The Droid Wins

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was expecting the Droid to win, truth be told. It's the ultimate geek toy, the phone that you only think of as a phone when you need to make a call. It's basically an ultra-mobile PC, only smaller. And as it turns out, a remarkably good overclocker at that. Overclockability is ALWAYS good for geek cred. I bet the custom ROM and overclocking scene helped get alot of votes for the Droid.

I am soooo glad I played with a Droid before "upgrading" my Storm to a Storm2. After 5 minutes with the Droid, the S2 didn't stand a chance.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was expecting the Droid to win, truth be told. It's the ultimate geek toy, the phone that you only think of as a phone when you need to make a call. It's basically an ultra-mobile PC, only smaller. And as it turns out, a remarkably good overclocker at that. Overclockability is ALWAYS good for geek cred. I bet the custom ROM and overclocking scene helped get alot of votes for the Droid.

Pretty much correct on all points. And that's as good a rationale for the editors of engadget to pick the Droid as the gadget of the year and the iPhone as the smartphone of the year as I can imagine.

ghdesign

Reaction score
I just wanted to say - I'm thrilled about the results. But lets look at the editor's choice for smartphone of the year. Of course it was the iPhone... when you think about it, that phone has already been through 3 generations and was out the whole year. More people had them, understood them and were used to them.

I bought my Droid in early December, which wasn't too long after they came out, but although it is by far the best phone I've ever had and I would say superior to the iPhone, it is still just the 1st generation of this model. Had these two phones come out at the same time, there's no doubt that the Droid would have swept the iPhone off the charts.

I'm not afraid to admit that I am a 1st gen iPod Touch owner and I love it. I'm a Mac user, but also use Windows for some of my design work. I have never once considered switching to ATT for the iPhone because it just didn't have what I needed in a phone, especially if I was gonna pay that much for it. I switched over from a blackberry and being a guy that has traveled a lot, I would always have both devices with me. Now I get the best of both worlds in the Droid and I love it.

I'm saying this because although I do believe the iPhone is a nice phone and will continue to succeed, this accomplishment of the Droid, and also with the N1, will definitely give Apple a run for their money in the smartphone battle, and I believe it won't be long before many ATT users start auctioning off their iPhones on eBay and transfer over to a much better phone and clearly superior carrier.

I know there will always be newer phone being developed and newer technology every couple months... but this accomplishment by the Droid is no surprise to me and I'm thankful I am part of this revolution! :)

cuskit

Reaction score
Wow! When I first saw the message "your vote counted" I assumed it came down to just my vote. So.... I finally felt important..

Then I realized that Droid doesn't need my help - its stands tall on it's own merit!

GO DROID! YOU ROCK MY BOAT ANY DAY!!!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

A VERY HAPPY DROID OWNER - MIKEY :)

HyPn0tiK

Reaction score
wohoo just got my droid 2 days ago, glad i got the smartphone of the year =)

mattygabe

Reaction score

Pretty much correct on all points. And that's as good a rationale for the editors of engadget to pick the Droid as the gadget of the year and the iPhone as the smartphone of the year as I can imagine.
Spot-on, here here.:motdroidvert:

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
My favorite part of the awards was the that the samsung instinct hd made it for "cell phone" of the year. HA my friends says it's better than Droid... wow
wait til he heres this

CoreyT

Reaction score
Wow! When I first saw the message "your vote counted" I assumed it came down to just my vote. So.... I finally felt important..

Then I realized that Droid doesn't need my help - its stands tall on it's own merit!

GO DROID! YOU ROCK MY KRADLE ANY DAY!!!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Mike, I fixed your post for you :D

cuskit

Reaction score

GO DROID! YOU ROCK MY KRADLE ANY DAY!!!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Mike, I fixed your post for you :D

Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!
You are the MAN! :)
Mike