Switched from Sprint to Verizon to buy the Turbo... and now GPS is no longer free...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Vznavigator went to crud after they started doing 3d maps of bigger cities..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Google maps also allows you to download maps or your predetermined route to be used offline.

S5 tap'n
I thought it only lets you save partial maps/selected areas? As in, you choose what to save. Nokia Here, saves the whole state so you can even input an address in offline mode.

edit: Yeah I just tried saving an area on Google Maps and it doesn't seem to really let me save any map larger than roughly a 30mi diameter. I started in San Jose, CA and it wouldn't really let me pan out after the map showed Palo Alto, and that's just about 30mi on direction.

Nokia Here let me navigate all the way to UCLA in offline mode.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Unless you're an OTR truck driver, that's not a feature most people will use that often. Why have two maps taking up valuable space on your phone when Google maps will save your predetermined route. Even then, how often will you be without a signal along your travels. (Unless of course you're a TMo or Sprint customer) LOL!
I keed I keed!
It could definitely come in handy.
S5 tap'n

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Unless you're an OTR truck driver, that's not a feature most people will use that often. Why have two maps taking up valuable space on your phone when Google maps will save your predetermined route. Even then, how often will you be without a signal along your travels. (Unless of course you're a TMo or Sprint customer) LOL!
I keed I keed!
It could definitely come in handy.
S5 tap'n
I don't doubt that at all. And coverage is usually pretty good, but even my day trips down to San Luis Obispo rendered data useless on the highway sometimes. Heck, rendered a phone signal useless sometimes. For that I blame my s4 though.

I'd just rather not have to worry about saving an area of a map beforehand and would rather just have my backup maps work if I ever need it. I remember 2yrs ago I went camping up to Yosemite on a spontaneous trip with friends where navigation for all our phones on different networks were useless because signal was hopeless up there. Luckily we had in car navigation and all that.

Situations like that I'd rather not have to really plan for and instead just use a backup knowing it'll work. Plus Nokia Here makes my wifi only Nexus 7 double as a navigation unit now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought it only lets you save partial maps/selected areas? As in, you choose what to save. Nokia Here, saves the whole state so you can even input an address in offline mode.

edit: Yeah I just tried saving an area on Google Maps and it doesn't seem to really let me save any map larger than roughly a 30mi diameter. I started in San Jose, CA and it wouldn't really let me pan out after the map showed Palo Alto, and that's just about 30mi on direction.

Nokia Here let me navigate all the way to UCLA in offline mode.
That is correct. You can't get an entire state to save offline on Google Maps. I played around with this when I was making my 1,000 mile journey home for Thanksgiving and the area it'll let you download is fairly small. If you use it to commute in a big city, you'd be alright, but you can't get even a whole state downloaded.

I read that Here can practically download any size area you want as long as you have the storage space to hold the data.

Reaction score
I have started using Route 66 navigation app. It doesn't use data by downloading maps to your phone. By not using data, just GPS, it uses very little battery. It also lists points of interest and businesses. It works very well for me.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I only used VZ Navigator when it first came out for my LG Envy but since going to my OG Droid I've used Google Maps ever since. Google Maps is Free and they Update it. Plus you can sync data from your PC to you Phone so easily with Google Apps

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just super simple but, I just go into Maps, Hit the little "microphone" and say....
"Navigate To" and it takes me there, FREE - Accurately and no fuss.

Can't be simpler than that, not sure what the issue is (?)