Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

According to research performed for traffic management firm, ByteMobile, 90% of all data traffic on mobile networks is being used by only 10% of those networks users. Data carriers world-wide have been concerned about the strain on their existing networks. They have been expanding and upgrading; however, some analysts predict that even new 4G networks like Verizon's LTE could be saturated very quickly with data hungry users outstripping the pace at which the network infrastructure is enhanced. Luckily for us, Bytemobile had this to say,
    Let's hope its enough!

Source: Telegraph via BGR
  2. blitzburgh39

blitzburgh39 New Member

Sounds like major throttling to me.
  3. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

I would like to know the ratio of those on the networks who actually have smartphones to those who don't. To know how many users also have a device that's worthy of traffic usage, is alot more worthy then just stating statistics of the nature in the article. Or if all they did was use those with smartphones, doesn't seem to indicate.
  4. Brandonovich

Brandonovich New Member

Remember that you have to take into account that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot
  5. curtdragon

curtdragon New Member

Sounds like the Pareto principle to me
  6. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ha, soon you'll be going for an upgrade and they're gonna say this: "Your one of our biggest data users, we require a double payment for your line."
  7. NeoPhoenixTE

NeoPhoenixTE Member

Given the recent Net Neutrality outrage, I was thinking the same thing. The "content filtering" in particular leaves me feeling uneasy.
  8. Dan_08

Dan_08 New Member

Well Bytemobile isn't working for Verizon so let's hope they don't follow suit.
  9. cpjr

cpjr New Member

I would like to know how many of those are under 18 years old, lol.
  10. Detonation

Detonation New Member

This isn't surprising. I remember reading a similar stat for regular internet usage as well. You get the common person who browses, checks email, and downloads a few songs, and then you get the power user who is constantly downloading 24/7 off of usenet and torrents. Same goes for mobile, just replace torrents with tethering.
  11. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

And yet they still require everyone to get a data plan. My dad would have an Android phone right now if he wasn't forced into a data plan. He's a truck driver and can't use a private phone on the road. If he gets caught, its a huge fine for commercial drivers. But he'd love one for use at home. Frankly, its just greed from all the telcom companies.
  12. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

i see what you did ther >.>
    lol
  13. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Enough for what? To keep Verizon happily throttling people's data plans and skinning people alive just to make a buck? And everything except "caching" sends shivers up my spine. What policy enforcement? Whose policy? What content filtering? That's straight up censorship. Capacity control is straight up throttling. And access control makes my blood run cold. Does that mean people can only get online at certain points of the day? They have the right to boot anyone using data off the network?

There's nothing here that's good for us, the end users.
  14. vernontwg

vernontwg New Member

that's just how we roll hahaha
  15. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I run anywhere from 500meg to a little over 1 gig a month depending on how much I travel. Anyone using over 2 gigs is doing some serious usage shifting from PC, or streaming a heck of a lot of music.

When I see people on here using 9-10gigs a month or more and crying about having to pay more or whatever I just laugh. Sort of like a 500lb person crying about being limited to 5 plates at the all-you-can-eat buffet.
  16. nakhleh926

nakhleh926 New Member

I use an average of 24gb a month and i've never tethered once, but yeah as you stated I stream a TON of music, they better not limit my awesome :(.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  17. furbearingmammal

I tether a lot, true, but I also use a lot of data on my phone -- streaming music, Nav, YouTube when I'm out and about... I tend to hover about 10GB a month. Of course, I do NOT have access to a WiFi network to attach my Droid to when I'm at home or work or anything, so all data is 3G.
  18. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Well, like a lot of people, I am on Wifi at home - a service for which I pay $50 per month. Not saying you're looking for sympathy or whining, but you understand why people get irritated when heavy users get all outraged and cry about being gouged.
  19. furbearingmammal

I haven't once complained about being gouged. I think the $30 a month unlimited plan is good and fair. I live in the countryside where the nearest DSL line ends three miles thataway and the nearest cable line is just about a mile that way, that way, and that way. So, at $50/foot and 5,280/mile, that's $264,000 to get something other than satellite -- not including the actual installation fee or monthly cost -- which we're considering getting as soon as finances clear up, but I balk at paying $500 for equipment fees just to be throttled 85% of the time or billed extra for my normal data use.

Anyone who whines about getting top-notch service at a bargain price is insane. As for Verizon Wireless jacking the rates, the fact of the matter is they have capacity and to spare or they wouldn't be pushing the smartphones. If they're intentionally creating a shortage then they're alienating their customer base, who will leave when the contract is up. It's bad business. There are bottlenecks in some areas, to be sure, but the capacity for 4G is so great it'll be relieved shortly. When you look at spoilers like home/free WiFi hotspots then you're not getting the whole picture of overall data use, but when you're looking at overall IMPACT to the system, it strikes me as being skewed as well. Let's look at the times of highest demand -- 6AM to 9PM. Personally I use 90% of my data from between 6PM and 4AM. You can't tell me there are that many people in my immediate area using data heavily after 9PM. :)

The majority of the heaviest data users on the network are people in areas under-served by other broadband services. I'd stake a home-cooked meal on that. :)
  20. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Ever noticed the people that usually complain about the cost are the ones tethering and using a ton of data ;)