thinking on getting aextended battery

RockHead_Droid

Reaction score
I'm thinking on getting the extended battery for my Bionic , Tired of having a dead phone at 2pm . What are your feeling on the extended battery? Pro and Cons ? What is the best size to get 2760mah or a 4000mah?
I have GPS dock for the car and I have a Bionic Lapdock , would Bionic still fit in them with the extended battery?

Thanks Mark

Last edited:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are several extended batteries for the Bionic. Keep in mind that the OEM stock battery is 1735 mAh.

Mugen makes a slim extended battery that will fit in the original battery area. It puts out 2000 mAh and costs $45

Motorola makes one for 2760 mAh and costs about $25. It adds about 1/8" to the thickness, but it should fit the dock and the lapdock. The cases (like the Otterbox) are another matter.

Seidio makes a 3500 mAh for $65

Mugen also makes a 4000 mAh battery that costs about $89. Looking at Amazon and eBay there are other 4000 mAh batteries out there, some as low as $10.

Here's the thing, only the Motorola extended battery seems to play nice with the software. That doesn't mean that that others won't work, it's just that you'll get a "plug your phone into a charger" long before it's needed. When I had my OG Droid I had the Seidio extended battery and I had to use the Battery Left widget, but used the voltage instead of percentage. I knew that 4200 mV was full and 3500 mV was time to charge.

Some of the really cheap 4000 mAh batteries won't even work, but that's due to poor quality control as another will.

It's up to you. I don't believe the 4000 mAh will fit either the dock or the lapdock, but the Motorola extended battery should. All but the slim extended battery will add to the thickness and weight. For myself, I have the Motorola extended battery and am happy with its performance.

Last edited:

walkerstempe

Reaction score
What kind of hours are you getting with that Motorola extended battery. Getting 30 plus hours with my 9.99 eBay 4000 mah. Slimmer battery would be nice.

josh1980

Reaction score
I bought the Motorola OEM 2760mAh battery from Amazon for $25. I am quite pleased with it. With moderate usage I would be forced to charge the phone daily. This wasn't a big deal usually as I charge my phone at night, but when I used the phone heavily it wouldn't make it through the day. With the new battery I got almost 72 hours on a single charge. Mathematically it doesn't match up since I'd expect an increase in battery life of 60%, but it is what it is.

I read somewhere else that the Motorola Extended OEM and Mugen are likely the same capacity but Mugen calculates their total capacity differently. Not sure if that is true or not, but I am very happy with the Motorola Extended OEM battery. I have an otterbox case and the Extended battery does fit with the hardened plastic back removed from the Otterbox case. It's a slightly loose fit, but not bad at all.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the more expensive Mugen considering the amazing battery life I get from the $25 battery.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
I bought the Motorola OEM 2760mAh battery from Amazon for $25. I am quite pleased with it. With moderate usage I would be forced to charge the phone daily. This wasn't a big deal usually as I charge my phone at night, but when I used the phone heavily it wouldn't make it through the day. With the new battery I got almost 72 hours on a single charge. Mathematically it doesn't match up since I'd expect an increase in battery life of 60%, but it is what it is.

I read somewhere else that the Motorola Extended OEM and Mugen are likely the same capacity but Mugen calculates their total capacity differently. Not sure if that is true or not, but I am very happy with the Motorola Extended OEM battery. I have an otterbox case and the Extended battery does fit with the hardened plastic back removed from the Otterbox case. It's a slightly loose fit, but not bad at all.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the more expensive Mugen considering the amazing battery life I get from the $25 battery.

What Josh said... Moto extended battery works great and is reasonably priced.

Sent from my butt-kick'n DROID BIONIC Bionic using Tapatalk2

zanshin825

Reaction score
I liked the OEM extended battery quite a bit. Actually, since I'm sending the Bionic back to Verizon for the Rezound because of the data issues, if someone wants a month old OEM extended battery and back on the cheap, PM me.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Boyfriend has the 4000mAh extended battery. It lasts about 3 days with moderate usage. It doesn't fit in the car dock or lapdock with it in. He's calibrated it and reset battery stats, but it drains fast and stays on 1% for like 10 hours. He likes it, but it turns the phone into a brick.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i got the extended moto one at VZW for 27.00 . (its on sale now) advantage of that is if it fails in the year just bring it to VZW they will make it right

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boyfriend has the 4000mAh extended battery. It lasts about 3 days with moderate usage. It doesn't fit in the car dock or lapdock with it in. He's calibrated it and reset battery stats, but it drains fast and stays on 1% for like 10 hours. He likes it, but it turns the phone into a brick.

According to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/mo...c-ext-battery-door-24-99-a-2.html#post2112610 the 4000 mAh battery changes the Bionic from .443" thick and 6 oz to .722" thick and 8 oz. By contrast, the Motorola extended battery adds 1/8" to the thickness and 1 oz (see picture)

View attachment 50335

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think she was talking about the hyperion batteries they add more bulk and weight
see pic
31uKJbPe6uL._AA300_.jpg

amazon link

t
he other seems like a better deal though.

HDG55

Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone. I didn't ask but was thinking about it. I run Accupedo all day on my Bionic and even though I have reset the phone so it stays on 3G the battery goes fast. Often in the red before i get a chance to charge it. My hubby also runs Accupedo all day on a Droid X and his battery doesn't drain as fast as mine. I think I'll get the extended battery. So far Accupedo is ok but if anyone has a favorite walking/activity widget or app, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Zregnier

Reaction score
No reason to get anything bigger than the Moto extended battery especially if you use juice defender.

HDG55

Reaction score
I'll look into juice defender, I'm not sure what that is. Even though I'm a "Junior Droid" I qualify for AARP. Off to search...thanks.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll look into juice defender, I'm not sure what that is. Even though I'm a "Junior Droid" I qualify for AARP. Off to search...thanks.

Juice Defender is an app in the <gag> Play Store that is supposed to save you battery life by turning your radios on and off. I'm using it and it seems to work for me. I uses to have it in my OG Droid and it was not that helpful as it kept turning on my WiFi in places were there was no WiFi.

I'm 58 so I qualify for the "Jitterbug Club" at Ruby's.