Suggested minfree settings for Sapphire?

velocity92c

Reaction score
I normally use minfreemanager, but I have a feeling the sapphire team has probably already set the minfree settings to be optimal. Can anyone tell me what the default minfree settings are in Sapphire and whether or not I should use minfree manager still?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never found a need for an app like that. In an operating system like Android (linux), free memory is wasted memory, and that is essentially what you are doing with that app. Yes, a little bit of free memory is nice and all, but making it so you have absurd amounts free at one time is just going to waste battery constantly reopening apps after its killed. Android, IMO as well as others, does a great job at handling its memory. You can kill one or two mischievous apps if you need too, but I wouldn't auto kill or mess with the OS's memory settings.

RobStemen

Reaction score
The Android task manager does a very good job of multi-tasking and managing available memory all on it's own. You don't need any sort of task manager/memory manager/anything manager, because the Android system does a great job on it's own. Don't even use the freemem script or you'll experience frustrating closes, homescreen redraws, etc.

wingdo

Reaction score
I normally use minfreemanager, but I have a feeling the sapphire team has probably already set the minfree settings to be optimal. Can anyone tell me what the default minfree settings are in Sapphire and whether or not I should use minfree manager still?

minfree default is what one should use. The more freemem you FORCE the system to keep, the quicker the OS will kill off apps (perhaps one you still need) to keep the minfree space available. Setting the minfree number to something higher than default just wastes memory and kills applications which do not need to be killed. Let the very smart OS do it's job the way it was meant to. Tank is right, free memory is wasted memory.

OP
V

velocity92c

Reaction score
I don't really care about battery life as my phone stays plugged in all day. I've always noticed when setting minfree manager to aggressive my phone runs snappier, and that includes switching between applications. I don't use a task killer for anything but killing unresponsive apps but my phone is much slower with the minfree settings default.

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
The way that these run is so that its not just chopping the heads off the apps like ATK does and the other "killers" do. It modifies the android's actual way it deal with how much free RAM is needed before it starts ending processes the correct way. So when you use things like minfree and autokiller, its not just killing them, its ending them the way that the system would normally do it.
Also, I dont know about you guys, but my droid's normal system does not like to manage RAM at all, it gets all the way down to 12Mb of RAM at sometimes and the phone does not respond the same as if it had about 40Mb free.
So pretty much what minfree has is a set of thresholds(the first three you do not want to mess with as I'm sure you already know):
- Foreground App: Dont touch
- Visible App Dont touch
- Secondary Server Dont touch
---These are by level of importance when it comes to an app that it may kill---
- Hidden App - This is the one that will for the most part designate how much RAM that your system decides to keep free, so if you are like me, you like to have a fast phone, more RAM free = faster phone. *I have mine set to 74* This may cause redraws if your system is deciding to kill the launcher constantly. So if you notice this happening feel free to turn this number down a bit. about 40Mb free and you will still be nice and smooth
- Content Provider - This one is similar to the one below *set to 94*
- Empty App - You can set this one fairly high because these are the apps that dont matter really so as soon as you system drops below whatever you have set, it will begin to phase out these useless apps *I have mine set for 138*

Think about it people, this is a Droid. It doesnt have a whole lot of RAM just to be thrown away and when it is, you suffer. It doesnt have 512Mb so you need to manage it!
Well, my one post for the day is done. Hope someone at least reads it dancedroid

roll3r

Reaction score
I've also found that adjusting minfree is beneficial, as long as you know what you're doing! Android's memory killer is a somewhat complicated process, so read up on it before changing the settings:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666

FYI, you can also use a script to set minfree on boot, so no need for an application to be installed.

Also, as was mentioned before, it does a really good job with stock settings, so you probably won't notice much of a difference. I just have OCD when it comes to tweaking my phone...

Last edited:

NewDroidOrder

Reaction score
I've also found that adjusting minfree is beneficial, as long as you know what you're doing! Android's memory killer is a somewhat complicated process, so read up on it before changing the settings.

Also, as was mentioned before, it does a really good job with stock settings, so you probably won't notice much of a difference. I just have OCD when it comes to tweaking my phone...

haha OCD FOR SURE! im sthe same way!