Galaxy Gear Fit

Discussion in 'Watches (Android Wear, Tizen/Samsung, etc)' started by mountainbikermark, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    [​IMG]
    I used the exercise/walking feature for the first time today while out walking and taking photos of potential fishing spots I can reach by kayak along a trail I usually fish from the bank of.
    Not sure why but the elevation was incorrect on both the Fit and the phone.
    On the Fit itself the tally shows the time, mileage, calories burned, average heart rate and maximum heart rate. The screen shot is of it synced to S Health.
    Yes those heart rates are about right. I walked a very quick pace but stopped often to get photos of the fishing holes.
    Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  2. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    [​IMG]
    Forgot. Here's a map view of the round trip along the river with color legend for speed walked.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,473
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    That's really cool. Aside from allowing the note 4 to talk my daily steps & check my heart rate & o2 one in a while, I don't really use s health.

Didn't know it did all of that, even if it was wrong in places. Does the phone have all of that functionality, or does the fit help?

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

4. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    The Fit helps by doing the things the phone is capable of without the phone being near me. It does the stuff independently then syncs to S Health when I open the app.
    I got a free app the other day "where's my Fit" that vibrates and flashes the screen in multi colors to help find it if lost. The Fit itself has a neat feature "find my phone" that sets off an alert tone when I tap it, even when on silent. I was looking for a Bluetooth keychain that does that when I ended up switching to AT&T, getting the Note4 and the Fit a week later. Helluva keychain price huh? Never did find the keychain either, everyone was sold out.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,473
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I've got a similar app to find my phone with my G watch. Even vibrates when it disconnects to alert me that I might be leaving it.

What an age we live in. My watch lets me know if I get too far from my phone & my phone let's me know if I get too far from my s pen.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

#41 Jonny Kansas, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  6. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,969
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Yea, I use that find my phone all the time. Bought the paid version which allows you to make the LED light, the screen go to max brightness. This alone is worth the price of the watch. If I had a dollar for every time I couldn't find my phone in the house it would have paid for my G Watch. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    The find my phone was built in to the Fit. The find my Fit one was a freebie through the Galaxy Gear Fit app. The GGF app takes you to a section on the Play Store that's just Gear Fit apps.
    And yes Jonny, it's an interesting age we live in. I would like to be able to disable (or silence) the Fit connect/disconnect tones on my phone though. When I'm at work I frequently walk in and out of the Bluetooth range and folks keep telling me I got text messages when I walk back to near my phone. It's the alert not texts I know because the watch alerts me when I get texts, syncs when I come back into range so I already know if I got any or not. As I said before the range is a LOT more than 30', closer to 30 yards if on the same level, about 100 yards when the phone is upstairs at work and I go downstairs.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,473
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    That would get old. Glad the phone doesn't make any noise when the g watch connects/disconnects.

9. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I understand why it's there but I'm the exception not the rule in my usage. I doubt it'd do it if it wasn't a Samsung watch, think it's tied into the Gear Manager app. Under applications the ability to uncheck notifications for that app is grayed out.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  10. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Many reviews of the watch state you can't get real time heart rates. Well here's how to get a real time heart rate without a bunch of hassle during the event.
    In settings, display, wake up gesture tap on then tap wake to last screen used then back up to the main screen then go to exercise. Choose one, be it walking, cycling, running or hiking. With all but walking you'll need your phone to be within Bluetooth range and your location settings to your phone on because the watch uses the phone gps to track mileage. Walking can use the pedometer to get a pretty close to accurate distance but this topic is about heart rate so I'll digress back to it and leave distance for another time.
    Since I'm using walking mostly I'll illustrate using that.
    Tap walking, tap start, wait a few seconds to get your initial heart rate or go ahead and take off if that doesn't matter to you. If you want a current heart rate as you're exercising just tilt the watch like you're looking at the time and the heart rate shows up at the top large enough to read at a glance. Below that the time you've been walking, maximum rate and average rate along with distance and calories burned.
    Once you're done if you want a better track to look at with more info do a sync with S Health and go to walking in the app to get to menus and screens with a more detailed history.
    If you don't want the wake gesture on anymore just go back to settings, display, wake gesture and turn it back off.
    Hope that helps someone who has the device or is thinking about one.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,473
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Kinda wish the g watch had a hrm. And the farther I go along with it, I'd like a speaker on it as well. Not that I think I'd have many speaker phone conversations with it, but even to have Google Now speak out answers to me on occasion.

As for the hrm, I wasn't concerned that the g watch didn't have it because my Note 4 does, but I'm starting to see the appeal to having the ability right on your wrist rather than having to hold the phone awkwardly to get a reading.

I'm definitely sold on smartwatches now though and this was a great price, so I'll know better what feature to hold out for if/when I have the money to get something a little more fancy.

Glad you're figuring out the Fit as well! We're starting to build a nice little group of wearable users here that I'm sure will come in handy for the community as they become more common in people's everyday lives.

12. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    As I wrote initially I wanted more of an exercise tracker than a phone add on and the more I use the Fit the more I feel I made the correct choice over a full blown Android wear device. I saw a Garmin one the other day that was sweet but lacked a hrm. The display is more like eink and the battery lasts about a year between changes. The price was around $80 but the need for a separate monitor to get the most from it was the deal breaker/killed the possible buyers remorse.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

Search tags for this page

gear fit vibration for running notification