1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

ALERT!! Adobe Flash Zero Day Vulnerability

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Martin030908, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

[​IMG]

As Martin030908 reported earlier, there is currently a vulnerability in Adobe Flash that is present on all platforms. Windows seems to be taking the hits right now but it is possible that Android could be a target down the road. For now we suggest disabling flash until a fix is available.

Adobe has the following to say about a fix.

Original post below --

Apparently there is a vulnerability within Adobe Flash that affects Android among other OS's.

Adobe - Security Advisories: APSA10-03 - Security Advisory for Flash Player

Droid 2 Forum - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Adobe Flash Player zero-day under attack | ZDNet

Adobe Flash Zero Day Puts Android Smartphones at Risk - Yahoo! News

(Edited and Updated by JohnDroid and AranScott)
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Was in beta forever and then they release it with a HUGE vulnerability. Way to go Adobe.

An Adobe spokesperson contacted me and shared that, "A critical vulnerability exists in Adobe Flash Player 10.1.82.76 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Solaris and Android operating systems.

In a nutshell, the critical flaw could be exploited to crash the affected system, or may even allow an attacker to gain access and control it to execute additional malicious software. There are reports that this vulnerability is being actively exploited in the wild against Adobe Flash Player,
  3. Ej4

Ej4 New Member

Steve Jobs is giggling
  4. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Oh noooooooooooo!

Oh, wait a minute. Since it is on demand on my browser, I say - meh.
  5. Martin030908

Now the question... uninstall Adobe Flash Player until a fix is issued or keep it?
  6. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Well that version that C/K mentions is not the Market Version so if they have moved past it then great, that is what new versions are for, to work out bugs.
  7. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Market Version Number is 10.1.92.10
  8. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

So the bug's only in 10.1.82.76 and earlier?

10.1.92.8 is the latest version on Adobe's site, and 10.1.92.10 is what's currently in the Market, so hopefully we're already in the clear.
  9. Martin030908

Good details.

Either means the issue is with the later versions or they just happened to find it in the newer ones.... we'll have to wait and see what Adobe issues to fix this.
  10. kennydied23

kennydied23 Member

If you click on the first link in the OP it says:

"Adobe Flash Player 10.1.82.76 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Solaris, and Adobe Flash Player 10.1.92.10 for Android"
  11. Martin030908

What I thought, which leads me to believe they only 'found' this in the newer versions, but it's existed all along.
  12. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

Good catch. The version on my Droid is 10.1.92.10. It is 10.1.82.76 on my PC. According to Adobe, that is the latest PC version.
  13. srroos

srroos New Member

Those are indeed the latest versions, along with Adobe Reader 9.3.4.

I have uninstalled Flash for now, but my roommate with a non-rooted EVO can't uninstall it since it is a system application. Not cool.
  14. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

actually i dont see the latest version of FLASH listed as vulnerable so idk
  15. EvilDobe

EvilDobe New Member

No way.. an Adobe product with a vulnerability?? I would be shocked if they ever released a product without one. I'm leaving Flash on my phone because if we wait until Adobe releases a secure product we'll never get Flash on our phones. If you're concerned with Adobe and vulnerabilities you may as well remove it from your computers too.
  16. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

I finally read the release by Adobe. This includes all versions of Flash for PC, Mac and Android phones. It not only in for 10.1.82.76 on the PC and Mac, but also 10.1.92.10 for Android. That is the latest market version. Not only Flash, but also all versions of Adobe Reader are affected. Now who doesn't have Flash and Reader on their PC or Mac. So are we supposed to uninstall all Flash and Reader programs, apps, plug-ins from all of our devices? I have tons of pdf files on my PC and a bunch on my Droid too. I uninstalled Flash on my Droid, as it only takes a minute to reinstall it later, but I don't really want to uninstall everything from my 3 family notebooks.
  17. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

From Adobe (first link listed by the OP):

"A critical vulnerability exists in Adobe Flash Player 10.1.82.76 and earlier versions for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Solaris, and Adobe Flash Player 10.1.92.10 for Android. This vulnerability also affects Adobe Reader 9.3.4 for Windows, Macintosh and UNIX, and Adobe Acrobat 9.3.4 and earlier versions for Windows and Macintosh."
  18. KevinJ

KevinJ Member

Last time there was a reported vulnerability in Acrobat/Reader it had to do with javascript, and all you had to do was go into preferences and disable it.

Since I don't know what's wrong with it this time, there might not be a workaround.

My phone's safe, because I never installed Flash on it. Didn't miss it before, didn't see a reason to have it now. :D
  19. EvilDobe

EvilDobe New Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure you have other mitigating factors to help lower your risk in place (firewall/antivirus/router) on your home PC. Adobe will fix this release & the next will be just as bad if not worse.
  20. Joker

Joker New Member

Just got a txt from VZW stating that I was sent the android 2.2 update including Adobe Flash 10.1. As I never actually downloaded it from the marketplace, does this mean I already have it install? I was under the impression that 2.2 just gave the capability to have it if I wanted it.

If it means I have it installed, is there a place I could go to uninstall it?

Thanks