GPS and Battery Life

Raliant

Reaction score
Hey folks:

A few weeks ago, I got the R2D2 Special Edition Droid 2 (woot!) And I have a quick question regarding GPS and battery life.

I use JuiceDefender as a battery life extender (free edition of it,) and I have some simple power saving things set up with the default Droid 2 battery manager. I've started to use Foursquare, however, and with it, I've been turning on my GPS "switch" when I go to check in to somewhere, and then turning it off when I'm done.

However, I've noticed that when I leave the GPS on, it just reacts quicker to Foursquare and Navigation, even if the GPS icon isn't flashing up top near the signal, running apps, etc.

My question is: will leaving the GPS on drain my battery faster, even if it's not blinking up top, denoting the GPS being used? And if it will, can I disable something so that the "Switch" stays on all the time, it will only access the GPS (draining power) when I use a program that accesses the GPS system?

Sorry for the long question! Just didn't know exactly how to phrase it.

Thanks in advance!

OP
R

Raliant

Reaction score
So is that for sure? Because if so, that's great! I remember when I first got my phone I was having some battery trouble till I sorted out all my power draining stuff.

Reaction score
Yeah, GPS is only receiving power when an app or process makes a call to it. If you don't see the icon, it's not drawing battery. I leave mine on so that when I use voice commands to navigate somewhere in the car, I don't have to look away to turn GPS back on.

helron

Reaction score
Droid Razr GPS - which option to pick

The GPS only uses power when the icon is flashing or is solid on.

I am new to this stuff, and hope u can help:
What is the difference between "Google location service".
Standalong GPS Service
VZW location service?

Do I need to use all three? What is the effect on the battery? Is one better or less drain than the other.
Also, according to VZ, my Droid Razr, "has free GPS". Si free GPS: a free App, or free data while using GOS service?

I would appreciate any help. This is my first smartphone, and I'ld like to 'smartly" use it.

many thanks!