Today is Last Chance To Download Adobe Flash for Your Android Device

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
RIP-Flash.jpeg

Here's a gentle reminder that the last days of Adobe Flash for Android have finally come. Today will be the last day you can officially download Flash Player for your Android device. Technically, development on it was killed back in 2011, but tomorrow it will be blocked, and its final death knell will be quashed.

Thanks for the reminder, Shadez!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am assuming there will be plenty of people downloading and archiving this, and there will be mirrors all over the place, but I'm going to get it now just for "safe keeping".

Thanks for the heads-up! :hail:

P.S. Love the headstone! :biggrin:

silverfang77

Reaction score
If a Gingerbread phone has Flash already installed on it and is upgraded to ICS, will Flash still work?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That's debatable. There are some who are reporting from limited success to no problems for the sites they visit, but others are having poor to no results. It seems more tied to what sites are visited. Unfortunately it will only get worse from here. Fortunately the next generation of online video support is starting to take shape...HTML5.

What the End of Mobile Flash Means - Businessweek

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've read about HTML 5, but it's still limited compared to the ubiquitous Flash. I'm going to hope Flash will continue to work for me after ICS comes to my phone and hold onto it until HTML 5 is more widespread.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Thanks for the reminder guys!

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I'm going to grab me a copy of this also and store it for safekeeping.

A shame it was killed though: despite HTML5 being the new and preferred way to go, there are still many legacy sites out there using Flash, and lack of a plugin will make them all but unusable. Having been in web applications development in the past, I can easily say that many site owners had no idea what they were getting into, wanting a "flashy" (no pun intended) site that unknown to them, would leave them trapped. To edit a Flash site, you need to edit the original work files and republish the finished Flash file; it is not like editing a line of text in a standard HTML-based site. A lot of these owners are trapped, IOW, and changing over from Flash will take quite awhile and also be expensive for the site owner, as the ones built solely around Flash would need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. (This is why I always discouraged clients from using Flash...)

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to grab me a copy of this also and store it for safekeeping.

A shame it was killed though: despite HTML5 being the new and preferred way to go, there are still many legacy sites out there using Flash, and lack of a plugin will make them all but unusable. Having been in web applications development in the past, I can easily say that many site owners had no idea what they were getting into, wanting a "flashy" (no pun intended) site that unknown to them, would leave them trapped. To edit a Flash site, you need to edit the original work files and republish the finished Flash file; it is not like editing a line of text in a standard HTML-based site. A lot of these owners are trapped, IOW, and changing over from Flash will take quite awhile and also be expensive for the site owner, as the ones built solely around Flash would need to be completely rebuilt from the ground up. (This is why I always discouraged clients from using Flash...)

isn't that the biggest reason on the move to html5... it makes it easier to edit?

I'm going to say I've honestly never looked at html5 much, and I've done some flash coding, though very limited amounts.

hopefully this will be a smooth transition

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Question--how could I tell which version I have installed? As you know, there is no "app" per se, but all I find is the icon in my app drawer to change settings. I'm certain mine is up to date. I could just grab a backup of this right from my phone, I suppose.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
isn't that the biggest reason on the move to html5... it makes it easier to edit?

Worlds easier. That, and no additional plugin is needed to view content.

If someone has a Flash animation or even just a menu system, it's like having to re-edit an entire movie in order to change a single element. The last time I even touched a Flash project, I had to subcontract it out...I had tried it on my own but poked at it awhile and got frustrated. Worse, since the original developer was nowhere to be found, we could find no matching font for the changed menus, and had to re-assign all the font settings so they all appeared the same! This was for a landscaping company, and the owner was just looking to update his staff listing. In HTML, it would have taken me only a couple of minutes!

Yeah, I'm glad Flash is disappearing from a developer standpoint (and I'm glad I'm out of the old "nuts and bolts" type of development...the "offshoring" killed a lot of our business), but there is still so much out there in Flash that it will probably take a few more years before the bulk of it is purged from the Internet.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If you have it on your account will you be able to re-install it even though its not searchable? I ask because when I was on Verizon, I had FoxFi on my DroidX and now that I'm on AT&T with my S3, I found out FoxFi is blocked by AT&T and you can't get it, but since I had it already on my account, I was able to view my past installed apps and even though its blocked on AT&T, I was able to install it without issue. My Dad however had to wait for me to get the APK from my phone and side load it to his Note. His Note is how I found out its blocked on AT&T.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
HTLM5 is supposed to work so much better From what I understand

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thats what I heard and read,but as someone already said,it's gonna take HTLM5 yrs to catch up.Google and Adobe could've come up with something to get us over the hump.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
damn i remember when everybody couldn't hardly wait for it to come to android lol now its dead wow didn't last very long.