Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then why do I see a lot of talk about task killers

No you don't need one they cause more harm than good and do little but waste battery and CPU cycles. People use them for the same reason they do other useless things, they don't truelly understand what they are doing and listen(ed) to someone else that knows even less (usually a VZW Rep or some punk kid).

Try the search feature up top, there are entire threads dedicated to the issue with several citings from the Android developers and other who actually know the OS.

IF on the off chance you need to find out what going on with some bad apps (i.e. runaway apps eating CPU cycles) or something than use a 'passive' app like WatchDog that just tracks the programs and informs you of whats happening rather than actually messing with your system.

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
I think for android in general, you do need one, I think for the Droid pro you really don't need one but its nice to have. Im not saying to go download a task killer.. just keep the one that came with the Droid pro. Every now and then a certain app will go ape **** and its just nice to have a task manager if you ever need to kill an app that wont want to quit.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Don't down a battery killing taks killer app. If you have a rogue app, go to menu/settings/applications/manage applications/running and force close that app and then uninstall it. Find an app that does the same job, but doesn't go rogue.

Good luck.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Android does not need a separate task killer.

Would you put an second steering wheel in your car? Then why put an app that works against the OS? It's like trying to have two people steering the car.

fishstick600

Reaction score
I wonder how long this argument will go on lol. Ask google what they think....I know the answer which has been posted here before

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how long this argument will go on lol. Ask google what they think....I know the answer which has been posted here before

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

... for all eternity :icon_eek::icon_eek:

Google's answer is in the first post of this thread :)

LOSE THE TASK KILLERS!

fishstick600

Reaction score
im guessing a lot of the people who use task killers dont even know theres a native one.. works perfectly... ive got mine as a shortcut.. i dont need more battery life for my droid i get 2 days on it lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy tablet using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Task killers

There is a great link to a large report on taskillers in droidxforums/tech issues/extremely slow text. Though I had no problems I offered options I had used on anothers droid x which seemed to help. Someone else who clearly holds a great deal of knowledge on the subject began to offer advice
All I can say if u use roms like apex and such without issues, turn off your task killer if u hav one... wow the speed increase is incredible and I hope the battery holds a respectable image, more to come!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

sponsellerfd

Reaction score
I understand that the OS handles memory resources and I know that it does not affect battery life. BUT, the droid does become quite sluggish because the OS continue to open skype, and et. al. Leaving 21-28 mb memory free. It slows down the responsiveness of the unit drastically.
When I do an "all kill", the droid processes I am running becomes faster.
Really, Droid should absolutely allow us to dismantle skype, city-id, etc at our choosing. It is constantly bogging my LG Ally to the point of extreme ftustration.
Thanks for letting me vent and express my perspective and experience. I hope that the developer will allow this option to occur.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Doesn't take much to make a 400MHz processor feel "sluggish". Do you use your back button to exit apps or the home button? How often do you turn the phone off?

I understand that the OS handles memory resources and I know that it does not affect battery life. BUT, the droid does become quite sluggish because the OS continue to open skype, and et. al. Leaving 21-28 mb memory free. It slows down the responsiveness of the unit drastically.
When I do an "all kill", the droid processes I am running becomes faster.
Really, Droid should absolutely allow us to dismantle skype, city-id, etc at our choosing. It is constantly bogging my LG Ally to the point of extreme ftustration.
Thanks for letting me vent and express my perspective and experience. I hope that the developer will allow this option to occur.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App