[Sunday evening chat] Mobile World Congress edition

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

mwc.jpg

Here we are on the eve of what people hope will be a week of revelation and awe. Manufacturers will be showing off their Spring line up of devices and future concept ideas for future devices. As we prepare for a week of keeping up with our favorite tech news sites what are you most looking forward to this week at Mobile World Conference?

2) On Note2Forums (our sister site) we were talking about Samsung and LG as we watched a clip of a match Android Authority did of the Note 3 and the Pro 2. As we were discussing the pros and cons of Samsung it popped to mind an idea that I would like to see manufacturers adopt. For those of you who rom you may be familiar with Aroma Installer ([Q&A] AROMA Installer - [Dev Move To DevDB] - xda-developers basically it allows users to choose a serious of options and mods ie browser, preloaded apps, features, etc from the set up screen so the user have the choice of what apps and features they want to be loaded on their devices at boot up. With manufacturers venturing into Google play edition devices I would like to see a major manufacturer adopt an Aroma like feature. Basically when I boot up my phone I have a choice between Google Play edition or Manufacturer skin (ie Touchwiz), now understand that by choosing Touchwiz I may be forced to accept Knox security, preloaded apps, and a few preloaded Samsung apps and/or features. Also from Aroma I would have the option of what features I want preloaded (ie if I hated or did not care to use Samsung's motion features I could uncheck the box) and features I choose to add later I could do so via Google Play or Samsung's App market. This allows users to truly have a choice where if I want to rom, get updates fairly quick, or wanted a clean look I would go Google Play software knowing I would give up the ability to use Samsung's features and apps. If I later change my mind and want to go back to Touchwiz I could knowing I will have to give up roms (to a certain point), fast updates, and have to have knox security enabled. As such a feature would be confusing to most users I would understand if that option could only be enabled by going to Samsung's site and enabling it through their software or the option comes preloaded with developer and google play edition devices. But to have the choice brings and entirely new dimension to our phones. What do you think?

3) It's all about the display: I was watching a Youtube video about how different people could see color differently. Meaning what was true or stood out favorably to one person may not be true to another. I am seeing that with displays as some people prefer the saturated colors of Amoled vs what they may see on an ISP. I bring this up because as manufacturers battle to bring us better phones each year from battery life, to cameras, and even high definition displays, what display do you prefer and why?

jspradling7

Reaction score
I want S5 info and Google Glass info if there is any.

I would love to see an Aroma style option on Flagship devices. But I don't think the manufacturers would want to spend the time testing each possible install combination. I would guess it's easier for them to test, troubleshoot, provide customer service for a complete install and let that be the only release. It would be sweet if they would at least try it though.

Amoled. I like saturation in music, smells, and sight. If I want real life color, I'll look out a window or walk outside. I want my displays to have pizzazz. Amoled isn't perfect, the whites suck, but overall I'll gladly choose it every time.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I would love to see an Aroma style option on Flagship devices. But I don't think the manufacturers would want to spend the time testing each possible install combination. I would guess it's easier for them to test, troubleshoot, provide customer service for a complete install and let that be the only release. It would be sweet if they would at least try it though.

Amoled. I like saturation in music, smells, and sight. If I want real life color, I'll look out a window or walk outside. I want my displays to have pizzazz. Amoled isn't perfect, the whites suck, but overall I'll gladly choose it every time.

I think the S5 is the show every one wants to see. It is getting to become the dog and pony...I mean the Samsung and Apple show where people await for the release of The Galaxy or iPhones every year.

Did not take in to account the obvious which is the testing aspect of it. Only way I would think it would be efficient would be if you had 2 choice Google play edition or Samsung (or manufacturers skin). Take it as is with google play or manufacturer. But like you said testing is the key to make sure it works and manufacturers have to see a monetary benefit to do so.

Rhino94

Reaction score

Just letting you know Samsung does not present until tomorrow at (edit) 2 pm Eastern.

Last edited:

jspradling7

Reaction score
My Glass (2.0) came in last week. I'm just getting my feet wet with it, trying to read and catch up as quick as I can. I'm hoping to hear news of upgrades and apps in the next few days.