Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
AndroidDataHungry.jpg

According to research performed for traffic management firm, ByteMobile, 90% of all data traffic on mobile networks is being used by only 10% of those networks users. Data carriers world-wide have been concerned about the strain on their existing networks. They have been expanding and upgrading; however, some analysts predict that even new 4G networks like Verizon's LTE could be saturated very quickly with data hungry users outstripping the pace at which the network infrastructure is enhanced. Luckily for us, Bytemobile had this to say,
...in 2011 “operators will add ‘smart capacity’ solutions to better utilise capacity for rising traffic demand. These solutions combine caching, content filtering, policy enforcement, access control, and capacity control points to create smarter networks for managing existing capacity.”
Let's hope its enough!

Source: Telegraph via BGR

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to know the ratio of those on the networks who actually have smartphones to those who don't. To know how many users also have a device that's worthy of traffic usage, is alot more worthy then just stating statistics of the nature in the article. Or if all they did was use those with smartphones, doesn't seem to indicate.

Brandonovich

Reaction score
Remember that you have to take into account that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Ha, soon you'll be going for an upgrade and they're gonna say this: "Your one of our biggest data users, we require a double payment for your line."

Dan_08

Reaction score
Well Bytemobile isn't working for Verizon so let's hope they don't follow suit.

cpjr

Reaction score
I would like to know how many of those are under 18 years old, lol.

Detonation

Reaction score
This isn't surprising. I remember reading a similar stat for regular internet usage as well. You get the common person who browses, checks email, and downloads a few songs, and then you get the power user who is constantly downloading 24/7 off of usenet and torrents. Same goes for mobile, just replace torrents with tethering.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
And yet they still require everyone to get a data plan. My dad would have an Android phone right now if he wasn't forced into a data plan. He's a truck driver and can't use a private phone on the road. If he gets caught, its a huge fine for commercial drivers. But he'd love one for use at home. Frankly, its just greed from all the telcom companies.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Luckily for us, Bytemobile had this to say,
...in 2011 “operators will add ‘smart capacity’ solutions to better utilise capacity for rising traffic demand. These solutions combine caching, content filtering, policy enforcement, access control, and capacity control points to create smarter networks for managing existing capacity.”
Let's hope its enough!

Enough for what? To keep Verizon happily throttling people's data plans and skinning people alive just to make a buck? And everything except "caching" sends shivers up my spine. What policy enforcement? Whose policy? What content filtering? That's straight up censorship. Capacity control is straight up throttling. And access control makes my blood run cold. Does that mean people can only get online at certain points of the day? They have the right to boot anyone using data off the network?

There's nothing here that's good for us, the end users.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I run anywhere from 500meg to a little over 1 gig a month depending on how much I travel. Anyone using over 2 gigs is doing some serious usage shifting from PC, or streaming a heck of a lot of music.

When I see people on here using 9-10gigs a month or more and crying about having to pay more or whatever I just laugh. Sort of like a 500lb person crying about being limited to 5 plates at the all-you-can-eat buffet.