Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

G

Grimster

Again you keep posting this yet they DONT address the proven reduction in performance when android manages memory on its own.

When the system is low on memory the process of reallocating memory is not instant and you can see this very easily by simply using an App called aLogcat. There you can clearly see all processes running, even Android system processes. What is great about this little app is you can see the memory reallocation processes and the times it takes to process. These times are in exact parallel to the performance reduction of the phone when memory is low.

This is the reason why you need task killer apps if you want to keep your phones performance at max, to keep your phone memory free so that these reallocation processes do not occur.

I have researched this topic quite a lot and the proof is undeniable. Unfortunately some anti-taskkiller members refuse to acknowledge this, turn their heads, and point to articles and videos demonstrating how Android manager memory on its own yet these articles and videos completely overlook the performance reduction of the phone that is caused due to these processes. The ignorance of these members is so great that they refuse to even respond to what has been proven here.

Well my friend, you now have an answer. Yes, you do need your task killer app if you want to keep your phone performance ideal.

Claudzion

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I've been using the free Froyo one and haven't had any issues. Only ones are battery related. So I was wondering. Thanks again.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

G

Grimster

All task killers claim to manage ram so im pretty sure auto killer is in fact a task killer.
Stop posting misinformation as its obvious you are very inexperienced in task killer apps. Most task killer apps do not manage memory on thier own. They give YOU the ability to end apps or batches of apps of your choice with and simply press of a button.

G

Grimster

From my experience with Auto Killer, it definately helps. Some times I run lots of applications at the same time. On top of that, I use Launcher Pro and Widget Locker. Before I had Auto Killer, my phone use to lag or some times freeze for a second or two. When that happens, I check the RAM and the memory on the RAM gets as low as 20-30mb. Especially after running a game application. Ever since I installed Auto Killer and had it preset to aggressive, I rarely run into the issues I mentioned above. Also, the phone runs smoother. Like I mentioned, this is from my experience.
Correct. This is exactly what I am talking about. When system memory gets low the android memory reallocation processes slow the phone down. Many people here against task killer apps willfully ignore this proven fact.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
From my experience with Auto Killer, it definately helps. Some times I run lots of applications at the same time. On top of that, I use Launcher Pro and Widget Locker. Before I had Auto Killer, my phone use to lag or some times freeze for a second or two. When that happens, I check the RAM and the memory on the RAM gets as low as 20-30mb. Especially after running a game application. Ever since I installed Auto Killer and had it preset to aggressive, I rarely run into the issues I mentioned above. Also, the phone runs smoother. Like I mentioned, this is from my experience.
Correct. This is exactly what I am talking about. When system memory gets low the android memory reallocation processes slow the phone down. Many people here against task killer apps willfully ignore this proven fact.

Any backup to this?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

The fact of the matter is, a running app killing tasks defeats the purpose. If you back out of the app properly it will stop it running all the same. I've had my D1 since launch, no task killers and no lag. Wifes DX....no task killers, 5 months and no lag. Back out of an app don't hit the home key and you'll be fine.

Sent from somewhere...

Myree67

Reaction score
Wow the Verizon person had me add the taskiller app this weekend and it's helped a little but my son has a droid with Sprint and they told him the app is probably what ruined his phone to the point of having to replace it. Has anyone else heard of or had this problem?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow the Verizon person had me add the taskiller app this weekend and it's helped a little but my son has a droid with Sprint and they told him the app is probably what ruined his phone to the point of having to replace it. Has anyone else heard of or had this problem?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

That just proves that you can't trust what a cell phone sales rep says about Task Killers whether they support them or not. Will it's true that they do not help, in the long run, it's also true that they can not "ruin your phone". Any issues they cause can be easily corrected. I would stick to trusting what they say about. . . Well, I can't think of anything right now!! Maybe I will later. :)

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah no task killers and no lag here. If you do have lag, you have other issues.

Instead of trying to mask them with a task killer, focus on optimizing your system so you don't have the issue.

guest0

Reaction score
In a perfect world, you should close the program or an application correctly when exiting how ever, in a real world, most or many of us don't. Lots of times, We hit Home when exiting an application. Especially during a game or any other application because you got an email, text or just decide to run another application. It's can be a hassel. When you try to exit properly from certain application, you many have to take few additional step but its much more convinent just to press home button.

Here is what I like about Auto Killer. If I have too many appalications running, it will kill certain application or applications for me automaticly to ensure I have enough ram reserved to run any other application now or the later.

I personally would rather have Auto Killer installed to ensure I have enough ram reserved to run my next application with out having any lag than not have Auto Killer and worry about if I am closing or exiting my applications correctly. I would sacrafice little battery life for convinience.

As for the Task Killer, I do understand the concerns. When I first got my Android phone, I use to have have Task Killer. Many times I try to kills certain application and next minute, its up and running in a back round again which is a waste of power.

I am not a computer tech by any means how ever I do know that LOW RAM in any operationg system including Window, IOS and Android with decrease the performance.

Last edited:

guest0

Reaction score
Yes. They both Kill Tasks how ever in a different way. Auto Killer manages when and what applications are killed automaticlly for the user in order to reserve enough ram which is preset set by a user.

In Task Killer, that does not happen. User manually have to go into Task Killer and kill the application themselves. Task Killer is useless unless user manually uses the applications.

Its a different process.

Also, as a note. I have 148 user applications installed on my DX NOTincluding the system app & data.

With that many apps installed and running many apps simultaneously, Auto Killer definately helps.

karen84a

Reaction score
could you answer a few questions for me please? I really am very confused.
- when I click on "apps" then "market", I get a screen that says the following

Accounts & sync

it lists
background data w/ a ck mark
and auto sync also w/ a ck mark

then asks if I want to "sync all" or add account"

When I first started looking at apps (I got the phone Tuesday), I was able to download from the market. Now, there is nothing.

Can you help me? And, if so...I have many other questions.

I went in person to the verizon store today. Big HUGE mistake. What a moron!!! The guy was a total jerk, after telling me I was basically stupid, I found this website when I got home. Your posts look knowledgeable, so here I am.

I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you very much.

cpjr

Reaction score
Guess I'm just lucky, I have a ton of stuff installed too, and no need for any type of task killer at all.