Tips to Help Improve Battery Life on ThunderBolt

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Today is going better. I've been unplugged since 10am and I'm at 84% although I have only had about 4 minutes of display on time. It lost 10% at random driving in a solid 4G area. I'm going to charge it again before my next classes and hopefully I have more good news. I did bump charge last night so who knows.....

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I wish there was a widget to pull up the brightness slider found in settings, that way it could be more customizable. Or a possible widget to set specific settings and each setting is set using the brightness slider.

It's getting there... HTC TBolt has a widget with three brightness settings, though you can't change the pre-sets.

okiepat2000

Reaction score
Decided to try out the HUGE extended battery today. The phone has been off it's charger for 5.5 hours and it is at 66% That means that my phone will last approximately 16.5 hours before needing a charge (and on Mondays, my phone is most active and uses the most battery). I just wish it didn't make the phone so honkin' thick. I think I am going to go back to a rotation of two standard batteries with a wall charger for the battery that is not in use.
Are you using the big 2700 HTC battery?
If so, how much thicker does it make the phone?
I've got the DX with the extended battery and the extra size doesn't bother me at all. Just mentioning that as a point of reference.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Right now I have 4164 at 100% I drove to school, then wAlked to class which was about 30 minutes. I'm still at 100% after checking my Facebook. I'm going to play around.d between classes and see if there is an actual improvement. I wonder if it was from disabling friendstream?

Sent from my Thunderbolt using DroidForums App

slinky

Reaction score
OK - I may have discovered one potential source of the drain. Apparently when doing whatever they do in the back room at the VZW store they logged me into GoogleTalk and the settings by default autologin at startup. I don't really use GTalk so I missed this. It may have happened when they required me to activate the phone in the store before talking and it ended up taking them almost 2 hours -- apologies, problems with launch, etc. (imagine if this was with Apple)

Battery still is very poor and they will replace it. VZW reps said that they have recommended that all purchasers here (major metropolitan area) buy the extended battery. Wonderful solution - why do I think the tiny battery was intentional? Regardless, she agrees that my battery may be faulty but they have none in any local store so I'm going to have to wait two more days and keep close to a charger.

Thanks for the assistance guys. Regarding the 2700 battery... imagine the Incredible extended battery without a contoured back, just a bump. It's an accident waiting to happen if you put on its back, very poor design. Of course, there are also no cases offered for the battery either.

Reaction score
Decided to try out the HUGE extended battery today. The phone has been off it's charger for 5.5 hours and it is at 66% That means that my phone will last approximately 16.5 hours before needing a charge (and on Mondays, my phone is most active and uses the most battery). I just wish it didn't make the phone so honkin' thick. I think I am going to go back to a rotation of two standard batteries with a wall charger for the battery that is not in use.
Are you using the big 2700 HTC battery?
If so, how much thicker does it make the phone?
I've got the DX with the extended battery and the extra size doesn't bother me at all. Just mentioning that as a point of reference.

Take the standard battery out and put the cover on with no battery. Take the standard battery and tape it to the back of the cover, that is exactly what the thickness is of the phone with the 2750mAh battery.

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I know I've sort of turned this into my personal "battery journal" but I'm hoping that by doing this it will help someone else out there so....

I've been unplugged for 2 hours 38 minutes. My percent is down to 83%.
Display accounts for 61% of use with 29 minutes of use
Standby accounts for 9% of use and 2 hours 27 minutes
Phone idle accounts for 7% with 2 hours and 9 minutes of us
Android system accounts for 7% and 3 minutes of use
Then my games, DroidForums browsing, internet and Android OS make up between 5 and 2%, respectively.

The battery is improving, slowly but surely. This could be a good sign for many of us.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'm 1 hour 34 minutes into a run with 81% battery life left.
Display accounts for 64% of use with 34 mins.
Voice accounts for 22% of use with 6 mins 57 secs.
Standby accounts for 9% of use with 1 hour 34 mins.
Android System accounts for 3% of use with 2 mins 43 secs.
com.android.mms, WiFi, Android OS, and Phone Idle take 2% each.

If I continue this, I usually get about 10-11 hours before 20%.

Reaction score
2750mAh battery

11h 46m since unplugged.

Display 69%
Mail 7%
Calendar 7%
Android System 5%
Angry Birds 4% :D
Voice Calls 3%
Cell standby 3%
Phone Idle 2%

Approximately 20% battery left.

Originaldobo

Reaction score
Got 12hrs with moderate use and juice defender and all my sync active

Sent from my thunderbolt

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does that weird EVO calibration thing work with fast boot or does it have to be completely off. Also I don't think rooted users can do it as CWM always boots whenever I plug in the charger while the phones off.

Edit: I think I'm going to return the extended one and just buy a standard spare. I tried to live with how big the extended one but it's just too uncomfortable to hold.

tu3218

Reaction score
Does that weird EVO calibration thing work with fast boot or does it have to be completely off. Also I don't think rooted users can do it as CWM always boots whenever I plug in the charger while the phones off.

Edit: I think I'm going to return the extended one and just buy a standard spare. I tried to live with how big the extended one but it's just too uncomfortable to hold.

Where do you buy a regular spare battery? I looked online but all I see is batteries for like $40 and I think thats a little too much for a regular 1400mah battery.

Reaction score
Ok here's a couple tips:

-Juice Defender: have data turn off when screen is off, use the configure apps setting to block your four biggest Bloatware data hog apps from using data

Settings: dim screen down to 30% or lower, set screen off at 30s, turn location off when not using maps

Accounts and Sync: turn your background data off(provided you don't plan on using the android market), set all your data apps and widgets to update once ever hour or more, depends on the person

-bump battery like talked about before

-stay on WiFi as much as possible

-FOR THE EXTREMISTS: bring up dial pad and type in *#*#4636#*#*, go to phone info, and scroll down to toggel your 4g radio, you can change it to cdma or evdo or anything

Hope this helped

Departed from the Stratosphere

want a droid

Reaction score
I'm at 70% after 5h 14m, with 1h 15m of display on. This entire time is with WiFi enabled. With the same numbers on the 4G network I would be under 40%

:/