Switching to CM. Questions.

Reaction score
1) Never installed a ROM with gapps before. Do I install rom, then gapps, then boot it up for the first time? Or do I let it boot in between?

2) Will Market auto-install my apps? I haven't paid for Titanium, so I'm relying on that. I use Titanium to reinstall data for a few select apps.

3) Do Chevy's kernels work with CM? Chevy's 800MHz LV is the only kernel that gets me 24 hours with moderate use.

Thanks so much!

JustisLewis

Reaction score
1) Never installed a ROM with gapps before. Do I install rom, then gapps, then boot it up for the first time? Or do I let it boot in between?

2) Will Market auto-install my apps? I haven't paid for Titanium, so I'm relying on that. I use Titanium to reinstall data for a few select apps.

3) Do Chevy's kernels work with CM? Chevy's 800MHz LV is the only kernel that gets me 24 hours with moderate use.

Thanks so much!

Is this your first rom period? Which version of Cyanogen are you installing? And are you using ROM Manager or SPRecovery? B/c Rom Manager will do it for you. Either way it doesn't matter if you reboot between installing the rom and Gapps. Order is: Wipe data/cache, install rom, install gapps, and if desired install kernel.
2. Honestly I'm not positive b/c I've been using titanium so long. I know the market will install at least some apps, b/c it always trys to isntall them before I restore my titanium backup whenever I switch roms.
3. you can use any kernel with Cyanogen that uses Koush's kernel format. Chevy's kernels are compatible, but you won't be able to use compcache (if you dont plan on using compcache don't worry about it). I would recommend trying a few different ones, because kernel performance differs between users not just based on the phone, but also the ROM. I know for me I used p3droid's kernels with LithiumMod but when I switched to Ultimate Droid I started using Slayher. I'm currently running CyanogenMod 6.1.0 RC2 with a slayher kernel (250-1100).

Reaction score
1. Use rom manager. It will take care of everything for you with regards to gapps.

2. Yup.

3. It will work, but I prefer Slayher.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I've flashed ROMs before (running BB now), but never one with gapps.

And I'm still a little scared of RM. I remember the old days when it really didn't work as expected.

What is the big deal with Slayher all of a sudden? I get about 50% batt life on his kernels compared to Chevy.

Hiroshika

Reaction score
Whoa, how on earth did you get Chevy's kernels booted with CM 6.1?