1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Today is Last Chance To Download Adobe Flash for Your Android Device

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 14, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Here's a gentle reminder that the last days of Adobe Flash for Android have finally come. Today will be the last day you can officially download Flash Player for your Android device. Technically, development on it was killed back in 2011, but tomorrow it will be blocked, and its final death knell will be quashed.

Thanks for the reminder, Shadez!
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I am assuming there will be plenty of people downloading and archiving this, and there will be mirrors all over the place, but I'm going to get it now just for "safe keeping".

Thanks for the heads-up! :hail:

P.S. Love the headstone! :biggrin:
  3. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

If a Gingerbread phone has Flash already installed on it and is upgraded to ICS, will Flash still work?
  4. FoxKat

That's debatable. There are some who are reporting from limited success to no problems for the sites they visit, but others are having poor to no results. It seems more tied to what sites are visited. Unfortunately it will only get worse from here. Fortunately the next generation of online video support is starting to take shape...HTML5.

What the End of Mobile Flash Means - Businessweek
  5. silverfang77

silverfang77 Member

I've read about HTML 5, but it's still limited compared to the ubiquitous Flash. I'm going to hope Flash will continue to work for me after ICS comes to my phone and hold onto it until HTML 5 is more widespread.
  6. FoxKat

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. JSM9872

JSM9872 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for the reminder guys!
  8. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

I'm going to grab me a copy of this also and store it for safekeeping.

A shame it was killed though: despite HTML5 being the new and preferred way to go, there are still many legacy sites out there using Flash, and lack of a plugin will make them all but unusable. Having been in web applications development in the past, I can easily say that many site owners had no idea what they were getting into, wanting a "flashy" (no pun intended) site that unknown to them, would leave them trapped. To edit a Flash site, you need to edit the original work files and republish the finished Flash file; it is not like editing a line of text in a standard HTML-based site. A lot of these owners are trapped, IOW, and changing over from Flash will take quite awhile and also be expensive for the site owner, as the ones built solely around Flash would need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. (This is why I always discouraged clients from using Flash...)
  9. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

isn't that the biggest reason on the move to html5... it makes it easier to edit?

I'm going to say I've honestly never looked at html5 much, and I've done some flash coding, though very limited amounts.

hopefully this will be a smooth transition
  10. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

Question--how could I tell which version I have installed? As you know, there is no "app" per se, but all I find is the icon in my app drawer to change settings. I'm certain mine is up to date. I could just grab a backup of this right from my phone, I suppose.
  11. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

Worlds easier. That, and no additional plugin is needed to view content.

If someone has a Flash animation or even just a menu system, it's like having to re-edit an entire movie in order to change a single element. The last time I even touched a Flash project, I had to subcontract it out...I had tried it on my own but poked at it awhile and got frustrated. Worse, since the original developer was nowhere to be found, we could find no matching font for the changed menus, and had to re-assign all the font settings so they all appeared the same! This was for a landscaping company, and the owner was just looking to update his staff listing. In HTML, it would have taken me only a couple of minutes!

Yeah, I'm glad Flash is disappearing from a developer standpoint (and I'm glad I'm out of the old "nuts and bolts" type of development...the "offshoring" killed a lot of our business), but there is still so much out there in Flash that it will probably take a few more years before the bulk of it is purged from the Internet.
  12. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

If you have it on your account will you be able to re-install it even though its not searchable? I ask because when I was on Verizon, I had FoxFi on my DroidX and now that I'm on AT&T with my S3, I found out FoxFi is blocked by AT&T and you can't get it, but since I had it already on my account, I was able to view my past installed apps and even though its blocked on AT&T, I was able to install it without issue. My Dad however had to wait for me to get the APK from my phone and side load it to his Note. His Note is how I found out its blocked on AT&T.
  13. WoZzY

WoZzY The GRD Dev Team Premium Member Developer

HTLM5 is supposed to work so much better From what I understand
  14. Crankintopwater69

Crankintopwater69 Well-Known Member

Thats what I heard and read,but as someone already said,it's gonna take HTLM5 yrs to catch up.Google and Adobe could've come up with something to get us over the hump.
  15. sharkattack99

sharkattack99 New Member

damn i remember when everybody couldn't hardly wait for it to come to android lol now its dead wow didn't last very long.
  16. vaeron

vaeron New Member

With the move to html5 the hope is that a greater number of devices will be able to support the new standard. That said, not every browser renders HTML5 the same way, let alone CSS3. As a developer, I have built my share of Flash sections for clients insistent upon it. That isn't to say that flash is an entirely bad thing. As HTML5 grows and expands. More and more capabilities will allow Flash to slowly die. Unfortunately we are not at the point yet where I think Adobe should abandon their support of one of the most unique features that sets Android off. I know myself and quite a few others who enjoy playing flash games on their phones while they are waiting somewhere; so to try to force other developers to re-develop their games is a slap in the face of long time customers. I bought Flash, it's great for certain things; but there is still a significant web market and I just don't see it dying as quick as Adobe would like it to, and I see a backlash at them happening in the future. That said, I hope HTML5 and CSS3 continue to be worked on, especially because there is so much that can be done for mobile and desktop platforms with very little code change. /END RANT

I guess in my rant I never really answered your question. Plain and simple, yes, HTML5 is way easier to edit. I can simply open it up in a text editor and change what I need to and instantly see the difference, whereas with flash, as mentioned, you generally have to edit it then re-export it. It can be a pain, but it can look SOOO pretty and so much more interactive (for now).
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  17. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

went ahead and loaded the latest update to dropbox:)
  18. LoudRam

LoudRam Well-Known Member

It's still available. I just grabbed it but I'm sure that it won't be there much longer.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums
  19. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember when everyone couldn't wait to get Adobe Flash on their Moto Droids. We were installing beta code and leaked packages, just to see a webpage like it would render on a desktop, on your phone. Now everyone is like, 'good riddance' LOL.
  20. paulhusker

paulhusker New Member

I just stumbled on to this thread. I checked on my Razr Maxx w/ ICS and see I don't have Adobe Flash Player. Play Store doesn't have it anymore. Anybody know where I can grab a copy? I guess I always assumed it was already on my Maxx.
Search tags for this page
adobe archive for android#gsc.tab

adobe flash for android 4.0.4

adobe flash player 11 for android 4.04
adobe flash player archive for android 4.0.4 download
adobe flash player archive page for android 4.0.4
adobe flash player for android 4.0

adobe flash player for android 4.0.4

adobe flash player for android 4.0.4 free download
adobe flash player for android 4.04
adobe flash player for android 4.o4
archived flash player for android 4.0.4