Note10+ vs S10+ (or whatever is current)

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I haven't posted in a while but I'm currently thinking of adding a new Samsung Galaxy phone while keeping my current Note 8. I love my phone but the time has come to either add or upgrade. I rarely use the stylus anymore (the newness has worn off). If anyone has experience with the two models I'd love some opinions on which is loved more and why. The only "S" series I have ever owned was the S7 which I had to take when they took back my Note 7. Thanks for helping me decide. (whichever I get it will be the larger one for that series).

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Surprised that there were no opinions on S10+ vs Note 10+. I finally went to the Verizon store to look both over and liked both although I guess I like a big phone (maybe my old eyes) because I liked the look of the Note10+ a bit better. Just really torn if the Note is $100 better.

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Surprised that there were no opinions on S10+ vs Note 10+. I finally wnet to the Verizon store to look both over and liked both although I guess I like a big phone (maybe my old eyes) because I liked the look of the Note10+ a bit better. Just really torn if the Note is $100 better.

I missed this original post ...I’ve had both for short time and I like the Note 10 + better with the squared off style and pen...I think it’s a solid device and I’m sure you can find some good deals around to save on it ..especially with the S20 around the corner ....

11 Max Pro

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Thanks for the reply. Missing posts is easy to do. Verizon is having a $200 off sale at the moment and rekindled my interest. I have a second line with them that using their connect to your old land line device with no data. I think I will get one of these phones and put my Note 8 on that other line. The lousy $130 they are willing to give me for the note 8 seems to me not worth giving it to them.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Thanks for the reply. Missing posts is easy to do. Verizon is having a $200 off sale at the moment and rekindled my interest. I have a second line with them that using their connect to your old land line device with no data. I think I will get one of these phones and put my Note 8 on that other line. The lousy $130 they are willing to give me for the note 8 seems to me not worth giving it to them.
That's not a bad idea... Samsung has the unlocked &200 off as well... I like going through them not to pay Verizon activation fee... You can finance same way 24 months.. just a thought ..

Note10+

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Just an FYI. The Verizon partner store I was at gave an idea for the best way to actually get the $200 off when paying cash instead of financing (most Verizon deals actually refund the discount over 24 months to keep you committed). He suggested paying the cash price-$200 and financing only the "discount". You get the phone for the discounted price and for the next 24 months get the remainder billed and deducted for $0 cost each month. I thought that was a great way to get around the problem.

As for your idea - if I went through Samsung don't I still have to pay Verizon to activate the new phone?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Just an FYI. The Verizon partner store I was at gave an idea for the best way to actually get the $200 off when paying cash instead of financing (most Verizon deals actually refund the discount over 24 months to keep you committed). He suggested paying the cash price-$200 and financing only the "discount". You get the phone for the discounted price and for the next 24 months get the remainder billed and deducted for $0 cost each month. I thought that was a great way to get around the problem.

As for your idea - if I went through Samsung don't I still have to pay Verizon to activate the new phone?
Oh good idea too ... Unlocked model from Samsung gets shipped to you no activation fee .. also I see BestBuy has Verizon model I think $250 off so that will offset the activation fee... I just hate paying that fee

Note10+

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
OK one more question that is important to me - can the USB-c port connect to extra storage like thumb drives or other drives? My Note 8 will but I have to reboot with them in the socket in order for it to work. I read somewhere where this was a bug and might be fixed in the next version of Android which this phone has.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
OK one more question that is important to me - can the USB-c port connect to extra storage like thumb drives or other drives? My Note 8 will but I have to reboot with them in the socket in order for it to work. I read somewhere where this was a bug and might be fixed in the next version of Android which this phone has.
I don't connect myself but I've seen mixed results across the forums ...

Note10+

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I don't connect myself but I've seen mixed results across the forums ...

Note10+
I broke down and bought the Note 10+. So far I am very pleased. The battery in my Note 8 began to swell while transferring the info from the Note 8 to the Note 10+. Another $100 to get that fixed. It seemed impossible to use a USB drive with the 10+ but I discovered using a USB A to USB C connector (NOT the one in the 10+ package) I was able to watch a movie on my 2Tb thumb drive using Astro. The Memory Zone the continually pops up when inserting a drive into the port is useless and even though I turned off having it pop up when inserting a drive it does so anyway. I have no idea why Samsung removed OTG from their latest devices but it definitely sucks.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I broke down and bought the Note 10+. So far I am very pleased. The battery in my Note 8 began to swell while transferring the info from the Note 8 to the Note 10+. Another $100 to get that fixed. It seemed impossible to use a USB drive with the 10+ but I discovered using a USB A to USB C connector (NOT the one in the 10+ package) I was able to watch a movie on my 2Tb thumb drive using Astro. The Memory Zone the continually pops up when inserting a drive into the port is useless and even though I turned off having it pop up when inserting a drive it does so anyway. I have no idea why Samsung removed OTG from their latest devices but it definitely sucks.

Nice welcome to the 10+ .. at least you got the workaround going ... love this Note series

Note10+