Can someon compare the TB to the OG for me?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by tsitalon1, Mar 28, 2011.

1. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 New Member

Hey guys, like most, I bought an OG on launch day and have enjoyed it immensely.

I am trying not to get caught up in the TB vs Bionic debate, but do have a few questions about how the TB relates to the OG.

Rate 1-10, 10 =best.

Original Droid

Call quality 8
    Handset earpiece volume 7
    Bluetooth audio quality 8
    Bluetooth audio volume 7
    Screen resolution 8
    Still picture quality 4
    video quality 6
    Soft KB accuracy 6

That's all I can think of, feel free to add more entries. However, let's refrain from comparing the battery since there are so many variables with that.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

If the screen resolution is a 6 to you on the Droid you'll be extremely dissappointed on the Thunderbolt..
  3. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 New Member

Ok....I made it an 8 lol
  4. James9109

James9109 New Member

You think its bad? I.think the.quality is great compared to many other devices.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
  5. Lucas5

Lucas5 New Member

Droid 1: 854×480 vs TB: 480 x 800
    so technically, the TB has a lower resolution but it looks damn good.

Call quality 8
    Handset earpiece volume 7
    Bluetooth audio quality 8
    Bluetooth audio volume 7
    Screen resolution 8
    Still picture quality 7
    video quality 5
    Soft KB accuracy 9 (it's pretty good at predicting what you type and what you meant to type)

it has been asked before and i definately feel that the TB is major upgrade from the original droid.
  6. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I don't think it's bad at all. Was just saying to the op if he thought that the droid's resolution on a 3.7 inch screen at 854x480 was a 6, then 800x450 or whatever the TB's is on a 4.3 inch would dissappoint him.
  7. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

i'm an OG droid snob too.
    its true.

using the tbolt i noticed first the sound is very muffled...reason..speaker is hidden by the kickstand..boo.

I don't sit around with my phone on a stand getting calls...its in my pocket where a lot of times i don't hear it anyway...

next the screen...i believe its a lower resolution on a physically bigger screen...so yeah..not impressed... unless you have bad vision then its a huge difference.

and finally lack of a keyboard, might be a killer, i'm willing to give it a try but with the droid3 coming soon, and rumored to be a "google experience" device... i have to wait.

oh tbolt pluses! battery life, if you're on 3g and turn the screen brightness down you will get better battery life.

its faster!

cool sense "themes" built in, kinda nice.

physically larger screen...if you have good vision though this can be bad..cause to me the csm desire looks crisper...reason being? same resolution smaller screen.

good luck!
  8. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 New Member

I know other phone are coming, but the fear of a tiered pricing structure has me nervous about waiting to long.
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Simple. a Droid is a real Droid. Thunderbolt is an Android phone made by HTC.

If it doesn't say Motororla, it ain't a Droid. ;)
  10. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Thunderbolt

Call quality: 8
    Handset earpiece volume: 9
    Bluetooth audio quality: haven't played with it
    Bluetooth audio volume: haven't played with it
    Screen resolution: 8
    Still picture quality: 8
    video quality: 7 smart phones only comparison
    Soft KB accuracy: 8.5

I bought the OG on Nov 6 2009, and after rooting, I said that I wouldn't ever find another phone to replace that bad boy. As hard as it is to leave the OG development community, the Thunderbolt is leaps and bounds ahead of a stock OG. Hell it's still better than a rooted OG in my opinion, and I've had nothing but the best experience with my OG thanks to the OG development community. But you have to play with the TB in order to truly appreciate it.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Despite my decision ^^, I still use my OG around the house because of all the cool ROMS out there.
  12. CyD

CyD New Member

Droid Incredible.
    New Samsung Droid.
  13. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

No, no, no. :) Does Chevy make the Mustang, or Ford a Corvette? this phones have the Droid title because Verizon gave it to them. They are Android phones, brothers and sisters, but not Droids in my book.
  14. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Hmmm.....

But the Atrix isn't a droid and Samsung is crashing the droid party over at VZW.
  15. lexthemonsta

lexthemonsta New Member

I was willing to stick it out and wait for the Bionic but I figured Motoblur would be all over that beast and I personally don't like it. I actually went to the Verizon Store the day the Thunderbolt was released and bought it. I really thought I would keep holding off for something amazing since my OG was rooted and all, but the Tbolt made me see things that I didn't dream possible and unfortunately my rooted OG Droid could not do or emulate :( but truthfully speaking, the Tbolt has stolen my heart and do not regret leaving my OG as it's backup. This bad boy is blazing fast, I thought I would miss the physical keyboard and I don't. I haven't rooted it yet since it's pretty sick in it's stock form. This of course is my personal experience with the matter at hand. If you gained something from it, great, if not, great. You'll just have to find someone with a Tbolt and give it a test run or go down to the store and try it out. My overall rating is a 9. The battery isn't all that great but it isn't awful either.
  16. DroidStang

DroidStang New Member

The sound?....tell you, it is plenty loud...turn it up in your cube and see how the ringer sounds on a call, then I showed someone that damn you tube clip someone with that slight over weight dude was fdancing to on the battery thread...my hump my hump lmao...and the sound almost blew me out the room, christ could not turn down quick enough, so guess depends how the clip/file is compiled with the mhz's quality.
  17. tsitalon1

tsitalon1 New Member

I guess the ratings don't really materr...

what I am getting at is are do you have regrets using your upgrade for the TB?

Also, audio is VERY important to me as I make music and enjoy hearing it in the car via bluetooth audio.

I played with one for 5 mins in a bestbuy store and was blow away by the camera, seemed VERY nice compared to the OG. That's a very nice plus.

On the external speaker issue, can the kickstand be removed and have holes drilled in it to allow sound out?
  18. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I came from a OG rooted droid, and don't regret buying the TB at all. Its extremely fast and to me beats the droid in everything except maybe external speaker and the LED.
  19. gerg004

gerg004 New Member

^THIS. 99% agree, after a few tweaks in the settings the battery is great.

Loved my rooted OG that was pushed to the max. Loved every last thing about it...told myself a thousand times between the announcement of the TB to March 22nd I WOULD NOT BUY THE THUNDERBOLT. Being addicted to technology the way I am I bought one on March 22nd. Best decision I ever made :)
  20. CsonkaBear

CsonkaBear New Member

I could do that. Great idea.