To Gingerbread Or Not To Gingerbread?

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I have been hearing all sorts of horror stories about upgrading to GB and it has me scared to upgrade. My nephew, an IT pro, has the DX and has upgraded to GB and says that all the problems are with other phones, not the DX.

I got rid of Lookout (it was slowing things down) and installed MobiUcare. To get all of the features of MobiUcare, I need to upgrade to GB.

I have been backing up my apps (App Backup and Restore). I will need to backup my SMS and MMS messages. I don't know what else to backup?

I need to figure out how to upgrade to GB and if it's a good idea. I am using an unrooted DX. I am not a Droid expert by any means!

Any help would be appreciated!

Greg

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I love gingerbread on my droid pro. Its an upgrade from froyo in every aspect on my phone.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I am seeing in several posts that you need to do a factory reset after upgrading to GB. Failing to do the factory reset will cause your DX to be buggy, and doing the factory reset will lose everything on the phone! Is this BullS**t going to be required for every sw upgrade??

chiruscan

Reaction score
Personally, I woudlnt do it. Just look at all the problems people are having with it.

xan

Reaction score
I miss the multi clipboard, straight to voicemail, birthdays and hate the bright lights.
Love the speed, stability, and programmable dock.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
You should install CM7.
Its technically GB, but based on a hijacked version of the Froyo kernal.

And its also probably the fastest ROM, giving you quadrant scores over 2600 stock.
(3300 plus for me @1.4 gHZ.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
How do I do that, and what are the risks? Do I need to be rooted to do it, as I am not rooted. I am pretty much a droid technology newbie.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
GB is hands down waaaay better than froyo. Just do it. Each phone is different and no matter what you hear, your experience will be the most valuable. Try it for yourself and if you hate it (doubtful), just sbf back. Personally, i have few if any bugs. I love gb. Love it. I needed to try it on my individual, unique, phone

Droid 2 APEX -The fastest ROM out there.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I'm concerned with losing stuff, and losing abilities.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
How do I upgrade to GB, and how do I roll it back if it's not going to work? Do I in fact have to factory reset afterwards?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
There are tons of threads on gb for dx. Google search dx gb something for everyone. Dl the 2 part install files. Read, read read

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can always sbf back. If you're unsure of this stuff, either learn how to sbf and use clockwork recovery or just stay where you're at! Better to stick with what you know than freak out

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Two of my nephews are both running GB on their DX's without a glitch. With the urging of them both, I bit the bullet and installed GB.

When I first turned it on, I noticed some of my icons were missing. The icons that were there were just folders with gears. They still launched the programs, but the icons were missing. I dragged the icons to the trash and re-placed the icons on the page and they were fine after that.

The program that I secifically wanted to run, MobiUcare, runs the same with GB as it did in Froyo. The locating function is iffy and the camera function is a no go. MobiUcare doesn't respond to help requests.

So far so good with GB. Will post issues as they arise.

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
Oddly enough, my battery seems to run down quicker with GB and occasionally I'll get restarts. Otherwise, GB seems great.