to install custom roms, or not to install...

debrad0307

Reaction score
that is the question.. i have been reading some of the issues people are having with their phones after installing custom roms. should i, or shouldn't i? what exactly does the custom rom do for you? if it is just a matter of changing the appearance of your phone then i will stick with ADW launcher. also, i would like to know if anyone knows how to change the color of the status bar (droid x) without having to install a custom rom. is there some kind of free program? thanks for the insight. :D

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Try what I did, go on youtube and watch some vid reviews of the roms. Search for Xdroidrom as he does a great job of reviewing! His vid sold me hook line and sinker on Liberty!

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
that is some good advice. any luck on the status bar? still searching for an app to do that..

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Need root for that! A cool thing about Liberty is you can change up the themes right in the rom. Sooo cool! Yea, fan boy here.

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
i'm rooted. just not ready for the custom roms yet. i saw that vid on liberty, it looks really awesome. again, i just don't wanna mess up my phone horribly or anything.

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
ok ok ok i've talked myself into installing a custom rom... question is... do i HAVE to get bootstrap for the droid x?

Psyman

Reaction score
Bootstrap is well recommended and worth it. You could use a rom manager but the ops usually specificy bootstrap and I would follow the installation instructions to the letter as some differ

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

musicman

Reaction score
Before you do anything get bootstrap and make a nandtoid backup.

Reaction score
just be sure you are ready for what you are doing. do your homework first. people have problems with custom roms because they don't know what they are getting into. you are basically having the phone do what it was not designed to do originally (especially when you get into overclocking and what not). a custom rom is beyond simple asthetic changes. system files and apps get removed and tweaked.

i would never discourage someone from modding their phone to their liking. but don't do it just because everyone else does it, do it because you feel the rewards (faster performance, better battery life, for example) outweigh the risks (bootloops, bricking) and you feel confident enough in your abilities to make these changes and handle problems that arise as a result. and while you are reading up on installing roms, be sure to spend some time on how to sbf, just in case.

and as far as a rom to use, that is really personal preference, you may as well ask "what food tastes the best". everyone has their favorites. i would recommend what the first responder has already said. check out reviews, read up on their features, and make an informed decision. best of luck to you.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Xdroidrom also has vids on bootstrapper and installing roms. He may owe me a beer for all of this press!

HayWire

Reaction score
Some roms get rid of the pre-installed bloatware that verizon decided to bless us with on our beloved x. I use liberty, with the battery tweak.. it is awesome. I agree though, you should read up some more on roms and decide if its right for you. Best part is, you can always go back to stock if you dont like it... And, bootstrap is well worth it, trust me.

Isak73

Reaction score
Some roms get rid of the pre-installed bloatware that verizon decided to bless us with on our beloved x. I use liberty, with the battery tweak.. it is awesome. I agree though, you should read up some more on roms and decide if its right for you. Best part is, you can always go back to stock if you dont like it... And, bootstrap is well worth it, trust me.

I use liberty 1.5 and have installed certain patches and zips that affect systcl. . .im happy with those but what battery tweak are you talking about?

LIBERATED DROID X OC'D 1.25GHZ

HayWire

Reaction score
There was a thread a few days back, its in testing as of now but it works great for me. When I get back to my PC ill look for the link.

OP
debrad0307

debrad0307

Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the feed back guys. I have installed a couple of more programs to make my phone MY phone. I love the way it looks and performs. Maybe in the future I will install a rom but I'm gonna take you advise and do my homework. I don't wanna jump into anything just yet. All of the programs I got are free as well. I don't see the point in paying for one. I pay enough to just use my phone... I don't want to end up like most of the people on here desperately seeking help because they messed up their phone. As soon as I get a little more Droid savvy I will take that step.