Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users

moosez3

Reaction score
I use an average of 24gb a month and i've never tethered once, but yeah as you stated I stream a TON of music, they better not limit my awesome :(.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

24 GB !!!

What, do you stream 24/7?!

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I use an average of 24gb a month and i've never tethered once, but yeah as you stated I stream a TON of music, they better not limit my awesome :(.

24 GB !!!

What, do you stream 24/7?!

from when I wake up till I sleep, excluding some social occasions, every time I drive and sometimes while I'm asleep, even. I'm an audiophile, id die without my music :p.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'd use WiFi if the Droid 1 could keep connected to the internet via Secured WiFi. But since Verizon decided they didn't want us Droid 1 users using WiFi (note, Sarcasm intended) - I have to use 3g even while next to a WiFi router at home/work. That said, the most I've ever used is 2GB and I average about 400mb. I sure hope that my next Droid later this year will be more WiFi compatible.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just going to assume the carriers paid Bytemobile for this study. I looked for an answer but could not find one & I know they didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts. These same kinds of studies were used as justification for bucket internet in test markets for Time Warner Cable.
Frankly I'm sick of hearing about congestion from the carriers. If they can't meet demand (which I know they can) they need to stop adding customers they can't support.

And there you go. You don't hear internet companies crying about how a certain user might go over 5GB of usage in their home per month, yet you hear about it from the cell companies. If they sell unlimited plans then they shouldn't cry about people using what they call is too much data. Do i think people should be using tether to use their ps3, no, but there are alot of people that do use the phone to listen to music and watch alot of youtube videos, and with what we see is an addition of netflix app and hulu for the 4g phones, does anyone really think that the data is going to go down? i mean seriously. If i can stream netflix to my phone, you better believe that your going to see a very high usage on my end, why? because i like watching movies, and if i can watch them when i have downtime i'm going to.

As i've always stated, I do think there should be an option in between for users who only do use like 1-2 GB a month, and it should be less then unlimited, but you don't sell a product as unlimited and then cry about how people are using too much data. If people are using 30GB of data, the carriers can easily track what type of data they are using. I view this as car insurance, I pay alot for car insurance, and i've never once been pulled over or once gotten into any kind of accident, yet i still end up paying for the mistakes of others.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
@ New2u - Exactly. I'm so sick of companies offering UNLIMITED but in the fine text they do everything they can to limit the unlimited. Either that or they complain acting like they are the victims when they were the ones flaunting their "unlimited" data plans on TV. Why complain about 3G usage when Verizon releases a phone (Droid 1) that can't keep a WiFi signal?

Why doesn't Verizon have a 2GB plan? I mean no one with a smartphone is going to do the 150MB plan. I'm sure a lot of us would go to the 2GB plan - hoping that they keep an Unlimited Plan (maybe charge $10/mo more for that?).

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@ New2u - Exactly. I'm so sick of companies offering UNLIMITED but in the fine text they do everything they can to limit the unlimited. Either that or they complain acting like they are the victims when they were the ones flaunting their "unlimited" data plans on TV. Why complain about 3G usage when Verizon releases a phone (Droid 1) that can't keep a WiFi signal?

Why doesn't Verizon have a 2GB plan? I mean no one with a smartphone is going to do the 150MB plan. I'm sure a lot of us would go to the 2GB plan - hoping that they keep an Unlimited Plan (maybe charge $10/mo more for that?).

The reason they don't have a 1-2 GB plan is for the reason that if they think that only 5-10% do more then 2GB then they would only have 5-10% of people paying the extra money for that service. Now i'm sure that usage charts will change as soon as people start going to 4G, and from what I understood about 4G is that it's more optimized for higher usage anyways. So only time will tell.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Really, why would you be watching all that many movies on your smartphone? If I had a physical copy, maybe on an airplane but that's not streaming. Don't get the obsession with streaming, I think a large part of it is people do it just because it's cool that they can.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Out and about, watch a movie while waiting for the doc, then pick it up when you're home on your PC or TV. :) Not an ideal situation, but though of us with nooks and kindles and whatnot will read a chapter or two on our phones while waiting in line, or whatever. Same principle.

moosez3

Reaction score
Really, why would you be watching all that many movies on your smartphone? If I had a physical copy, maybe on an airplane but that's not streaming. Don't get the obsession with streaming, I think a large part of it is people do it just because it's cool that they can.

Streaming in general is of course just because I can, I use it for pandora, slacker, and other radio apps. Also for NFL and Yahoo Football Apps, and yes its useful and "just because I can." If I couldnt I would be forced to tell a person, "hey wait till we get by a computer so I can load this video" fail.

As far as movies are concerned, The biggest thing I would use it for streaming to my TV with the DLNA or HDMI out. But like all new technology things its not something we NEED but we will use it anyways.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Streaming in general is of course just because I can, I use it for pandora, slacker, and other radio apps. Also for NFL and Yahoo Football Apps, and yes its useful and "just because I can." If I couldnt I would be forced to tell a person, "hey wait till we get by a computer so I can load this video" fail.

And that's my point. You're shifting usage, and to the extent that LTE shifts more usage or enables people to cut the cord all together don't expect mobile broadband not to "share" in that savings. If the alternative is a $50 home broadband plan or most are paying $30 for mobile and $50 for home, they are going to monetize that convenience and capability.

Don't expect to cut the cord, pile on usage and not pay more as a result. Or at least I expect we'll see something like speed tiers in mobile and that would seem to make the most sense.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't know about speed tiers; I expect data caps on LTE till the system's paid off or people scream so loud Verizon is forced to comply -- but that's pretty much what everyone's expecting.

Anyone who complains about new, improved service costing more than the old service has the option of NOT using it, or griping about it -- and this is where people gripe. I say let them gripe. It really doesn't hurt anyone and it makes them feel special. :)

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one thinking about heading back to a "dumb phone." I'm thinking about dropping my smartphone, getting a dumb phone, and maybe a 4g card for my laptop. But Piquat is right - the costs are extremely high.