Swype stopped swiping

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Today Swype stopped working. It'll type, but not swipe.

I'm a member of the beta program, but I didn't see any emails about an update. The only program I've added recently is QuickDesk.

Anyone else with it not working?

Last edited:

stevenfstein1

Reaction score
did you try switching to a different keyboard and then back to swype? That might work.
Regards... Steve

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got it to work by uninstalling and reinstalling.

Very odd.

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I fixed mine! The reinstall wasn't working for me, but I found clues on Skype's website. I had to free up my memory, the SkypeInstaller app was having issues and apparently never registered the Skype keyboard software correctly. All good now!

Advanced: I receive one of the following errors when I try to install Swype:
  • Registration of the License Failed
  • Swype is already installed. Please uninstall Swype and try again.
  • Swype is configured for another device and will operate with limited functionality.
  • You do not have the necessary permissions to install Swype or
  • The ID of this of this phone does not match your registration at beta.swype.com

These errors are often shown when the Swype installer is terminated prematurely by the Android OS system activity manager as it tries to reclaim resources. Regardless of the cause, these steps should resolve the issue:

• Uninstall both Swype and SwypeInstaller from your device - detailed directions here
  • Reboot your device
  • Close as many widgets from your desktop as possible
  • Download the SwypeInstaller
  • Use a task-manager to kill all non-essential running apps
    (If you are not familiar with the task-manager, you can skip this, but you may see the error again)
  • Install and run the SwypeInstaller

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your responses.

I ended up uninstalling the app, then went to my email from them giving me a link for the installer. I reinstalled and it seems to be working.

Funny, at first the installation failed because I already had Swype installed. I know I had uninstalled it before I even got the installer and when I looked at the app, it had today's date. Oh well, I uninstalled it again and this time it went through.

ohioDroid

Reaction score

I ended up uninstalling the app, then went to my email from them giving me a link for the installer. I reinstalled and it seems to be working.

Funny, at first the installation failed because I already had Swype installed. I know I had uninstalled it before I even got the installer and when I looked at the app, it had today's date. Oh well, I uninstalled it again and this time it went through.

One of the errors that Swype points out you can get is "Swype is already installed. Please uninstall Swype and try again." This apparently means that due to the Swype Installer not getting its mind all set up again after you install the Swype software, that it thinks you had Swype installed before and doesn't register the new software for you.

Luckily, it's working for you now :icon_ banana:

Mechanician

Reaction score
Today Swype stopped working. It'll type, but not swipe.

I have an unrooted Motorola Droid and I'm having the same problem. I'm getting the following error message:

"Your trial period has ended. Please upgrade your copy of Swype."

I'm currently using the following version:

1.25.16.5612.t100

MOD EDIT: Please don't post links as swype is still an invite only beta.
This will be the only warning.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

One of the errors that Swype points out you can get is "Swype is already installed. Please uninstall Swype and try again." This apparently means that due to the Swype Installer not getting its mind all set up again after you install the Swype software, that it thinks you had Swype installed before and doesn't register the new software for you.

Luckily, it's working for you now :icon_ banana:

That's what happened after the first time; on the second try it spent a bit of time with registering it.

Vladiator

Reaction score
Stopped working for me about a week ago. Uninstalled and downloaded the installer from the email I got from Swype a couple times and reinstalled but couldn't get it to work again. Found the Swiftkey beta and tried that and found that I could text much faster and easier. I won't be going back to Swype.