so going to 2.1 i still get

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file...
E:signature verification failed...
Installation aborted.

i used the same file on my wifes phone and it updated in 3 min.

I had rooted my phone but have put it back to stock with RSD

Now what can i do? tried 5 different downloads and even have a known working file, i have factory reset the phone 3 times. offer any ideas you can think of but none the basic newbie ones, i have done them all i think

I just tried to us dmupdater to reroot and then return to stock, i get the same errors when applying the update.zip it loads

I know at this point i should wait for the OTA but I am thinking i will fail doing that as well, just trying to be a bit proactive

WarsDarksider

Reaction score
bump

can you do that here? i have the same issue, well i'm trying to root it. I already installed the 2.1 update with no issues. Now I get that error when trying to root. Tried EVERYTHING!

Yes it's in the root folder
Yes it's been renamed so the ACTUAL file name is correct
Like I said i'm runnin 2.1
Tried MULTIPLE downloads for the superuser file
YES it's the correct size

I looked on this site for multiple posts, searched for this specifically then also searched "can't open cache/recovery/command", thats the error thats displayed when the initial boot loader screen comes up. No one seems to answer, they just avoid the question all together lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bump

can you do that here? i have the same issue, well i'm trying to root it. I already installed the 2.1 update with no issues. Now I get that error when trying to root. Tried EVERYTHING!

Yes it's in the root folder
Yes it's been renamed so the ACTUAL file name is correct
Like I said i'm runnin 2.1
Tried MULTIPLE downloads for the superuser file
YES it's the correct size

I looked on this site for multiple posts, searched for this specifically then also searched "can't open cache/recovery/command", thats the error thats displayed when the initial boot loader screen comes up. No one seems to answer, they just avoid the question all together lol

Do you have the official 2.1 update.

OP
M

mrhammy

Reaction score
yes i have the official 2.1 update and as i said it worked on another phone so i know it is good

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hammy. The official 2.1 is not rooted. Sorry

OP
M

mrhammy

Reaction score
i understand that it is not rooted, i am trying to install it, without root. i do have root on my phone and still can not install i don,t even want root at this point, just 2.1

Goat

Reaction score
I hate when people don't read the post. He's not trying to root he's trying to get the ota to work.

I am having the same prob...

I WAS rooted in 2.0.1. I used RSD and the sbf file to go back to factory state. Now I can get to 2.1. My phone was sent the ota last nite by verizon and when it reboot to install I got the same message as hammy.

I've also tried to manual update and it fails too

Goat

Reaction score
If you have roots and sprecovery it will block the update. Follow this and you will be good:
Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

...what part of I am at a factory state is not understood? I already unrooted and have factory recovedry, rom, NOT ROOTED, etc?

Yet I still can install 2.1...even when I got the ota push...fails verification.

I am only posting because I have exhausted ALL posted ideas with no luck...now I am looking for answers outside the box

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Something is blocking your ota. Sprecovery is one thing the other is if you renamed the otarecert.zip to something else. Try unrooting/unbricking through sbf.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something is blocking your ota. Sprecovery is one thing the other is if you renamed the otarecert.zip to something else. Try unrooting/unbricking through sbf.

Goat has already done that he said. I really don't understand why it wouldn't be working for him.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Goat has already done that he said. I really don't understand why it wouldn't be working for him.

I just read back through it. I must admit I do not know what else will cause it to fail verification unless it is something from verizon's end. Because if you are not rooted and sbf has been flashed, then It would be like a phone out of the box.

Goat

Reaction score

I just read back through it. I must admit I do not know what else will cause it to fail verification unless it is something from verizon's end. Because if you are not rooted and sbf has been flashed, then It would be like a phone out of the box.

I am noticing that during the RSD flash of the 2.0.1 SBF, the last part that flashes is the bootloader and it is failing. I have tried reflashing a dozen times now and that part fails 100% of the time.

Unfortunately the only other tools I have to diagnose is QXDM and QPST, both of which are Qualcomm tools not TI/Moto.

Is there a way to manually reflash JUST the factory bootloader?

EDIT: I also am working on Win7/Vista 64/32 bit. Would RSD work better on XP? I did not have any problems using both Vista and 7 on my GFs Droid.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I am noticing that during the RSD flash of the 2.0.1 SBF, the last part that flashes is the bootloader and it is failing. I have tried reflashing a dozen times now and that part fails 100% of the time.

Unfortunately the only other tools I have to diagnose is QXDM and QPST, both of which are Qualcomm tools not TI/Moto.

Is there a way to manually reflash JUST the factory bootloader?

EDIT: I also am working on Win7/Vista 64/32 bit. Would RSD work better on XP? I did not have any problems using both Vista and 7 on my GFs Droid.

If you are 100% stock and getting failed verifications, at this point remove any remnants of root files on your sdcard, or just remove the sdcard and take it to verizon and tell them you received the ota but it fails verifications. They can probably flash it in the store.

OP
M

mrhammy

Reaction score
so remove anything root on the phone, can i get a copy of the files that would be on a phone out of the box? I have a root folder on my droid not on the card and have no rights to it. It shows empty but without root i can't tell. Should i try and re do the rsd and see if thats solves the issue? I have not gotten the OTA as far as i know but in this state i cant tell