this is getting expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgault

Reaction score
This is the second phone i have bricked. It is starting to get expensive. I went and downloaded and updated to gb v.5 . It wouldnt connect to the internet so i tried to flash back to my backup and now all it shows everytime i boot up is the yellow fist and wont boot. I am so screwed. Help help help

Droid annoymous

Reaction score
This is the second phone i have bricked. It is starting to get expensive. I went and downloaded and updated to gb v.5 . It wouldnt connect to the internet so i tried to flash back to my backup and now all it shows everytime i boot up is the yellow fist and wont boot. I am so screwed. Help help help

First off you shouldn't have flashed a backup im assuming you tried to flash a froyo rom? Try to sbf back to stock froyo because your phone isn't bricked if it was it wouldn't work at all.

Swyped from the best phone in verizon's line up.

droidx8791

Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sbfing solves your bricked phones. You probably didn't install the right version. Gotta be on gingerbread leak first if not you have to use the full version of liberty gb.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

crypto

Reaction score
you either don't know what you're doing or you worked pretty hard to manage to brick your first X bad enough that you had to buy a new one

SBF your phone. It will fix everything.
Then start reading some more around the forums before you start messing with your phone more

ZombieSixShot

Reaction score
you either don't know what you're doing or you worked pretty hard to manage to brick your first X bad enough that you had to buy a new one

Then start reading some more around the forums before you start messing with your phone more
What this guy said.

bricking is prtty much a thing of the past thanks to SBF. You clearly have no idea of what you were doing.

rudydroid

Reaction score
gee, if you're talking about liberty gingerbread v0.5, i like it a lot.
works like a champ, as did 1.5, 2.0, 2.0.1, lg v0.2, .3, .4 and .5.
and mobile_sensei makes excellent themes and wallpapers.
but what do i know?

cowboydroid

Reaction score

What this guy said.

bricking is prtty much a thing of the past thanks to SBF. You clearly have no idea of what you were doing.

That's a bid rude of a response, don't you think? There are a lot of us that started out knowing absolutely nothing about rooting and beyond when we bought our devices. Instead of insulting him, why don't you offer some help? The number one thing that drives people away from the modding community is the precocious assholes that pretend arrogance.

Trenton

Reaction score
You should never flash a backup that is a different system version than you are currently on.

modisch

Reaction score
I think the main reason for the hostility is that almost anyplace that has a download for gb roms also have large warnings not to flash directly to the rom nor to flash back to froyo without sbf' ing.

While being rude can drive people out of modding... People that don't read instructions and "bricking" their phones and getting them replaced gives manufacturers and carriers more reason to restrict our ability to mod.

I'm more concerned about someone failing to read directions and subsequently trading in bricked phones, at a cost to motorola when we are trying to convince them to unlock the bootloader, than someone being rude on a forum.

What's worse for the modding community? A reputation for being rude or a reputation for trading in bricked phones?

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }

J

JriderG

The problem is that people don't like to read threads that have discussed the problem. I have read countless forums before even posting. All this information is already on the forum. The only way I know to brick the x is dropping it in a toilet or something. People sometimes just can't help to flame. But anyways just do some research on sbf files and rsd lite.

mcp770

Reaction score
That's a bid rude of a response, don't you think? There are a lot of us that started out knowing absolutely nothing about rooting and beyond when we bought our devices. Instead of insulting him, why don't you offer some help? The number one thing that drives people away from the modding community is the precocious assholes that pretend arrogance.

This is exactly the kind of moder I for one would like to drive away. Not to be rude but just honest as I would tell any of my friends that want to flash a rom. Before anyone attempts to update a rom there are two KEY elements that need to be followed. 1. understand the entire process both flashing and fixing via sbf BEFORE attempting. 2. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS THROUGHLY for every rom.

The reason this guy is getting such a cold response is because it is people who jump the gun and flash blindly that add to equipment returns and ultimately justify locked bootloaders in the eyes of manufacturers. Every returned user created brick pisses me off on a personal level for that reason and I'm not alone. There are hundreds of posts on how to fix bricks. Hundreds of posts on how to fix bootloops. Dozens of posts on how to upgrade/downgrade gingerbread. No excuse for anyone new to the community or otherwise to return a bricked device unless you bork the bootloader itself which is near impossible given it's locked.

Disclaimer: I am no expert so I am not "precocious" just speaking my mind as an individual. An individual that spent the first week owning my X reading multiple forums to understand the flash/sbf process in its entirety before trying custom roms.

crypto

Reaction score
^
this. I wasn't being rude....just blunt. There is a difference.

There is no excuse for ignoring the millions of instructions posted all of the internet and this forum. Anyone who starts flashing stuff to their phone without knowing what they are doing is asking for trouble.
There was definitely a time when I didn't know as much as i do now about modding phones. However before i did ANYTHING, i researched all the backup options for fixing my phone if something did go wrong.

I was just a little taken back by the fact the op is on their 2nd phone. I would have thought they'd learned their lesson from messing up their first phone.

quempas

Reaction score
Mgault-
The good news is that your phone is fine. Being stuck on that logo isn't a problem- you can fix it. And learning how is actually fun and rewarding.
What you need is a windows program called RSDLite. Searching this site or mydroidworld.com will yield download links and instructions. And there are other options if you have trouble with that program. Let me know of you need help.
Learning android is a fun trip!
greg

Captmilk

Reaction score
Like JriderG said if you read the forum instructions and the nightly instructions you should have no issues.

turdbogls

Reaction score
Number 1 rule in modifying a phone. make sure you know how to do an SBF.

rule 2, READ. you obviously did something wrong wether it be non wiping data/cache, or installing wrong versions...who knows, you obviously dont read anything because there are countless threads/posts stating that you CANNOT restore a Froyo backup on BF without running into issues.

also, please send me your first Droid X. i could use that for a nice paperweight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.