Sync Droid with Gmail Documents?

Rob Robertson

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can sync gmail documents with the Droid. If so how is it done? I have a new droid and now I'm faced with purchasing Documents to go download or putting my documents in gamil documents if it will sync with the Droid. I have spent the last two days reviewing Droid Forums for this information but have not been successful in finding any written documents stating how to get documents from Word into the Droid.

jsmcdon1

Reaction score
I use ThinkFree Mobile from the Android Market. It allows you to sync with your Google Doc's account, and open Word, Excel files. It works great for me. I also have Documents To Go, but use my Google Doc's account and ThinkFree almost exclusively.

MHMcGrath

Reaction score
I use gDocs - a little free app which I think will do everything you want. It has sync, import, export, etc. I like it. There is also an auxiliary prog called (I think) "GDocs IO Extras" which enables some of the file-handling extra features from other progs..

andulinde

Reaction score
I use gDocs as well. FYI it only syncs with one folder in your Google Documents tree (by default, named "gdocs notepad with sync"). So unless you move all your existing docs into that folder it won't sync. Note gDocs seems to only open text files, not spreadsheets etc.

Just downloaded ThinkFree, and it gives access to all your Google Docs. Nice.

Last edited:

MHMcGrath

Reaction score
I use gDocs as well. FYI it only syncs with one folder in your Google Documents tree (by default, named "gdocs notepad with sync"). So unless you move all your existing docs into that folder it won't sync. Note gDocs seems to only open text files

I can't say that I've experienced what you describe. All my docs, in all folders, are properly synced (and color tagged!) It allows me to look in any of the folders from a menu. When clicking on files, of any filetype, they are linked in my browser directly and open properly. I have no trouble importing a variety of filetypes from my phone SD and can opt to convert to Google Doc. Now, keep in mind, I have also installed the IO Extras as I mentioned. All in all, it does virtually anything I want. I would caution there is another app called GDocs Notepad that makes quick notes that are synced to GDocs online - but that is entirely a different sort of app - very limited in purpose and functionality.

OP
R

Rob Robertson

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the Info

Thanks to all of you for the informaition. I will be downloading some of these apps and try them.

I currently downloaded Docs to Go reader (which is free) but I have to connect the Droid to the computer by USB cable to upload or delete documents and the documents are read only. I could get the complete Docs to go for $20 but feel this is expensive. I think I'll try Thinkfree. After all if it doesn't work I can uninstalled it.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 for gDocs. Works like a ..... and why does a charm work so well anyway?

Zargon

Reaction score
After briefly using both ThinkFree and GDocs, I uninstalled ThinkFree and will keep using GDocs. GDocs lets you edit documents and it's free. You have to pay for ThinkFree to be able to edit documents.