Those "Aha Moments"...

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So for at LEAST the 10th time since I've owned it, pulling out of the driveway today: *BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ* "Forget your phone?!?!"
Why yes... yes I did. :D

And I've used that "Page My Phone" feature at LEAST 50 or 60 times... Not even kidding. Well worth the $100 to me...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Anybody tried the "Find my phone" that's supposedly baked right in to Google Now or Google Services or whatever now?

I had not thought of that until just now. If I ask my watch to "Find My Phone" i just get Google Search cards from Internet searches. If I say OK Google Now "Find My Phone" then my phone wakes up and plays a sonar tone, but I have to be within reach of it hearing my voice. But...I have ADM setup on all 4 phones in my family and just went to the Start option on my watch and sure enough there is a ADM Find My Phone option. Tapped it and it spins for a second and then Ringing Your Phone and my phone started playing the ADM lost phone tone. So not totally hands free for me, but at least now I now I can use the ADM find feature from my watch and don't need any other apps.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, I did actually. After a discussion with one of my friends who just desn't get the watch thing. I explained the Find My Phone and he says "uh, you can just Google Now it on your phone... don't need a watch for that"
So we tested it.

Since the Turbo has full on Google Now without having to touch it.
So let's say your phone is lost in the house. Hopefully it didn't drop down into the couch and the microphone is now obscured. Now you have to walk around your house saying your launch phrase in the proper tone.
(I changed mine to mess with my kid)
So here I am walking around the house: OK Optimus Prime, Ok Opitmus Prime, OK Optimus Prime...
Even if your phone does hear you in that precise tone and does go off....how long is that going to take walking around your house? And then, of course, you better have the TV off, and tell your family to stfu for a minute.

Or would you rather tap 3 times on your watch?

Case Rested.

I do love that the phone comes up and says "DID YOU MISS ME?" when it finally does hear you. :D

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The ADM thing was a recent addition that was rolling out in waves. I believe you're supposed to be able to just say "Start find my phone" or something, which makes me laugh, because that's what the third-party option that most of us downloaded is called, so I'm wondering which one will start, but I keep forgetting to try it.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I had not thought of that until just now. If I ask my watch to "Find My Phone" i just get Google Search cards from Internet searches. If I say OK Google Now "Find My Phone" then my phone wakes up and plays a sonar tone, but I have to be within reach of it hearing my voice.

I didn't set my phone on ADM after my last wipe. So mine doesn't work that way.
I never really saw the point when I can just go to ADM online and find and/or wipe my phone. Plus I have Office 365 for Business that will let me wipe and/or lock it, as well.
You've piqued my interest though, but I DO really like the app I have. It does work when I speak: Ok Google, START Find My Phone"

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The ADM thing was a recent addition that was rolling out in waves. I believe you're supposed to be able to just say "Start find my phone" or something, which makes me laugh, because that's what the third-party option that most of us downloaded is called, so I'm wondering which one will start, but I keep forgetting to try it.

Didn't know I could say Start and open the Start menu. Cool. I just tried and "OK Google Start Find My Phone" just brings the Google search cards. But "OK Google Start" opens the start menu and then just a tap on FMP works. It's a little more hands free.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I didn't set my phone on ADM after my last wipe. So mine doesn't work that way. I never really saw the point when I can just go to ADM online and find and/or wipe my phone."

I think the ADM app still has to be on your phone and set as a Device Admin for you to do that from the website.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
All right, figured it out Jonny. With the built in ADM app, it does work hands free from the watch. I just said "OK Google start find my phone app" and it worked two times in a row.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think the ADM app still has to be on your phone and set as a Device Admin for you to do that from the website.

Nope.
Go here: Android Device Manager
Login with Gmail. BOOM. Finds your phone. Always has. In fact, that was available long before it was an app.

(Never really understood why you need the app).

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OF COURSE, I know you believe me Sajo, so I don't need to prove it, but if anyone else doesn't believe:

Not installed:
Screenshot_2015-03-26-12-22-04.png

and yet, there I am....
IMG_20150326_122257011.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Of course I believe you. I knew it could find your phone without the app. I'm just wondering why the app says that it has to Device Admin permission in order for ADM to wipe your phone? That part may not be true. On that screen, was there a Wipe Phone option next to Lock?