Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

atlrus

Reaction score
Slinky, what you are describing sounds pretty typical for a smartphone running at this clock speed with this size battery. I've had several D1's, a Fascinate, an X and now the Thunderbolt. I also carry a Blackberry that I use heavily, that gets stellar battery life. So, for me at least, I knew what I was getting coming in, and view the battery shortcoming as part of the price of admission.
Just my 2c

Sent from my Thunderbolt

+1

I would go to Verizon and ask for a new battery, since the manufacturing process of any product will turn out duds, but with a phone of this size and a 1400 mAh battery - it's just unrealistic to expect great battery life. If you need a phone for important business - I would look into a Blackberry or a feature-phone.

I personally come from the HTC Inc, so I am used to pluging in the phone during downtime. I have car chargers, charger in the kitchen, in the bedroom, travel charger - you name it :) My wife currently has the Samsung Continuum (1500 mAh battery) and she can't get a full day of mostly talk and text alone.

P.S. I had an old Nokia e71 and its 1500 mAh battery made the phone last for more than a week before I needed to recharge :)

F

FlyFishinX2

so I did a few of the minor adjustments and the bump charge decribed in the first post of this thread , the charge was completed at 1:30 a.m. last night and at 8:18 a.m my battery level is 85 percent

F

FlyFishinX2

one thing I don't understand about the bump charge is why does the phone still charge for an hour once you turn it off when it had already been charged till the light was green with the phone one ? Will we get a better charge with it off?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score

Dxun

Reaction score
Are you guys using external software to view battery life in 1% increments? I stumbled on it yesterday but the only thing I see is bars that are in 10%.

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score
one thing I don't understand about the bump charge is why does the phone still charge for an hour once you turn it off when it had already been charged till the light was green with the phone one ? Will we get a better charge with it off?
I'm not sure, it does it with mine as well. It will say fully charged, but I reboot it and then it charges for a while longer. My D1 has the same issue, I charge it, turn it off then the next morning I turn it on and it's at 40-60%.

funkyb

Reaction score
I'm at 2 hours 10 min since unplugged. I'm at 50% with 30 minutes of display use, no phone calls and five texts. Also only 3 minutes of a game. I just cut all ny sync in half and am gonna suffer through not instant stuff, axed friend stream and only have 1 widget. Verizon is getting a visit from me tomorrow.

Update. 3.5 hours of use, 1 hour 10 minutes of display use. I was using it moderately on here, some other forums and games. I recently installed that juice program too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Have you disabled haptic feedback? What screen brightness are you running on? How about data updates/sync, have you manually set the timings?

I have been using my TB heavily evey day (video, sms, internet, gaming, talking, etc..) and while the battery isn't huge, it hasn't been a problem for me either. Mobile Data off & WiFi is great, but even with Wifi off while using LTE away from the house, I get through the day just fine.

katatonic

Reaction score
Well. In the beginning I was getting terrible battery life. Id unplug at 530am and my phone would be on it last leg by noon with minimal use. I live in 4G area. Since then I cut my WiFi off, cut my gps off, dimmed my screen and downloaded phone info so I could cut my 4G off while I don't need it. I unplugged this morning at 530am and its now 1145 and my battery is at 94%

sent from my thunderbolt.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well. In the beginning I was getting terrible battery life. Id unplug at 530am and my phone would be on it last leg by noon with minimal use. I live in 4G area. Since then I cut my WiFi off, cut my gps off, dimmed my screen and downloaded phone info so I could cut my 4G off while I don't need it. I unplugged this morning at 530am and its now 1145 and my battery is at 94%

sent from my thunderbolt.

LTE will be treated like wifi, it sounds like, until battery issues improve or LTE expands... turn it on only when you really need it...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
WiFi uses less battery than 3G...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

all things equal, true... but it depends on your wifi and on your 3G coverage where you're located... albeit, most people have solid 3G coverage from VZW

meepstone

Reaction score
With light use, my battery was at 60% and was on for 9 1/2 hours before I went to sleep last night. I had only been texting and browsed internet a little. 53% of it was from the display. They do need to find a way to reduce the battery draw from the screen.

Snow02

Reaction score
You'd make millions if you could figure out a patentable way to do that.