Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with your solutions but that does not work for things like the browser.
Just yesterday I went to a web site. Closed out, played games, took pics and other stuff. Phone was running slow and I happened to click on the browser and it still had the same dam page open (CNN) and it had refreshed during the time I had not been using it. Not good.
Also there is a permissions issue in Android that puts progs in memory that have never been used. That is not a good thing despite it being a good prep for progs you do use.
Corp Calender in memory when I have never opened it, not right. I use task killer to stop things like the browser issue when it happens. When I want to clear up some memory for a game and yes it does run better after clearing.

I do not how ever run any auto kill stuff. That is detrimental to the performance of the phone.

Before you bash me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about I am a systems admin and have everything from linux clients to servers. I also dig into Android itself despite not being a rooter.

Whatever works for you is fine. Every once in a while, I kill a rogue task. As far as the browser goes, I use Dolphin HD. It is easy to close a tab with one tap or just exit the browser when done by using it's Exit button. Closing the "windows" in the stock browser is a bit more of a pain so I see why you might just kill the task.

As far as corporate calendar running, it really annoyed me when I first got my Droid, but then I realized that it was just sitting idly in memory. Android seems smart enough to kill stuff as needed, so now I don't worry about stock apps that load up. Besides, if I task kill them, the OS just ends up spending resources to load the app again. The best way to deal with that crap is to root and rename or delete the app.

That being said, some of those stock apps seem to need to run. For example, I think if you kill the Email app or the Google Talk service, you'll end up not getting Email and see other problems.

When I say "don't kill tasks" I'm trying to:
-save battery because the OS doesn't have to constantly restart apps like Corporate Calendar. Plus, an auto killer uses resources just by having to run in the background.
-avoid problems like not getting Email after killing the wrong thing
-not waste time by clicking a task killing widget 50 times/day. Let the OS handle it.

The moral: Try it both ways. See what works best for you.

Last edited:

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
That's the whole point. The longest frequency of the MLB app is one minute. Its an imperfect app like all apps. It's pollyanna for Google to expect every app will conform to that standard without market control. Therefore we should be able to kill apps with ease.

Google is walking down the Apple trail on this one.

The developer should "know better" than to have the
highest available setting at 1minute?

I agree with that statement.
The MLB app should be able to be killed at any time
without it affecting other apps or even the Android OS itself.

Google will only intervene if an app is considered malicious
on a mass scale. The guy charges $15, we should have a say
in further development.

pilot25

Reaction score
I agree but their communication of how this works has been slow metered and pathetic. They needed to do this from day one and they haven't. So instead they "Appleize" their devices to our suffering.

I hope you are right and devs respond quickly.

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
yea an app should not randomly be turning your gps on. Thats a serious problem and I would uninstall. But some apps may leave your gps on after exiting, which isnt quite so terrible. In these situations, a task killer is fine, however, its not necessarily needed. There are other ways to accomplish the same goal.

pyro6128

Reaction score

Cappuchica

Reaction score
I tried not having a task killer and my battery died in half the day. Used it like normal.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried not having a task killer and my battery died in half the day. Used it like normal.

I don't use a task killer. If my battery died in half a day I would track down the crap app/widget/live wallpaper that was doing it and uninstall that thing.

When done with Maps, return to home screen so GPS shuts off. When done with Navigation, use the Exit button from the menu.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wifi uses less power than 3g so you want to leave it on. My battery dies faster if I shut it off. Gps can be left on too as lolng as you keep an eye on apps/widgets that use it. Droid x users need to work around the no sleep bug if they want to keep that stuff on...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Threads merged. We don't need two threads on task killers in the same sub forum.

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
Just yesterday I went to a web site. Closed out, played games, took pics and other stuff. Phone was running slow and I happened to click on the browser and it still had the same dam page open (CNN) and it had refreshed during the time I had not been using it. Not good.
Also there is a permissions issue in Android that puts progs in memory that have never been used. That is not a good thing despite it being a good prep for progs you do use.
Corp Calender in memory when I have never opened it, not right. I use task killer to stop things like the browser issue when it happens. When I want to clear up some memory for a game and it runs better after clearing.
I rarely use the stock browser since Dolphin is just vastly superior in every aspect. By the way, even though the stock browser can't kill doesn't mean you can't kill that window. Unless your home page is CNN
then killing that window will reload the home page. (whatever it is)

I used to have the issue with Corp Calendar, and amazon but I've learned
to use better memory management programs or have deleted the app in systems/app (amazon) I am sick of the google news and weather app
and have to kill it each time I reboot.

I do not how ever run any auto kill stuff. That is detrimental to the performance of the phone.

Before you bash me and tell me I don't know what I am talking about I am a systems admin and have everything from linux clients to servers. I also dig into Android itself despite not being a rooter.

Only people who lack (many things) bash people for having a
difference of opinion. But I will say you'd think the President
having studied Constitutional Law would exemplify that...but he doesn't.

I can tell you that using Auto Killer has made my phone just a roaring
and screaming giant. The stricter the setting, the more apps are killed and you can finely tune the types of apps, services it kills.

My phone has never slowed down, nor had a redraw since using Autokiller.
(Whether I use ADW, or launcher pro is makes no difference)

I don't use a task killer to tell me what apps are "running" and I've never
had a problem. In fact my phone is a little too fast right now.
Screens appear instantly. I don't claim to be better, or know more than any other person on this board, or any other for that matter.

But I can tell you that through the use of AutoKiller I've had the best experience with my phone I've ever had.

I'm almost curious to know what apps are running according to
the ATK app?:)