TB screen quality explained?

indee2025

Reaction score
I had a Droid X before I got the Thunderbolt and I liked the quality of the DX screen- to me it looked like I was watching a nice flat panel on display at best buy just scaled down....

I recently got the Thunderbolt and I love it but I'm a little turned off by the quality of the same movies playing on the TB screen- looks like movie theater quality but scaled down....

Is it just me or is the screen on the DX better than the TB? I have searched online and can't find anyone saying anything definitive about the TB screen v.s. DX screen as far as specifics (other than 4.3'' display and TB is TFT)...is the TB using the best screen technology available for 4.3'' size?

slinky

Reaction score
I like the screen. However, outdoors in semi-bright daylight the phone becomes useless, even at autobrightness which pumps it to the max. Rather remarkable, as if nobody tested the phone outdoors.

1android

Reaction score
my only complaint is as stated above, it can be difficult to view outside in the sun. I already knew about this before buying the phone though. Other than that, I personally think the screen quality is 10X better than the X. I loved the X when I got it but after having my TB, I cant believe how much more vibrant and deep the colors are on the TB. I had the X on the day it came out, got the TB 3 weeks ago and haven't ONCE looked back wishing I had the X back.

alboboy10

Reaction score
This phone has worse resolution but somehow better screen quality.

The only complaint I have is mine has leak. So my screen will never be as bright as it should be.

The only drawback from htc devices is the build quality. Motorola devices are more sturdy, feel better. This phone as much as I love it, feels a lot cheaper than my dx did.

RicKaysen

Reaction score
Had a DroidX before the TB and prior to that a Nexus One on ATT. Going from the N1 to the DroidX, I was very disappointed in the screen. The AMOLED N1 screen was amazing...totally useless in sunlight, but gorgeous otherwise. By comparison the DroidX looked muddy and dull. I adjusted to it, however and after a few weeks, it didn't bother me. I think the TB screen looks better than the Droid. Not as good as the N1, but I'm adjusting again. Own any phone for a short time and it will look fine.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
No way... The thunderbolt has a much better screen than the Droid X imo. You cant notice a difference in the resolution unless you put your face 3 inches from the screen. And the colors are much more vibrant than the X

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Reaction score
I am considering the DX2, but the question is when will it come out. I have the TB but dual core, equal memory, very likely MORE internal storage like the original DX and the 540x960 screen would be nicer as well.

KillerKPD

Reaction score
I like the screen. However, outdoors in semi-bright daylight the phone becomes useless, even at autobrightness which pumps it to the max. Rather remarkable, as if nobody tested the phone outdoors.

Couldn't agree more. I can have it on a mildly sunny day and I have to hold it at weird angles to read the screen, but in bed, I can have brightness set to "0" and it is still plenty bright.

xan

Reaction score
Every htc phone I've seen in sunlight is basically useless. I don't really care about resolution and colors, if I cant see the darned thing.

hustlinjoe

Reaction score
yeah I thought I was just my thunder bolt try watching a movie they are pixely and baggy looking I don't understand what the problem is I thought this was supposed to be a better display

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

KillerKPD

Reaction score
the TB screen quality is awful. You can see the pixel patterns clear as day when looking at pictures.

I do not have this issue. My pictures are actually pretty good when viewed on the TB screen, my only complaint is on sunny days. I have to shade the phone, remove/pulldown sunglasses to even attempt at reading the screen.

Reaction score
I haven't had any screen issues so far.

The only other Android phone I've ever owned was a Droid Pro, and the TB is quite a step up from that in all areas.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

project e46m3

Reaction score

EXACTLY! I tested my buddies HTC EVO and its the same deal..you can see anything during bright daylight.