Thoughts on the S10 Series

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wanted to open up this thread for people to post their thoughts on the S10 phones.

I have had mine for a couple of days and love it so far.

-The first things that stick out to me are the screen and speakers. The sound and picture are amazing. Definitely going to be great for Netflix.
-The form factor is nice. I am coming from the Note 8, and the S10 is lighter and smaller with a bigger screen. My case of choice these days is the Urban Armor Gear (plasma) which I used for my Note 8. They did a phenomenal job on the S10 case.
-Battery is a beast. Will see how that goes as time with the phone progresses.
-Dex is awesome. I used it off and on with the Note 8, but I didn't like taking my case off to dock it. I got the Dex cable for the S10, and it is excellent. I have full functionality of the phone while using Dex. Doesn't seem to phase the phone a bit. don't have to take the case off either haha.
-Software is awesome. I love this new OneUI. The customization rocks. There are SO MANY things you can do. I am still trying to figure everything out.
-The ability to remap the Bixby key is awesome. Speaking of which, I have started to use Bixby to perform certain tasks. We will see how that goes. It has some pretty cool capabilities.
-Finger print scanner is pretty sweet.
-I feel like this phone is a Note, just without the stylus. I do miss my stylus every once in a while, but the tradeoffs are well worth it.
-Dark mode! I love it! They even have a very well done dark mode for the stock browser which I have never seen before. I have never used a stock browser before, but I have recently switched to it for the dark theme. So far so good. I hope that Google starts allowing us to use a dark theme on the Play Store and other apps (come on Gmail) soon. I would like to darkify everything lol.
-The 550 credit for tradein really made this phone a good deal.

-Some negatives. To be blunt they are pretty nitpicky, and I am over most of them, but I thought I would mention them:
-Power button is a little high. Just something I am not used to yet.
-Soft keys sit a little lower in relation to my hand than on the Note 8 due to the lack of bezels.
-Of course there is the camera punch out on the screen. To be honest it kind of bothered me at first but I don't really notice it any more.
-I have had some issues with Spotify interactions on the lock screen and in my car using bluetooth (trouble getting the song skip functions to work). I am hoping that gets ironed out, or perhaps it is just user error. This is probably the only real gripe I have at this point. I feel like Spotify integration will get a lot better, as they have teamed up with Samsung. (Solved: Spotify pushed an update which resolved the issue)

I feel like Samsung has done well building on the 8 and 9 series platforms. To be honest, the S10 is not hugely revolutionary, and it doesn't really need to be. The 8 and 9 are really awesome phones, and I feel Samsung took those and did some nice tweaks and improvements.

In any event, I will probably have more as time goes on. I would love to hear others thoughts on these devices.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Awesome idea ..let's all get some thoughts here ...it's early for me ...so just feeling my way around again with Samsung...trade in made it a slam dunk for me...$550 off plus tax on only partial price and free buds make it a great pick up ...and also 5% reward to my BestBuy account ...

I agree power button is too high...fingerprints are a little off and on right now for me ..I'm looking for that update supposed to help with them ...UI is definitely better than any previous ...I'm also hoping for future update on notifications with light around camera be nice to have it ... screen awesome as always with Samsung ...I'm using gestures instead of navigation buttons I do like them so far good and more real estate..
Nova launcher beta running smoothly ...dark mode a must and thank you Samsung...

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got an update overnight which really helped with the fingerprints. I'm using mine now and it opens very smoothly.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I just got an update overnight which really helped with the fingerprints. I'm using mine now and it opens very smoothly.

Awesome... that's what I'm waiting on... the first update was just Feb security update ...

What's your build .?

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome... that's what I'm waiting on... the first update was just Feb security update ...

What's your build .?

S10+ Tapatalk
I'm on the unlocked...
ca3287932db68842b1f31ab2bdc80144.jpg

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've heard stories about the unlocked phones being stuck behind the carrier phones for updates, which is the opposite of the impression I had when I had a carrier phone lol. Hopefully we get decent updates.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've heard stories about the unlocked phones being stuck behind the carrier phones for updates, which is the opposite of the impression I had when I had a carrier phone lol. Hopefully we get decent updates.

Yeah that's the majority of the people I've seen posting ...worst case scenario ive seen talk of flashing carrier firmware on the unlocked which I would do with Tmobile if I see delays...it did update my carrier setting on startup and i have Wifi calling and VoLTE working perfectly...

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the majority of the people I've seen posting ...worst case scenario ive seen talk of flashing carrier firmware on the unlocked which I would do with Tmobile if I see delays...it did update my carrier setting on startup and i have Wifi calling and VoLTE working perfectly...

S10+ Tapatalk
Looks like we are on the same track as I have TMobile too. Have you noticed any signal loss? That was the only thing I was worried about, is the reason not being optimized for the network. So far it seems ok.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Looks like we are on the same track as I have TMobile too. Have you noticed any signal loss? That was the only thing I was worried about, is the reason not being optimized for the network. So far it seems ok.

I'm good so far no drops or different signals at my usual stops by my house and around Staten Island... ran GPS to a few places to test ...weekday will be a good test when back to work...btw this battery is a beast ..

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm good so far no drops or different signals at my usual stops by my house and around Staten Island... ran GPS to a few places to test ...weekday will be a good test when back to work...btw this battery is a beast ..

S10+ Tapatalk
Good to hear, thanks.

Still exploring the phone here. So many different.... things lol. Anyone know how to make notifications visible without the always on display? I used to be able to see text messages on my screen as they came in on my note 8. I do miss the notification light as well.

Wallpapers are fun lol...

e6bff1bcfada3d570e02c4b86e23e60c.jpg
c1d9f20f01771f46065b736f8099faf7.jpg

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha those are good!

The setting I used on the note 8 was an edge lighting setting that would light up the edge and show me a preview of the message as it would come through on the screen while the phone was locked. I use a 3rd party SMS app (pulse SMS), and it won't work on that app on this phone for some reason (at least that is my theory anyways).

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Haha those are good!

The setting I used on the note 8 was an edge lighting setting that would light up the edge and show me a preview of the message as it would come through on the screen while the phone was locked. I use a 3rd party SMS app (pulse SMS), and it won't work on that app on this phone for some reason (at least that is my theory anyways).

Ah gotcha...I will keep my eyes open for ya ..I don't use edge lighting but maybe mess with it ...

S10+ Tapatalk