Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users

nakhleh926

Reaction score
I use an average of 24gb a month and i've never tethered once, but yeah as you stated I stream a TON of music, they better not limit my awesome :(.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I tether a lot, true, but I also use a lot of data on my phone -- streaming music, Nav, YouTube when I'm out and about... I tend to hover about 10GB a month. Of course, I do NOT have access to a WiFi network to attach my Droid to when I'm at home or work or anything, so all data is 3G.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I do NOT have access to a WiFi network to attach my Droid to when I'm at home or work or anything, so all data is 3G.

Well, like a lot of people, I am on Wifi at home - a service for which I pay $50 per month. Not saying you're looking for sympathy or whining, but you understand why people get irritated when heavy users get all outraged and cry about being gouged.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I haven't once complained about being gouged. I think the $30 a month unlimited plan is good and fair. I live in the countryside where the nearest DSL line ends three miles thataway and the nearest cable line is just about a mile that way, that way, and that way. So, at $50/foot and 5,280/mile, that's $264,000 to get something other than satellite -- not including the actual installation fee or monthly cost -- which we're considering getting as soon as finances clear up, but I balk at paying $500 for equipment fees just to be throttled 85% of the time or billed extra for my normal data use.

Anyone who whines about getting top-notch service at a bargain price is insane. As for Verizon Wireless jacking the rates, the fact of the matter is they have capacity and to spare or they wouldn't be pushing the smartphones. If they're intentionally creating a shortage then they're alienating their customer base, who will leave when the contract is up. It's bad business. There are bottlenecks in some areas, to be sure, but the capacity for 4G is so great it'll be relieved shortly. When you look at spoilers like home/free WiFi hotspots then you're not getting the whole picture of overall data use, but when you're looking at overall IMPACT to the system, it strikes me as being skewed as well. Let's look at the times of highest demand -- 6AM to 9PM. Personally I use 90% of my data from between 6PM and 4AM. You can't tell me there are that many people in my immediate area using data heavily after 9PM. :)

The majority of the heaviest data users on the network are people in areas under-served by other broadband services. I'd stake a home-cooked meal on that. :)

cpjr

Reaction score
Ever noticed the people that usually complain about the cost are the ones tethering and using a ton of data ;)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Heh, anyone else notice that Android is Canadian?

AndroidDataHungry.jpg

lol.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ever noticed the people that usually complain about the cost are the ones tethering and using a ton of data ;)

Of course. Like I said, how in the world do they expect sympathy.

Any way you cut it, whether VZW has the capacity or not, the laws of supply and demand show people pay $60, $80 or more for broadband and mobile. If people are gaming the system, intentional or otherwise, basically shifting or substituting usage it only makes sense they should expect to pay more. VZW did not sell you unlimited tethering, it's that simple.

There's plenty of electricity in the grid, but if I use more I still have to pay more. It's not like the power companies can store excess capacity to sell later.

jbdow

Reaction score
Well, vzw charges extra for tethering, and they don't strike me as
the kind of people who would put up with losing money for long.
and btw, i'm new to vzw, but i'm thinking my usage is gonna be
close to 1G, and i thought that was a lot...but hey, if they get
too expensive, i can drop them and go back to my tracphone.
I'm tough like that...:icon_eek:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Download and install the My Verizon app. Now go stream music for an hour, download some files for your PC (stuff you'd like to try, so you can transfer it over) like some open source games, on top of your usual data use. Now check tomorrow and see how much more data you've used. I think you'll be surprised. These phones EAT data and spit out huge numbers. :)

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Download and install the My Verizon app. Now go stream music for an hour, download some files for your PC (stuff you'd like to try, so you can transfer it over) like some open source games, on top of your usual data use. Now check tomorrow and see how much more data you've used. I think you'll be surprised. These phones EAT data and spit out huge numbers. :)

Especially if you're a power user as many of us are. I use about 1gig on average and I don't even do that much. It's not hard to get up there quick.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to assume the carriers paid Bytemobile for this study. I looked for an answer but could not find one & I know they didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts. These same kinds of studies were used as justification for bucket internet in test markets for Time Warner Cable.
Frankly I'm sick of hearing about congestion from the carriers. If they can't meet demand (which I know they can) they need to stop adding customers they can't support.