AT&T Displays the Depths of Their Hypocrisy While Arguing with the FTC

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 9, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

If AT&T's newest blatant hypocrisy doesn't get you a little rankled, then you have tougher skin than we do. AT&T is back in the news basically thumbing their noses at the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) again. To reiterate, in the fall, the FTC sued AT&T for misleading its customers. The FTC's complaint hinges on the fact that AT&T charges its customers for "unlimited" data plans, yet reduces their data speeds by as much as 90 percent if they use too much of their “unlimited” data.

Not only is that obviously hypocritical, their most recent statement aimed at the FTC is even worse. Here's a quote with the details,

So basically, AT&T is saying that the FTC doesn't have the authority to regulate them because they are a common carrier protected by the Title II classification of the FCC. Yet, out of the other side of their face, they have been desperately lobbying to make sure the FCC doesn't classify their Internet service under Title II.

You can't have it both ways. AT&T's shenanigans would make Emperor Palpatine's head spin...

Source: AT T defends unlimited data throttling says the FTC can t stop it Ars Technica

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    As evil as vzw can be, I was surprised to see how quickly they backed down from their intended throttling plan.

This is just the type of thing that makes me hate big corporations. Sure, many of them offer all sorts of useful and fun things, but they're constantly trying to bend and manipulate things in their favor so they can be sheisty and take advantage of the average citizen.

Don't go hiding behind something that you're also fighting to stay out from under.

And that's all the ranting I'll do here, since I'm not even an AT&T customer.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I remember the federal government telling Burger King , pre Obama,lose the trans fats in your menu or else. Burger King responded with basically the middle finger. Until the current administration took office BK got no further attempts to force a menu change and in the end the consumer wallet was what got things changed.
    AT&T fears only the loss of Benjamin's and not the federal government in the least.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 3
  4. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I personally don't think Verizon has "backed down" from their throttling plan. They may have said they did, but being a heavy data user, I can confirm that they throttle the crap out of me at home. (Where I use the bulk of my data.)
    If you look at this screenshot of my history,
    [​IMG]
    all of the single digit numbers are at home, double digits everywhere else.
    As I've stated before, I'm ok with this, as long as those numbers don't drop much lower. I can still watch videos, YouTube, Netflix etc, with only the occasional buffering issue.
    But for them to claim they aren't throttling their customers at all.....well, I call BS on that.

S5 tap'n

5. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I'm not sure that is "throttling" so much as your home tower doesn't have the back haul to support the amount of customers on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Heero121

Heero121 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Current Phone Model:
    note 3
    thats funny that you say that. IM currently engaged in a BBB complaint against VZW for throttlingmy speed, i suggest you do the same. I dont think we should be getting swept under the rug, somehow mysteriously the original complaint I made was dismissed in favor of VZW, and I had to reopen it and escalate it, and the BBB doesnt know why it was even settled in favor of VZW in the first place. Big red is being shady, 2.jpg

7. boidsonly

boidsonly Active Member

Ratings:
    +105
    ATT's weasel wording makes absolutely no sense. If Wheeler caves on Net Neutrality, the Carriers/ISPs will run roughshod over what is left of this country.
    I can corroborate VZW throttling-I never had a problem with d/l speeds until the last several months-my speeds are pathetic-and that is regardless of my data usage. I rarely go over 4gb and I have the unlimited plan.
    As soon as I find a Nexus 6, I am moving the family to T-mobile....

8. Heero121

Heero121 Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Current Phone Model:
    note 3
    I suggest you file a complaint with the BBB as well regarding Verizon throttling. *shakes fist*

9. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    It's definitely throttling. My wife can be sitting next to me with the exact same phone on the exact same service, same unlimited and get at least twice those speeds. It's always been lower at home, but never this low.
    (She doesn't usually go over 5-6 gig, I average 50+, so there's that.)

S5 tap'n

#9 cr6, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  10. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Time to get Internet service for your home.

11. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    I have internet service for my home, but in certain rooms the speeds are worse than 4G. That's besides the point. Verizon isn't supposed to be throttling its customers. Period.

S5 tap'n

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Have you tried powering your phone off, remove the SIM card, power it back up, power down after a minute, put card back, power back up? Also if you switch SIM cards with her and hers suddenly slows, you're most likely being throttled .

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1