Turning off the Stock Messenger

mikespe

Reaction score
Is there a way to turn off the stock messenger? I use Handcent (which I think SHOULD be the stock messenger) but everytime I get a text the stock messenger gets the text and I have to close it then open Handcent.

I thought I read something in one of the android forums I frequent but I can't find it.

Thanks

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
go into messages (native app) and turn off notifications

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

First thing I did when I installed Handcent...Didn't work. Thanks
The Stock messages will still receive the text you can't get around that but you are saying you are getting a notification in the pull down.

I don't know why you are still getting notifications if you turned it off.

You should also turn notifications on in Handcent if you have not done so (I'm assuming you did not because it would show up in pulldown)

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score

First thing I did when I installed Handcent...Didn't work. Thanks
The Stock messages will still receive the text you can't get around that but you are saying you are getting a notification in the pull down.

I don't know why you are still getting notifications if you turned it off.

You should also turn notifications on in Handcent if you have not done so (I'm assuming you did not because it would show up in pulldown)

No not in the pull down notification bar at the top. The messenger program itself opens the text when I receive it. It's that grey text box that opens wit he green reply button. If I could get a screen shot I would...

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
have you gone into Handcent settings/SMS Recieveing settings and put a check mark next to notifications?

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
have you gone into Handcent settings/SMS Recieveing settings and put a check mark next to notifications?

Yes I did that too...Handcent give the Notification in the Notification bar. BUT the MESSENGER program OPENS the text

flameboy

Reaction score
The messenger program itself opens the text when I receive it. It's that grey text box that opens wit he green reply button.

Uhmmm I'm pretty sure that's Handcent, not the stock Messenger program. The Messenger program doesn't do that.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm stumped.

do a simple reset and see if that resolves it....let me guess you did that too : )

unless you are mistaking Handcent with the native app....but I dont know how you would mistake them

fbell

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. If it's not Messenger, does Handcent have a quick view option that we have turned on?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm having the same problem. If it's not Messenger, does Handcent have a quick view option that we have turned on?
yes it pops up on your screen....

has a green send key.

windstrings

Reaction score
I don't recall ever turning off notifications in my stock messenger.... I assume that happened automatically when I chose handcent as my default messenger.

However I too notice the stock messenger likes to run in the background when I go to kill extra running apps.

I don't know if its tied to google talk or not but you can't kill google talk or you won't get app downloads.

I'm assuming the stock messenger is more than just the stock messenger.