1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

The End of Unlimited Data Plans?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by KevinJ, Mar 12, 2010.

1. KevinJ

KevinJ Member

2. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Bring it on.

Just gives me a way out of my contract without paying an etf.
  3. MyAbusa

MyAbusa New Member

Nothing like the networks fighting this new technology they're supplying us with. Let's get em all hooked on smart phones & once they've accustomed themselves to the new connectivity these devices afford them let's charge the heck out of them... Kind of like a Crack dealer... Get em hooked & then suck the life blood out of them.
  4. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Wow I thought with future technologies, things progress, not revert back to the days when AOL charged by time.
  5. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

And in other news... "Dog Bites Man."

Someone is going to pay for 4G networks. Either it will be based on use or socialized. Take your pick.
  6. MyAbusa

MyAbusa New Member

Now THAT is a glass is half full attitude! :)
  7. ldimick

ldimick New Member

Yeah, me too. I'd get a Nexus in addition to my Droid.
  8. flyguide83

flyguide83 New Member

Just don't change data plans and you should be grandfathered in. If that's not the case, you can break contract.
  9. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Gee, I guess you commented without actually reading the link eh?

Here's a quote:

"Current subscribers with unlimited data plans on AT&T or Verizon don’t have to worry at the moment. Both companies are several months or a year away from changing their policy to get rid of unlimited data plans. Such a move would also constitute a change substantial enough for subscribers to break their contracts without penalty."
  10. choklitcow

choklitcow New Member

Until the infrastructure is completely revamped costing billions of dollars, this change isn't only going to be affecting mobile carriers. Local ISP's are being hit with these issues as well. Bandwidth is disappearing at an alarming rate as your devices become more and more reliant on the current structure.

Had we built it as a continually adapting structure such as Korea, we wouldn't even be thinking about limiting a person's usage. And even then, with our population that is debatable.
  11. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

What are you saying? What he stated correlates exactly to what the link states.
  12. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I read the link and I agreed with him. My contract is only three months old. So if they bring it out in a year I CAN get out of my contract. Didn't do the math, huh?
  13. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

No, I read it fine. Apparently my reading level is somewhat higher than yours.
    :icon_ devil:
  14. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

So you can break your contract because they would drop unlimited data. If you're on VZW, you wouldn't want to go to AT&T, and vice versa. So, that leaves gagSprintgag or one of the other smaller carriers.

What VZW would do is keep you grandfathered in until your renewal to avoid the get out of jail free cards.
  15. actrack03

actrack03 New Member

So you mean I have to start to limit my po..... um I mean youtube usage?
  16. modette

modette New Member

I am not even a month into mine, my wife also got one (buy one get one deal)...so yeah if it means in a year I can get out if it, then GREAT. I'm not going to pay per mbps or whatever it might be...I will just go back to having a phone for the phone function. *shrug* Which I can use the droid for.
  17. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Look.. Verizon and AT&T are not stupid. Existing customers with existing unlimited data plans will be able to keep their plans. That is how it always is when cell companies make big changes like this. The only way I see us being effected by this type of change is if we go making changes to our plans and equipment. Don't make any changes and your good. By the time VZW will have rolled out LTE, and Unlimited data will come back, and you will even see it on mobile broadband cards as well.
  18. cpinto

cpinto Member

I think what is happening is a move away from ala cart plans. Probably moving to $70 per phone all you eat. Talk, Pix, Data, Text. Much like Sprint is advertising now.

That sure would simplify things.
  19. modette

modette New Member

The thing people are missing is it gives a way out...say they change the plan in a year, and I drop my phone in the toilet it dies...instead of being worried about an early termination I can just say "I want out" you broke the contract and they would HAVE to let me out.

So yeah we be grandfathered in...which also means we are unlikely to get new phones and when we do...very unlikely to stay with PDA style phone...might even mean the wife and I just switch to Boost Mobile or something.

We are probably the few people you would say "so why did you get the Droid". She got it for one FREE app, she can write the phone off for work due to that app and the data plan. :) I got it because it was buy one get one *shrug* After I got it, I was like well this will work for me to do live reviews of roads and trails (motorcycling) due to the internet...plus the ability to do 'My Tracks'.

But I always love having a way out of a contracts.
  20. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I got three of these emails today from Comcast..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [FONT=&quot]Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

We are pleased to announce the pilot launch of the Comcast Usage Meter in your area. This new feature is available to Comcast High-Speed Internet customers and provides an easy way to check total monthly household high-speed Internet data usage at any time. Monthly data usage is the amount of data, such as images, movies, photos, videos, and other files that customers send, receive, download or upload each month. Comcast measures total data usage and does not monitor specific customer activities to determine data usage.

The current data usage allowance for the Comcast High-Speed Internet service is 250GB per month. This means that the vast majority of our customers – around 99% currently – will not come close to using 250GB of data in a month, and do not need to check the usage meter.

To view your current data usage, please visit http://customer.comcast.com and sign in to customerCentral (shown below).

[​IMG]

After signing in, click on the "User & Settings" tab and click again on "View details" under "My devices". The usage meter shows the current calendar month's data usage for your account starting on the 1st of the month. Over time, you will be able to see the previous three months' data usage as shown in the sample image below.

[​IMG]

The usage meter is only available to Primary user accounts and Unrestricted Secondary user accounts with billing access.

If you would like to learn more about the usage meter and how it works, please visit Comcast.net Terms Of Service - Data Usage Meter for more information. Please visit our customer support forums at http://forums.comcast.net if you would like to ask us more questions or post comments. You can also click here to chat with a customer service representative, or call 1-800-COMCAST for assistance.

Thank you for choosing Comcast! [/FONT]
Search tags for this page

is verizon getting rid of unlimited internet

should i get rid of my unlimited data with verizon for tmobi

what happens if i go over my 5g data on my t-mobile plan