Temperature gets hot using Flash but not when continuously downloading stuff

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
I have a weird situation and I don't know how to remedy it.

I have a Droid 1, Sapphire 1.1.0 with Watermark'D v3.4, running CVPCS's LV 250-800Mhz kernel set to 250 (min) 550 (max) Conservative Governor.

I have SetCPU Temp profile (both CPU and Battery) to warn me if temperature exceeds 50C.

I can stream audio files continuously from the net or download a huge file that takes about 20-30 minutes to download without getting a temperature warning. But anytime I stream a flash video for more than 10 mintues, my temperature goes beyond 50C. My phone is not plugged in nor is it out in the sun.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what settings I need to change. And I don't think my settings are pushing my phone to the extreme or anything so I'm scratching my head a little bit here..

But any assistance would sure be appreciated.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Flash works the CPU hard -- 800MHz minimum to run Flash on Linux. Ten minutes of video in one go will heat things up. Are you sure your phone's ECC isn't kicking in because of the LV kernel?

Does it overheat while web browsing or playing games at all?

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response.

I do not know how to check for ECC but I do not get a temperature warning when I'm just surfing the net, streaming audio content, playing games, talking on the phone, listening to mp3 while playing freecell or checking e-mails, text messages.

You could be right, it just might be Flash in which case I'll just uninstall it since I really don't have to use it on my phone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
ECC kicks in when the phone's being pushed so hard (either voltage is too low or the speed is too high) that the CPU can't keep up. ECC kicking in would result in sluggish performance and a LOT of heat buildup, FCs, stability issues, etc.

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
So does that mean I have to install a different kernel?

Well, guess what. I let my phone cool down for a while and started to download a 100MB file. Well, it's been about 15 minutes now and I got the failsafe warning again. So maybe Flash isn't the culprit.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
The 3G antenna uses a LOT of juice and thereby generates a LOT of heat... Couple that with the CPU running at max speed for ten minutes and I'm not surprised you're tripping the failsafe.

A lower-voltage kernel might help. If you can run them (and don't need compcache, which I do but no other kernel has run as well on my phone), ChevyNo1's kernels are among the best. He has ULV as well as LV and SV/MV kernels. I'd recommend the 8-1 kernels because the 9-23 kernels don't play as well with phones, I've noticed from the thread.

joeybarclay

Reaction score
I had my phone really warm when using flash on stock.I couldn't check the cpu temp but it was warmer than i let my rooted phone get.

OP
The_Other_Ray

The_Other_Ray

Reaction score
The 3G antenna uses a LOT of juice and thereby generates a LOT of heat... Couple that with the CPU running at max speed for ten minutes and I'm not surprised you're tripping the failsafe.

A lower-voltage kernel might help. If you can run them (and don't need compcache, which I do but no other kernel has run as well on my phone), ChevyNo1's kernels are among the best. He has ULV as well as LV and SV/MV kernels. I'd recommend the 8-1 kernels because the 9-23 kernels don't play as well with phones, I've noticed from the thread.

I am currently using CVPCS' Low Voltage 250-800Mhz kernel at 550. I didn't want to overclock my phone.

I do have Compcache enabled but I guess if it helps to not overheat my phone, I can turn that off.

Thanks for all your tips. At least now I have some different things to try out.