Switched from Sprint to Verizon to buy the Turbo... and now GPS is no longer free...

Pologuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I switched from Sprint to Verizon 3 weeks ago to get the Turbo...

However, it seems as though Verizon's GPS app costs $4.99 a month...

Are there any real time, good, GPS apps/programs that anyone here uses and likes?

Thanks!

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
By "GPS" I assume you mean maps/navigation? Google maps or Waze are the top ones. Nokia came out with a new one recently that a lot of folks seen to like.

S5 tap'n

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
GPS is 100% free on the Turbo and on all of Verizon's smartphones. It's just the use of Verizon's navigation app (VZ Navigator) that costs money. As others have mentioned, there are several excellent free navigation apps out there. There's really no reason to even consider paying for Verizon's. I'll echo the above comments and recommend the same apps:

Google Maps
Waze
Nokia Here

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely no need to pay for Verizon's navigation app. Google maps is free, pre-installed, and does a great job at navigation. (the navigation function is inbedded in Google Maps. No longer a standalone app)

Sent from my Droid Turbo

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And don't you mean Sprint? I've never heard of Spring as a carrier (no insult or sarcasm intended).

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yup, give Google Maps, Waze, or Nokia HERE a shot. All free alternatives and I bet work alot better than Verizon Navigator. I don't get how Verizon thinks they can get away with charging for GPS when there are so many free alternatives.

I've never used VZW Navigator, but I bet their "exclusive" feature is to show every Verizon store nearby lol

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Try Nokia's Here maps. You will like it.

kuyawil

Reaction score
+1 for Nokia Here maps!
Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yup, Google Maps here as well. Hit the little microphone icon and speak, "Navigate to...." and it'll take you there for FREE (Data useage/charges Apply for the initial search but Not the entire time you are Naving)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Have to agree with EVERYONE else that's posted in this thread.

VZW Navigator isn't worth even paying for one month to see if it's worth paying for EVERY month.

I personally use Google, which has waze warnings built in and is getting better about re-routing you when there's traffic/accidents/etc. Waze is basically the same thing, but you can report accidents, speed traps, and other things that other drivers might want to know about and be alerted of them as you're getting close to them.

Here has nifty offline abilities that allow you to save map data for much larger areas than Google currently does.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Back in the day Vzw Navigator used to be free and it was a great product. Much easier to use than Google's maps and super reliable. I haven't used it in probably 5 years, but yeah, no sense in paying for something when you have better alternatives for free.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Back in the day Vzw Navigator used to be free and it was a great product. Much easier to use than Google's maps and super reliable. I haven't used it in probably 5 years, but yeah, no sense in paying for something when you have better alternatives for free.

S5 tap'n
Only time I ever tried to use vzw navigator was on my "almost, but not-quite so smart" LG phone before getting the OG Droid. I was lost and the highway was closed for construction. It failed miserably.

By the time I had a better phone, they were charging for it, so I never picked it up again since Google's option was free. And big G has come a long way from then.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Oh yes, one feature of Nokia HERE that I really like is you can download the map of your state for offline use. So if you're in the middle of nowhere without a data signal, you can still navigate without the need for internet. For that reason alone, I have it as a backup navigation app on my phone. I've tested it with routes I commute and it seems to be very accurate in offline mode.