Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

scaner

Reaction score
Did a bump charge 40 min ago at 9 pm..now its 9-49.and now its just put down next to me and its 92%...without do nothing......

OP
guitarchris123
Reaction score
So I used WiFi last night for about an hour before bed then shut it off so I wouldn't forget to when I went to work this morning. About halfway thru my shift today I checked spare parts to see how my apps were acting and it said WiFi was running since I unplugged it. (100%) I double checked to make sure my phone said it was off and it did so I toggled WiFi again then checked spare parts and WiFi on started decreasing. I'm not sure what made it stick on but it did so I suggest for you guys with battery problems make sure your WiFi isn't sticking by downloading spare parts and checking it out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

See 1(f):
[FONT=&quot]WiFi – turn off when not near a WiFi signal for an extended period of time, but always use when available (faster than 3G, uses less battery), go to settings/wireless & networks/WiFi settings, press menu button and tap Advanced then WiFi Sleep policy and select[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Never[/FONT][FONT=&quot]”[/FONT][FONT=&quot], this sounds counter-intuitive, but it actually uses less power because when WiFi sleeps 3G or 4G wakes up to sync, get email, and retrieve other data (WiFi connection disables 3G/4G)[/FONT]

Do you have "never" selected or not? I have it set this way, and my WiFi still turns off when I use the toggle. Maybe your particular toggle is not working properly. Try placing 2 different WiFi toggles on a screen at the same time to see if one works and the other doesn't.

Supposedly WiFi uses less battery than 3G, but only if you have a good signal. If you have a bad (or no) WiFi signal, go ahead and toggle it off to switch to 3G.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of these days, manufacturers will realize there is a benefit to actually building strong battery life into our wireless phones...

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
i got 8 plus hours on my TB today.. played a bunch of Ninja Rush... Some browsing.. some phones calls.. on 4g All day...

im coming from an INC.. I can easily get 8hrs off a single charge.. while being on 4g all day... depends on how much you use it.. cycle the battery a few times.. it will improve.... i do play with the brightness too.. i dont have it at full brightness ever.. that too bright anyway... if its dark.. i turn off brightness.. or have it at about 20%..

i do not have any pop email, no facebook, no twitter.. just gmail, calls, txt, games, browsing..

Reaction score
I owned a Droid X and now have a Thunderbolt. I made the display settings the same and have all of the same accounts syncing on my TBolt that I did the DX. I am not in a 4G LTE city, so they are both connected to 3G. I get just as much battery life out of my TBolt as I did my DX on the standard battery.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say, based on pretty much every post on every thread I've seen the past few days anyway, that 4G/LTE is one heckuva battery sucker... and this clearly was not common knowledge prior to it being released - among Verizon "rumors" anyway.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I'm at 2 hours 10 min since unplugged. I'm at 50% with 30 minutes of display use, no phone calls and five texts. Also only 3 minutes of a game. I just cut all ny sync in half and am gonna suffer through not instant stuff, axed friend stream and only have 1 widget. Verizon is getting a visit from me tomorrow.

Update. 3.5 hours of use, 1 hour 10 minutes of display use. I was using it moderately on here, some other forums and games. I recently installed that juice program too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Purgatoiry

Reaction score
Still having issues it seems. I was at 90% battery, used it for about 20 minutes, now i'm at 95%. Probably gonna go back to verizon tomorrow and replace it.

slinky

Reaction score
i got 8 plus hours on my TB today.. played a bunch of Ninja Rush... Some browsing.. some phones calls.. on 4g All day...

im coming from an INC.. I can easily get 8hrs off a single charge.. while being on 4g all day... depends on how much you use it.. cycle the battery a few times.. it will improve.... i do play with the brightness too.. i dont have it at full brightness ever.. that too bright anyway... if its dark.. i turn off brightness.. or have it at about 20%..

i do not have any pop email, no facebook, no twitter.. just gmail, calls, txt, games, browsing..
This is what worries me - 8 hours is very poor. That's not even 1 typical business day and doesn't cover the morning/evening commute. Email other than Gmail is a typical business necessity. The Incredible had dreadful battery life. With the update and conditioning one could expect almost the same with 3G - barely getting through the day and worrying about the phone going dead in the mid afternoon.

lockman

Reaction score
Slinky, what you are describing sounds pretty typical for a smartphone running at this clock speed with this size battery. I've had several D1's, a Fascinate, an X and now the Thunderbolt. I also carry a Blackberry that I use heavily, that gets stellar battery life. So, for me at least, I knew what I was getting coming in, and view the battery shortcoming as part of the price of admission.
Just my 2c

Sent from my Thunderbolt

geoff5093

Reaction score
Still having issues it seems. I was at 90% battery, used it for about 20 minutes, now i'm at 95%. Probably gonna go back to verizon tomorrow and replace it.
Yours goes up in percentage as you use it eh? I want your phone :p

Yesterday I had 15 hours on my phone before I went to bed, unplugged at 8AM and went to bed around 11PM and still had 40% battery life left. I don't know why everyone else is having poor battery life, I use this just like my D1 but that got half the battery life.

It's awesome to have a phone that only needs to be charged at night :D