Sunday Evening Chat: June 22nd

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
391381_heroa.jpg

Welcome to Sunday Evening Chat. For those of you unfamiliar with SEC (Sunday Evening Chat) we use this post to highlight some of the top stories from the past week as well as bring up current events (ie movies, sports, life). The idea of the title came from Espn's Sunday Conversation. So without further delay here are a few topics we are going to discuss.

1) 4.4.4 Kit Kat: We have not even gotten all the nexus devices ota'ed to 4.4.3 and yet we already have a new build (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-forums-member-news-depot/269862-4-4-4-already.html), granted it is to fix a security flaw but hey it is an update. So have you gotten the new update yet, or did you do like me and flash the image yourself (removing the "-w" so not to wipe your device)?

2) HTC Nexus 9: We did not really cover this story in the news section so for those of you looking like "huh" a story broke late this weekend about the HTC Nexus 9. The nexus 9 (This Is Volantis, HTC's Nine-Inch Nexus Tablet) will sport an 8.9 inch 2049x1440 display, Nividia Logan 64-bit processor, 2 GBs of ram, 16/32GB of internal storage, 8MP OIS rear camera 3MP front camera, aluminum zero gap technology, and front facing speakers. This has the potential to be a nice mid sized tablet. Do you think this tablet will actually get released to the public and if so is this something you will consider buying?

3) Samsung Android Wear Smart Watch: For those of you who have had the opportunity to play with the galaxy gear devices (gear, gear fit, gear 2) the display on those devices are pretty good as well as the functionality (minus the heart rate monitor). I suspect their version of android wear (Samsung allegedly launching an Android Wear smartwatch at Google I/O | Android Central) will eventually have and overlay of touchwiz so that it incorporates "S" features. So do you think Samsung can dominate the wearable market like they are currently doing the phone market?

4) USA will be playing Portugal in group play tonight. Personally I am not a fan of soccer but will be rooting for the home team.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) I am currently running 4.4.4 as I updated by flashing the factory images via adb.

2) With Android Silver rumored to replace the Nexus program it have me wondering if this device will be rebranded or will Google still allow oems to release devices under the nexus name?

3) I am leaning toward the Moto 360 but I will be watching the head to head reviews to see which has the best battery life, display, and comfortability.

jspradling7

Reaction score
1. No 4.4.4 yet. My Moto X, G2 and M8 still have 4.4.2 and I'm cool with that. I don't have any desire to upgrade yet.

2. I haven't read much about the silver program. Is the Nexus name patented?

3. If I get a watch it will be the 360. But I have Glass sort of filling that role right now.

4. Historically, I haven't been a soccer fan. But I have been watching some this year. Dempsey is from Nacogdoches Texas not far from here. And I have a friend in Germany who is a huge soccer fan and he is coming to visit next month. Since the USA is in the killer group with Germany it has made for some lively emails. : )

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. No 4.4.4 yet. My Moto X, G2 and M8 still have 4.4.2 and I'm cool with that. I don't have any desire to upgrade yet.

2. I haven't read much about the silver program. Is the Nexus name patented?

3. If I get a watch it will be the 360. But I have Glass sort of filling that role right now.

4. Historically, I haven't been a soccer fan. But I have been watching some this year. Dempsey is from Nacogdoches Texas not far from here. And I have a friend in Germany who is a huge soccer fan and he is coming to visit next month. Since the USA is in the killer group with Germany it has made for some lively emails. : )

1) can't you manually install it through adb like the nexus or is that only the developer and Google play editions. By the way you still have some nexus devices that are still on 4.4.2 as well as it takes awhile for the otas to get pushed to every device.

2) I am not sure how this silver program will work. I partly think we will still see nexus devices just get rebranded into category becoming like its own market where any one can throw their hat into the ring. I think we will still see Google reference devices we will just have a selection vs only one or two phones. Basically think Google play store devices evolved and set up with carriers. Again my opinion based on trying to put the pieces together. I am sure we will get a better picture at Google i/o.

3)moto 360 is sitting at the top spot as well but I want to see reviews first I am not going to blindly buy it or preorder it (not saying that is what you saying you going to do). But moto to me looks better on paper and they have a good track record for battery life and build quality.

4) currently at the local sports grill checking it out. NFL football is my main sport buy hey nothing else is on TV now as far as sports (as far as what I care about) . right now as long as the USA are looking good they have America's interest. The moment we lose it is back to waiting for training camp to open up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I work with a lot of international citizens and this is where all us Americans have a playful debate between soccer and football. What makes football exciting are the collisions and strategies as well as rivalries. But I have to admit soccer athletes have a lot more endurance. I am ignorant of the sport so I'm like "y'all don't stop to call plays or time out, where are the TV time outs and the commercials". Soccer is 45 minutes non stop wow I'm out of breath watching them. Could you imagine NFL non stop...nope because what build those billion dollar stadiums and pay those million dollar players are the TV contracts and commercials. Don't get me wrong I do not mind the breaks to get a drink or use the restroom. I do not want to miss an interception, sack, or touchdown pass.
But it is weird to see that you can actually set your clock to the scoreboard clock as to how much time is left in the game (minus extra time). NFL has a 60 minute time clock that actually ends up being a 3 hours game.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If the HTC tablet gets released I may buy one. I have the first two nexus 7 tablets and love them. My kids use the original N7 and I use the 2013 model. That being said, it also depends on the price. I'd likely sell my 2013 model.