The Story Of A Downgrade Gone BRICKED

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
It'd be cool if we could agree to reserve the word for it's original use--"beyond repair"--and devise another word for "that which can be salvaged." A few random suggestions:

- broken
- malfunctioning
- snafu'd
- misbehaving
- screwed up
- dead

A note on that last one: there are many reports of "raising people from the dead" (i.e., near-death experiences). But surely no one has ever turned a brick into a phone. :icon_eek:

-Matt

PS Despite the middle name "rants" I'm not trying to be abrasive here. If we agree as a community that "brick" has a new meaning--including harm that can be reversed--then I'm cool with that. But we should at least acknowledge that we've tweaked the meaning.

After having been admonished in another thread for this very issue, I'd like to propose (with tongue-in-cheek) the word "wedged" to represent phones that can be, for lack of a better term, "unbricked"! HA HA HA HA HA

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I believe that with effort, time and brick sculpting tools you could buy a brick and turn it into a cell phone. Albeit heavy, uncomfortable and pointless. :)

Slice two sections maybe 1/4 inch thick, hollow them out (so they look like picture frames. Cut a thin slice for a battery cover, drill some slits to put the battery door locks into. Make some air vents for heat release. Take your D1 apart and put the internals inside it and secure them (somehow). Then take the screen and secure it. (I have a theory on how to secure it but it's too much typing. Now glue the two brick pieces together. Voila! A brick that became a phone.

wmnomore

Reaction score
Josh should have edited his article. maybe nilay wouldn't look so stupid then. And how does this look to the companies that give out review units? This guy is going to relive this drunken night for a long while. cyanogen made comments on it. can't wait to hear what he had to say in last night's androidguys podcast.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I can not believe how stupid this guy is. First he does trust someone who leaks a ROM but does not trust someone who leaks the tools to fix bricked device when common sense would dictate that it is very possible it is from same source? If he would have spent some time reading first then he would have know to do a backup a how. I guess he did not spend a drunken night of hacking his DX but spent a night being a dumb ass. Any "hacker" would know to make a backup first.

How dumb can one be...

He should stick to his iPhone and maybe find someone to jailbreak it for him...whoopie!

And on top of that Engadget has him write for them? States that is a review unit? Ummm...I hope many manufactures did not read that.

Wouldn't any good hacker know that they should make a backup first and if you are going to screw around with a review unit then dont state it?

Geezeee...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe that with effort, time and brick sculpting tools you could buy a brick and turn it into a cell phone. Albeit heavy, uncomfortable and pointless. :)

Slice two sections maybe 1/4 inch thick, hollow them out (so they look like picture frames. Cut a thin slice for a battery cover, drill some slits to put the battery door locks into. Make some air vents for heat release. Take your D1 apart and put the internals inside it and secure them (somehow). Then take the screen and secure it. (I have a theory on how to secure it but it's too much typing. Now glue the two brick pieces together. Voila! A brick that became a phone.
Thanks! You know...that inspired me, so I slung "cell phone" and "brick" together into a google search query, and to my amazement:

Original "Brick" Cell Phone & Phones for sale. Old School, Big "Brick" and Car Bag Cell Phones as prop use for sale.

-Matt

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Thanks! You know...that inspired me, so I slung "cell phone" and "brick" together into a google search query, and to my amazement:

Original "Brick" Cell Phone & Phones for sale. Old School, Big "Brick" and Car Bag Cell Phones as prop use for sale.

-Matt

Those are more lick cinder blocks than bricks :)

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

-Matt

Those are more lick cinder blocks than bricks :)

LOL...I meant like...was distracted by hot neighbor walking by :)

beckx020

Reaction score
While it would be nice if Verizon (and everyone else) put up copies of the phone roms for everyone to download, I don't think they have to. They didn't sell you a toy to modify. They sold a phone with their known rom and other softwares.

My phone is rooted. I've thought about putting a cool rom in it. But Verizon and Motorola don't owe me a way to fix my phone if I brick it. And I guess that's what stops me from doing it. :D