on my phone. Just thought I'd share my battery life story.

aacanela73

Reaction score
I have had an issue with the battery in the last two days only. All of a sudden it was like to phone went to hell! Lagging screen, force closes for everything, battery sucked dry in three hours from a full charge. I looked at the battery usage and it was the Android system that was sucking it dry at 42%. I started nocking off apps until I found the culprit!! Antivirus app was killing my phone!! Anyone know if these phones really need an antivirus or had any issues with these kind of apps??

Last edited:

jimnutt

Reaction score
I have had an issue with the battery in the last two days only. All of a sudden it was like to phone went to hell! Lagging screen, force closes for everything, battery sucked dry in three hours from a full charge. I looked at the battery usage and it was the Android system that was sucking it dry at 42%. I started nocking off apps until I found the culprit!! Antivirus app was killing my phone!! Anyone know if these phones really need an antivirus or had any issues with these kind of apps??

I would say you don't really need an antivirus. Each app runs as its own user and none of them have root permissions. I suppose it's at least remotely possible there's a virus or worm out there for Android, but it's unlikely.

lamar

Reaction score
E-Mail push on Droid Eris

Hello, I am new to Android phones. I just got an Eris & I am able to receive e-mail if I manually "refresh" it. But how do I set it to refresh automatically. I have my setting to refresh every 15 minutes but it does not do it. Can anyone please help me????

Thank You,

Michael

lamar

Reaction score
Hello, I am a "Newbie", will this affect anything else on the phone? I have an Eris. Can you please tell me how to get to this setting?

Thank You,
Michael

NickName

Reaction score
Understanding Battery Life

Great Topic buddy, also to add to that WIFI is a major killer as well. I notice when I shut off my wifi and GPS location my phone is a complete power house and it lasts all day. Wifi is a major battery killer no need to have it on if your just chilling with the family or running errands. But great suggestions. ALSO DROID IS THE BEST PHONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.............UNTIL DROID 2 COMES OUT LOL

iDroided

Reaction score
Great Topic buddy, also to add to that WIFI is a major killer as well. I notice when I shut off my wifi and GPS location my phone is a complete power house and it lasts all day. Wifi is a major battery killer no need to have it on if your just chilling with the family or running errands. But great suggestions. ALSO DROID IS THE BEST PHONE IN THE WHOLE WORLD.............UNTIL DROID 2 COMES OUT LOL

I believe using WIFI will actually conserve more energy as opposed to just running it off 3G.

EDIT: Maybe this is just when browsing, and keeping it off otherwise?

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Leave em all on. I think anyone who tries to micro manage these settings is wasting time....

The GPS only gets used when an app needs it.

Wi-Fi takes WAY less energy than your phone attempting a constant connection to a far tower.

Bluetooth only activates when you are near your car.

Etc...

I leave them all on.

I believe using WIFI will actually conserve more energy as opposed to just running it off 3G.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Leave em all on. I think anyone who tries to micro manage these settings is wasting time....

The GPS only gets used when an app needs it.

Wi-Fi takes WAY less energy than your phone attempting a constant connection to a far tower.

Bluetooth only activates when you are near your car.

Etc...

I leave them all on.

I would add one caveat to this with security in mind...for battery usage this works. But if you are on your company's wifi most likely they are logging usage so if there is anything you don't want them to see where you are going to like careerbuilder, personal email,...yada yada you want to leave your wifi off .

And I am very leary of connecting to any public access points where I don't know the owner of that AP it leaves you open for a man in the middle type attack unless you are using an encrypted tunnel to a proxy.

But then again my wife says that I am just paranoid about these types of things. :rolleyes:

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
About wifi vs. 3G WHAT TRULY DRAINS BATTERY QUICKER?????? I always wondered that.

mtbhk44

Reaction score
About wifi vs. 3G WHAT TRULY DRAINS BATTERY QUICKER?????? I always wondered that.

I'll say this...if you have a constant wifi connection then wifi is better for battery life than letting the phone hunt for a 3G signal. However, if you are travelling then you are better off leaving wifi off because the phone will use power to find a wifi signal for you to connect to.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Simple - Whichever is using the phone most.

Complicated - 3G can use more than WIFI even if your wifi is using the phone most if you are in an area where you can't get a signal.

pushdrops

Reaction score
Same here on the initial 24hr charge

if i didnt do that 24 hour charge thing, is my battery shot now?
our sales person did not tell us that we were to charge the phone fully before using it. we set them up at the store (new droid and eris) and used them (when home) until the batteries died (the same night) , then charged them overnight (a good 16hrs).

the batteries when "new" , taking home from the store were at around 50% btw.

does this mean that we should have our batteries replaced since they didn't inform us to charge them fully immediately?

the batt's seems to last about the same as my work iphone 3gs except that when my Droid gets down to 20%, it drains very quickly.

thanks

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since you're a newb to the forum I'll be nice and suggest next time please read the prior 12 pages before you ask a question like this.

The answer you would have found about 12 times would be that you cannot hurt a li-ion battery by not charging it, undercharging it, overcharging it, or pooping on it.

Don't worry about it. Your battery is fine. By the way I suggest a dry poop otherwise you may get some electrical problems...:)