The FTC and FCC curious why Android OEMs are so slow with updates

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Yes, getting a little pressure from the FTC & FCC could be a good thing. They are already being regulated so let's have the regulators do their jobs and actually have a positive effect.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which carrier is behind this? Ultimately a lobbyist group of some kind is behind it . We'll see is any carrier(s) get spanked over it in the end or if it's just more election year smoke up our behinds. They're not political expressly but are headed up by political appointees.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I don't believe it is something that should be policed... I am someone who feels we aren't entitled to updates. I feel we get them as a courtesy.. I know some argue that with the high dollars they spend on a device they are entitled to get updates but OEM's factor the cost of supporting that device beyond the purchase year... If they don't have to feel the need to support them I feel that price will go down.....

Don't get me wrong I love a new cool feature packed update and get antsy for them to come along but deep down appreciate the updates as a courtesy and not a requirement...

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I don't believe it is something that should be policed... I am someone who feels we aren't entitled to updates. I feel we get them as a courtesy.. I know some argue that with the high dollars they spend on a device they are entitled to get updates but OEM's factor the cost of supporting that device beyond the purchase year... If they don't have to feel the need to support them I feel that price will go down.....

Don't get me wrong I love a new cool feature packed update and get antsy for them to come along but deep down appreciate the updates as a courtesy and not a requirement...
I took it more as them wondering why security patches aren't quickly released. Not omgheerd marshmallow is here but why can't I get it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

In away I sort of agree. I do not think the government need to interfere. Consumers are capable of doing that themselves. Government agencies sound like they are going to drop the hammer but about time we go through the lawyers and rebuttals we are 2 or 3 years removed.
Consumers on the other hand can make a statement right then.
At the end of the day money talks. Companies know if they are pleasing the consumers by the money they bring in.

Now where we have a problem is if the manufacturer releases a security update and the carrier refuses to release it until they can package it with bloat (ie make money off the update) therefore intentionally putting a device at risk so they can make a buck. Especially since customers can not get the update without the carrier (unless you have a Nexus or iPhone).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
...Now where we have a problem is if the manufacturer releases a security update and the carrier refuses to release it until they can package it with bloat (ie make money off the update) therefore intentionally putting a device at risk so they can make a buck. Especially since customers can not get the update without the carrier (unless you have a Nexus or iPhone).

This is it that exactly how I interpreted the information on the post and the story behind it. It seems that we miss out on several interim security and error updates because of delays and actually wind up skipping over several of them in favor of a much larger package once the carrier has given it a seal of approval. This means that we as carrier-based phone owners are subject to greater risk during the periods of time when the updates have not yet been applied whereas the owners of the Nexus devices are kept as secure as possible and as bug-free as possible by the updates coming immediately upon their completion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

Well said!

S5 tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Who would have thought the words "most secure device (Android)" and "Nexus" would be in the same sentence. Wow has the Android landscape changed.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Big brother trying to further micro manage another aspect of our lives...i agree I'd like to timelier updates and and make companies do them and not back out..i sort of agree that the updates are a bonus..but for 600+ I think there should be some form of future support other than just warranty..but that's just me..

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If the OEM's are slackers, I see no issue with the Gov protecting me and getting involved...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If the OEM's are slackers, I see no issue with the Gov protecting me and getting involved...
Especially since they are already being regulated by the govt. My point earlier was just that. I'm already paying for them to regulate/police so might as well get some real benefit out of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Threads as of late on this forum were about an iPhone being too secure for the government to get into. Now they're asking why another os isn't secure enough?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Secure from bugs...not govt snooping. ;)
39db123054a6ff7242beefdd106a6d5d.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><