How to get rid of default messenger

hogowner

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

I am rooted....and I also have Handcent SMS Messenger installed. When I send or recieve a txt message...I get 2 icons and messeges. One for the default and one for Handcent. Is there a way of getting rid of the defaut txt messege app? I did try with the emulator typing SU and then the remove command....but it didn't work......

unless I typed the wrong command

Thanks in advance

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't get rid of the default messenger without rooting. All you need to do is go into the messenger's settings and turn notifications off. This will prevent dual messages.

Reaction score
Just go into the default messaging app and turn off all the notifications. That essentially gets rid of it. The app is still sitting on your phone but it's not doing anything. You're not getting duplicate messages. Both messaging apps look at the same message. So just turn your notifications off in the default app and you're done.

OP
hogowner

hogowner

Reaction score
You can't get rid of the default messenger without rooting. All you need to do is go into the messenger's settings and turn notifications off. This will prevent dual messages.

I am rooted.....how can I delete the app?

Thanks

warrior21

Reaction score

I am rooted.....how can I delete the app?

Thanks
You don't want to delete the stock app, I heard it causes problems with whatever 3rd party app you are using.

hiphopvenom

Reaction score
Get root explorer go into system/app and delete mms.apk..... I always delete it when I install a new Rom and have never had a problem with handcent